collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Steve67
[Today at 10:58:00 PM]

Re: MOTD by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:56:39 PM]

Re: MOTD by VillaTim
[Today at 10:55:53 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:54:44 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:54:37 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:51:52 PM]

Re: MOTD by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:50:34 PM]

Re: MOTD by VillaTim
[Today at 10:49:52 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A Ron Saunders statue  (Read 9604 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
A Ron Saunders statue
« on: December 24, 2021, 05:00:06 PM »
Over time there's been a lot of talk about how something should be done to comemorate Ron Saunders, and in particular that the club should erect a statue. The club didn't do the McGregor one - it was a bright idea that was taken up by the Supporters Trust. The club agreed to match funding but the rest was done by us. This was in the days before crowd funding so we rattled buckets, begged, twisted arms and had one memorable gig before Randy Lerner, to his credit, said we'd done enough and donated the rest. We agreed on a design, got a sculptor and worked with them until unveiling. And so, if this statue is ever going to exist we'll have to do it ourselves. Ron Saunders was not only our greatest-ever manager, he also said he was proud to be a Villa supporter, so it's only right that the supporters should run this project. It won't be easy and you'll probably be looking at something approaching £100,000 to be raised. If you're involved it's going to be a lot of work and be prepared for comments about how bad it looks and where's the money gone. But when it finally happens you'll be able to look at it forever and think "I helped do that".  Someone else might want to do it and not want me involved which will be fine - I'll step aside, but first of all anyone who's interested message me and let's see what the interest is.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 05:11:07 PM by dave.woodhall »

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
Re: A Ron Saunders statue
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 05:49:17 PM »
I don’t mind helping again.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2021, 05:55:11 PM »
Would happily donate a reasonable amount to this.

Would the club not chip in at all? I mean Lerner did given he wasn't all bad in early years so would be surprised if the current hierachy weren't interested, Arsenal have what 4-5 statues of recent greats and Wenger dotted around Emirates and Kroenke dosen't care about the football side much at all so would be surprised.

Ron Saunders standing aloft infront of a New North stand would be great arrival point from those coming from the Witton side on matchday (when I'm walking past McGregor statue there's always loads of fans having selfies with it on matchday despite it being hidden away a bit).

That seems ideal location especially if timeframe to raise cash is 3-4 years.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2021, 06:02:30 PM »

Would the club not chip in at all? I mean Lerner did given he wasn't all bad in early years so would be surprised if the current hierachy weren't interested, Arsenal have what 4-5 statues of recent greats and Wenger dotted around Emirates and Kroenke dosen't care about the football side much at all so would be surprised.

Ron Saunders standing aloft infront of a New North stand would be great arrival point from those coming from the Witton side on matchday (when I'm walking past McGregor statue there's always loads of fans having selfies with it on matchday despite it being hidden away a bit).

They'd have to be approacehd and we'd see what they have to say about donating. It should always be acknowledged that no matter how hard we worked to get the McGregor statue fnished, it would never have happened without Lerner's contribution.   

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2021, 06:09:05 PM »

They'd have to be approacehd and we'd see what they have to say about donating. It should always be acknowledged that no matter how hard we worked to get the McGregor statue fnished, it would never have happened without Lerner's contribution.   

O.k. I'd just be really surprised given the obvious feeling they have for the club (at least what gets communicated through the press/their PR) if it was flat rejection of the idea.

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 06:35:13 PM »
I’d like to help. Crowdfunding should make the money side a bit more straightforward. I have an idea of what it should look like too…

Made from granite

Offline steamer

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2021, 06:56:26 PM »
I am sure the club would chip in
Get a costing and see what needs to be spent
If it cost a 100,000 and 20,000 chipped in it would be a fiver each
I am sure there are, in addition to the club many Villa supporters who own businesses that would chip in with some sponsorship
Launch the project !

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2021, 06:59:31 PM »
Great idea Dave. I would happily contribute towards this.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2021, 07:10:11 PM »
Surely Purslow would at least share his thoughts on it at a future meeting with the fans reps.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2021, 07:12:45 PM »
Great idea and Dave you are the right person to push this. Doesn't need to said but I will happily donate.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2021, 07:26:12 PM »
It is great that you are taking this forward Dave, and I think most people would happily donate to it.

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2021, 07:34:30 PM »
More than happy to donate, probably much easier to do now than in the bucket rattling days.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2021, 07:37:56 PM »
I’d happily donate but if it’s going in the North Stand car park then we need to factor in the potential redevelopment of that end of the ground.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2021, 07:52:11 PM »
Arsenal have what 4-5 statues of recent greats and Wenger dotted around Emirates and Kroenke dosen't care about the football side much at all so would be surprised.

A private development of that size probably can with an obligation for public art, which I am sure their statues would qualify.  Loads of paving slabs/brick near the statues are sponsored which seems a good way to raise money.

Good luck with it.  It’s a great idea.  I live near the Emirates and the statues are a nice touch and make an otherwise unremarkable modern stadium feel a bit classier.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 07:54:19 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2021, 08:09:03 PM »
Put me down for a sub.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal