collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: A Ron Saunders statue  (Read 9609 times)

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
I am Re: A Ron Saunders statue
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2021, 11:18:07 AM »
Although I could see the appeal of it being outside The Holte, I’d be more inclined to name the North Stand after him when it’s rebuilt and have a statue of him in front of it.

Offline Villan82

Re: I am Re: A Ron Saunders statue
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2021, 11:21:24 AM »
Although I could see the appeal of it being outside The Holte, I’d be more inclined to name the North Stand after him when it’s rebuilt and have a statue of him in front of it.

Agree with this. We need a Ron Saunders stand. And the suggestion for a statue of Mortimer, with the European Cup, is ace and all.

Offline exigo

Re: A Ron Saunders statue
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2021, 11:45:53 AM »
Would definitely chip in for this.
Have always thought the space on top of the Holte Suite would be perfect for some sort of tribute the 82 European Cup win as well. Saunders outside a new North Stand would be very fitting too.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2021, 01:42:09 PM »

Agree with this. We need a Ron Saunders stand. And the suggestion for a statue of Mortimer, with the European Cup, is ace and all.

I think if you have too many statues, it devalues them slightly, as well as obviously doubling the cost. Saunders definitely deserves one though.

Offline Broadlee

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2021, 05:36:22 PM »
I’m in and so would the family also.
Maybe a cheeky letter to each of the 14 or so players he regularly used to win the league and Andy Gray as well
I would think they would support the proposal.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2021, 06:09:18 PM »
First of all so many good servants of the Villa, where do you start and what do you do.  The club should take charge I think and at the very least say no stands are to be called after an ex player, manager or owner, that would mean straight away reclaiming the Witton Lane as the Witton Lane.  In place I would place a plaque to honour Doug Ellis (no matter how much my dislike of him me or anyone else holds) -

We certainly should do something for Ron Saunders and yes a statute but along with some of the players of the era possibly Brian Little, Dennis Mortimer and possibly Jimmy Rimmer  (I think Andy Gray and his antics wanting a move away rules himself out) 

People would  then start quite rightly arguments over the likes of Peter Mc , Pongo or Brue Rioch.  So many others to consider.  What about Jack Grealish for example. 

Such a touchy and difficult subject.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2021, 06:23:52 PM »
I'm all for acknowledgement of what he did but where do you stop with this sort of thing? And don't ever forget that he left us and went straight to you-know-where and didn't give a toss what we thought of it.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2021, 06:26:53 PM by martin o`who?? »

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2021, 06:28:00 PM »
Put me down please Dave I would love to help.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2021, 06:32:46 PM »
I'm all for acknowledgement of what he did but where do you stop with this sort of thing? And don't ever forget that he left us and went straight to you-know-where and didn't give a toss what we thought of it.

He was doing his job and did a bloody good one for us.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2021, 06:50:27 PM »
I’ll be in favour of anything to honour Ron Saunders

On the subject of statues
I always ask fans of other clubs when I’m chatting or talking in the pub or whatever to tell me who the statues are of outside their grounds
Obviously they are always Great players or managers of the past

Then I say yeah that’s the difference mate between Aston Villa and every other club in the land
Outside our ground is the statue of the man that founded the football league
It top trumps everyone and everybody

It’s still our league they just play in it

(yeah I know it’s a stretch but if you shout really loud when you’re saying it, it helps)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2021, 06:54:34 PM »
I'm all for acknowledgement of what he did but where do you stop with this sort of thing?

Well if it's for winning the league I guess it would stop at Saunders and George Ramsey

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2021, 06:58:45 PM »
I would like a moveable statue.

If it has a disagreement with the owner, I suppose it'll make it easier for it to bugger off across the city.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2021, 07:06:04 PM »

He did relegate them though, then he relegated Albion. Then retired. Absolute legend!

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #43 on: December 25, 2021, 07:29:42 PM »
Would certainly give towards this. Would like the new North stand to be christened the Ron Saunder stand

Online thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: December 25, 2021, 10:43:39 PM »

He did relegate them though, then he relegated Albion. Then retired. Absolute legend!

Didn’t he manage blues to defeat against Altrincham and then sell Steve Bull from Albion to Wolves?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal