collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Chelsea - Pre Match Thread  (Read 18118 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Aston Villa v Chelsea - Pre Match Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2021, 11:51:51 AM »
If teams get low on players the Managers and coaches should be made to put their boots on and play
That new rule should suit us more than most

I'm sure Gerrard and McAllister could still do a job.

Villa Seniors and U23's 2 Chelsea Seniors and U23's 1.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2021, 11:53:33 AM »
Can't we ask the Women's team to fill in?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2021, 12:03:28 PM »
Can we actually field a team for this or will it be Liverpool in cup under 12s? I assume those who were out for Norwich will come back into contention at least.

I guess possibly announcing you only have to isolate for 7 days if yo provide negative test would help us field a decent team.

Chelsea don't want to play either so this is difficult one to call. We'll give them a game for sure if we can put out a competitive team.

1-1.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2021, 12:14:21 PM »
I think there will be great pressure to get this game played as it's the Boxing Day televised game.  If it's on and I hope it is I think we'll get the win.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2021, 12:19:29 PM »
Ministers are meeting now in Downing Steet and are said to be considering three options.
These are thought to be Stilton, Wenslydale, and Brie.
A I've been meaning to do a version of that joke with Red, White and Rose - though think I prefer yours

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2021, 02:36:36 PM »
0-2 if it takes place at all.

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2021, 02:46:44 PM »
Chelsea can do one.

We're winning this.

3-1 Villa.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2021, 03:43:38 PM »
Can't we ask the Women's team to fill in?

They're pretty crap, unfortunately.

Online eamonn

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2021, 03:52:14 PM »
Like the way  he dealt with the knuckle-head question in his presser about how Villa players plan to spend their break at Christmas. "What fuckin' break are yer talking about, 'la ?!"

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2021, 05:27:42 PM »
Gerrard talking about fringe players needing to be called on and that the availability is changing day-by-day. Who knows what side we'll have out but I think the league are taking a harder stance on getting the game on if there are players available, particular considering Gerrard mentioned the Barrow game and players from that day being considered "first teamers".

The show must go on! 

Yup, if the new rule is indeed 13 players and a goalie, made up from anyone who has "a first-team appearance", then our match-day squad could include both Chukwuemekas, Ramsey the younger, philogene-bidace, Archer, and Lindley as 7 of the 13, plus first-team players with very few appearances this season like Hause, Axel, Davis and Anwar.

And that's just first-team appearances THIS season, if they're going to include the FA Cup game with Liverpool from last season for players with first-team experience then we can probably add a few more "youth" players to the eligible list in Chrisene, Swinkels and Bogarde (think most others from that game are on loan or have left?).

Our starting 11 could look VERY strange indeed... we can only hope theirs is similarly weakened such that whatever side we put out is capable of making a game of it.

I hope it's all smoke and mirrors and we're missing two or three, but it's fundamentally a minimally rotated first-team that takes the pitch...

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2021, 09:56:21 AM »
Although it kind of shamefully exposes the way we see players as commodities, I liked what I saw on Twitter when the team v Norwich was announced. Something like…

“So it looks like it’s Steer, Sanson and El Ghazi with Covid.

I’ll take that.”
« Last Edit: December 23, 2021, 10:09:08 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Online eamonn

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2021, 12:01:42 PM »
Ugh.

Offline wolfman999

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2021, 12:35:07 PM »
While on the subject of players availability, I read that following the injury that Traore picked up while on international duty and, after about three months of recovery, he is now fit again to go off and play in the ACON thus being again unavailable to us and risking further injury. Is there any actual benefit to us as a club signing such players and paying their no doubt generous wages if they never seem to turn out for us occasionally?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2021, 12:38:05 PM »
While on the subject of players availability, I read that following the injury that Traore picked up while on international duty and, after about three months of recovery, he is now fit again to go off and play in the ACON thus being again unavailable to us and risking further injury. Is there any actual benefit to us as a club signing such players and paying their no doubt generous wages if they never seem to turn out for us occasionally?

Anyone know if Trez has been called up, that would be a bit of a p take given he hasn't even come on yet in any of the games and he's at least fresh from not playing for 8 months so would be useful if we have any sort of xmas period.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2021, 12:52:23 PM »

There are lots of benefits to signing players who don't play international football.  But the obvious downside is that they're often not as good as the ones who do.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal