collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Boxing 2022  (Read 33116 times)

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: Boxing 2022
« Reply #240 on: August 21, 2022, 12:33:13 AM »
What was the post-fight stuff from AJ all about? Only caught bits online but seems a little embarrassing.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #241 on: August 21, 2022, 12:36:31 AM »
Think he had one cuff on the head too many.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #242 on: August 21, 2022, 12:39:09 AM »
Better from AJ but split decision?  Not for me.  Usyk was the more mobile boxer and landed well where AJ sprayed quite a lot.  The better fighter won, sadly.  Good to see the Flag bearing afterwards in support of Ukraine. 
This, surely it could've only been the British judge that gave it to AJ.

It was the American.
In that case, it was the American judge that was watching the wrong fight

I assume he was looking for punches that were actually making an impact. Usyk is a fantastic technical fighter but he fought like it was a amateur bout tonight (other than round 10), focusing on landing lots of shots to impress judges rather than to hurt AJ. It was impressive and showed his higher skill level but I can see why a judge might see through it.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #243 on: August 21, 2022, 12:41:57 AM »
Think he had one cuff on the head too many.

His corner kept telling him he was winning and he knew he'd landed some big shots without really feeling in danger himself (r10 aside). I reckon he genuinely felt he'd done enough to win.

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #244 on: August 21, 2022, 12:43:37 AM »
I think 116-112 in favour of Usyk was about right. Much closer than the 1st fight but Usyk still a level above. Joshua was a bit frustrating at times. Hit some good body shots but didn't follow up enough.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #245 on: August 21, 2022, 12:53:01 AM »
Found that a bit disrespectful from AJ tbh, it's Usyk's moment, nobody cares about your life story at this moment in time. Especially when you've already flounced off once and chucked the belts on the floor.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #246 on: August 21, 2022, 01:48:39 AM »
Listened to the fight on the radio and most of the people they spoke to there had Usyk by at least two.  Might not be the career-ending loss for Joshua that some had predicted it might be and there probably are still some pretty high-profile fights out there for him, albeit not on the scale he has experienced up until now.  Whether he wants to carry on against the likes of Whyte etc. is another thing though.

Can't really see Fury being too interested in fighting Usyk, so might finally go through with his long talked about retirement. Usyk v Wilder might be the next best bet.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #247 on: August 21, 2022, 01:59:35 AM »
Armani Jeans is 32, Usyk is 35. 36 in a few months.

It's not impossible that AJ could play the waiting game, pace himself and have 2-3 money-spinning fights in the next few years and face an Usyk on the decline around 2024/25.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #248 on: August 21, 2022, 03:31:10 AM »
Armani Jeans is 32, Usyk is 35. 36 in a few months.

It's not impossible that AJ could play the waiting game, pace himself and have 2-3 money-spinning fights in the next few years and face an Usyk on the decline around 2024/25.

I agree about AJ playing the waiting game, but I think that's it for him vs Usyk. Fury is the next step for Usyk, and either he wins (I cannot see that, personally, I think Fury has the ring IQ to beat him) or he loses and there will be a rematch.

If he wins, he will have unified the Cruiserweight and Heavyweight divisions. Why bother fighting on beyond that? Not only would it be unprecedented, but the only way would be down.

If he loses and there's a rematch, he'd be at least 38-odd before entertaining his next opponent.

Even if AJ makes it back to contention, assuming Fury beats Usyk and becomes undisputed, Usyk would be facing AJ for no belts, so why bother?

I think AJ was so angry tonight because he knew. There'll be no third fight. Even if he rebuilds and unifies the division, he knows he won't get another shot at Usyk. It's not terminal, but it is definitely a permanent stain on his legacy.

Online JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #249 on: August 21, 2022, 08:58:37 AM »
Well AJ should have shown a bit more aggression and anger during the fight not after. He was out boxed again by Usyk who just did enough to convince the judges.

Offline nigel

« Reply #250 on: August 21, 2022, 10:16:52 AM »
Better from AJ but split decision?  Not for me.  Usyk was the more mobile boxer and landed well where AJ sprayed quite a lot.  The better fighter won, sadly.  Good to see the Flag bearing afterwards in support of Ukraine. 
This, surely it could've only been the British judge that gave it to AJ.

It was the American.
In that case, it was the American judge that was watching the wrong fight

I assume he was looking for punches that were actually making an impact. Usyk is a fantastic technical fighter but he fought like it was a amateur bout tonight (other than round 10), focusing on landing lots of shots to impress judges rather than to hurt AJ. It was impressive and showed his higher skill level but I can see why a judge might see through it.

Aren’t the judges sat at different places ring side?
In which case the American judge would have had a completely different view of the fight.

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #251 on: August 21, 2022, 10:34:54 AM »
Joshua lost the plot after the fight. Bizarre.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #252 on: August 21, 2022, 10:26:20 PM »
What was the post-fight stuff from AJ all about? Only caught bits online but seems a little embarrassing.

He's a massive bellend. His stuff on the mic was bad enough when he managed to somehow win a fight, but nobody at all wants to hear from you when you've just lost again. His movement makes Frank Bruno look like Ali.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #253 on: August 22, 2022, 11:33:43 PM »
Better than listening to Fury try and bloody sing,  I can't find the off button fast enough.  There does seem to be an in built knob button to our heavyweights.  Usyk just seems a bit potty,  but he's a hell of a boxer. 

Online Rory

« Reply #254 on: August 22, 2022, 11:43:35 PM »
Better than listening to Fury try and bloody sing,  I can't find the off button fast enough.  There does seem to be an in built knob button to our heavyweights.  Usyk just seems a bit potty,  but he's a hell of a boxer.

Usyk is a proper eccentric and quite a witty man, I think, and he's been respectful throughout.

AJ made a bit of a tit of himself, but credit to him for coming back, giving Usyk praise and talking about the war in Ukraine. Joshua has quite often been a bit of a PR machine, so I don't mind giving him a bit of leeway for being a twat after what must be a devastating loss.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal