collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2-1 Leicester City post match thread  (Read 26812 times)

Online RamboandBruno

Re: Aston Villa 2-1 Leicester City post match thread
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2021, 08:19:56 PM »
That was something else wasn't it? A great win.

Thought we started really sloppily and were giving the ball away too easily. Fortunate to only concede one before the break and thought the crowd were a bit flat first half.

Then we have a goal disallowed with Schmeichel the ham actor staying down like he'd been hit by a train and boom, the team and the fans ignited.

Great pantomime booing of Schmeichel which seemed to get to him. He took as long as he could away from his goal at the start of the second half because he knew what was coming. His kicking was off and the fans energy was a major factor in that second half.

Thought McGinn was sensational as was Nakamba. Great double from Konsa. It's good to see our defenders getting amongst the goals.

Our most satisfying win this season bar Manchester Utd. Just a great fighting performance.

Fantastic.

This sums up everything i was going to say. The whole Smeichal thing got everyone going, great fun.
McGinn, was just unbelievably good today, my MoM by a mile.
It just felt a really battling and important win. Gwon the lads!!! 

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2021, 08:26:45 PM »
That was something else wasn't it? A great win.

Thought we started really sloppily and were giving the ball away too easily. Fortunate to only concede one before the break and thought the crowd were a bit flat first half.

Then we have a goal disallowed with Schmeichel the ham actor staying down like he'd been hit by a train and boom, the team and the fans ignited.

Great pantomime booing of Schmeichel which seemed to get to him. He took as long as he could away from his goal at the start of the second half because he knew what was coming. His kicking was off and the fans energy was a major factor in that second half.

Thought McGinn was sensational as was Nakamba. Great double from Konsa. It's good to see our defenders getting amongst the goals.

Our most satisfying win this season bar Manchester Utd. Just a great fighting performance.

Fantastic.

This sums up everything i was going to say. The whole Smeichal thing got everyone going, great fun.
McGinn, was just unbelievably good today, my MoM by a mile.
It just felt a really battling and important win. Gwon the lads!!!

Its funny I felt the same after the disallowed goal.
I had no doubt that we'd be better as for a start the boss would get into the side and that incident just lifted us.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2021, 08:27:11 PM »
It explains his terrible kicking in the second half. He was still in agony from the near fatal injuries Ramsey had inflicted.

The "Wooooooaaahhh you fat bastard!!!!" Whenever he took a kick was one of the many things I enjoyed about the 2nd half.

Offline Three Spires Villa

« Reply #93 on: December 05, 2021, 08:39:52 PM »
It explains his terrible kicking in the second half. He was still in agony from the near fatal injuries Ramsey had inflicted.

The "Wooooooaaahhh you fat bastard!!!!" Whenever he took a kick was one of the many things I enjoyed about the 2nd half.

By me it was “Wooooooooaaaahhhh you CHEATING bastard “

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #94 on: December 05, 2021, 08:41:58 PM »
The midfield was tremendous again today especially Nakamba who has seemed a completely different player over the last month.

Something which has been noticeable over the last two games is the tactic of rotational fouling to break up play and maybe a reinterpretation of the laws is required because it is so obviously being used by some teams to gain advantage.

Offline supertom

« Reply #95 on: December 05, 2021, 09:01:15 PM »
Good display. Once we got a grip on Barnes we weren't unduly troubled (Martinez worldy aside). Cash grew into the game defensively. Always an outlet forward though by his standards his delivery today wasn't at best.

Ezri and Mings were very good. The fullbacks improved as things went on. Ash was surprisingly sloppy on occasion, but otherwise atypically cool headed and he really doesn't play like he's 36. Top nick the lad.

The midfield did very well today. Luiz and Beundia can try and force it through the eye of the needle a bit too much. That said, Douglas was solid today. Beundia very good at times. He's moving in the right direction. He doesn't get the goal, but still chalks an assist (I'd have given it to Emi2 to be honest). There is definitely a player there.

Ramsay had a good game. He looks good at this level. Like everyone, had a few sloppy passes. His goal was perfectly fine. Another cockup by me. Ludicrous decision with Schmeichal having his arched finger tips on top of the ball. That's not in control. JJ was robbed.

Ollie worked his socks off. Should have been more clinical and should have scored a couple today.

McGinniesta was dare I say, Gerrard-esque. Superb display. He's clearly relishing how Gerrard wants him to play.

Carney and Sanson had good cameo appearances. We were good value for the win, BUT...we need to tidy up the passing and we also need to take our chances. We spurned 3-4 very good opportunities today. We could have put the game to bed.

Our set pieces the last two games have been very good. Austin, you're back in the game son! (No doubt riffing more with the new coaches).

Side note: Is it just me, but the last few games, we're getting hammered with niggly fouls by the opposition. I thought the ref, aside from being poor generally today, was also very lenient on Leicester. The fouled us cynically on so many counters (Ndidi a number of times) and didn't get booked. It does seem there's more physical allowance now, but these are stone wall and often cynical fouls.
Speaking of cynical fouls, in the lead up to their goal. Nakamba needs to be taking a yellow for the team and take out whoever it was feeding Barnes out wide to isolate cash. So I get sometimes it need to be done. But a card needs to come, especially if someone is fouling persistently.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2021, 09:02:29 PM »
The disallowed goal and the HT team talk really seemed to kick our lot up the arse. A great reaction. Players looked hungry and aggressive. Little more composure and we’d have won 4-1

Gerrard has improved our CM a lot in such a short space of time. JJ should be hanging on his every word.

Offline supertom

« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2021, 09:03:53 PM »
The midfield was tremendous again today especially Nakamba who has seemed a completely different player over the last month.

Something which has been noticeable over the last two games is the tactic of rotational fouling to break up play and maybe a reinterpretation of the laws is required because it is so obviously being used by some teams to gain advantage.
I'm astonished they only had one yellow. Ndidi must have done it several times. I'm all for improving the flow of games and adding some phsyicality back, but a cynical foul is still a cynical foul. It was another shite reffing performance for me today.

Offline rougegorge

« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2021, 09:05:44 PM »
We were great in the second half apart from missing chances, but I didn't actually think we were too bad in the first half, although Barnes had too much space and he is a good player.

However what stopped us in our tracks often in our own half was the constant tag team fouling Leicester did. If you take into account a couple of advantages we were given, they fouled nearly once every 3 minutes on average yet somehow only got one yellow for the cynical Maddison trip.

In fact that alone annoyed me most out of Oliver's star performance today.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2021, 09:06:00 PM »
Little more composure and we’d have won 4-1

Maybe. But it also one of those where it could easily have seen Emi not quite reaching that header and one of those Cash blocks in the first half not happening, we lose 3-2 and we're all grumpy and whining about how wasteful we are.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2021, 09:13:46 PM »
He's got us looking like a proper team in quick time, and it's also the first in many years we've looked that without Joe.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2021, 09:18:22 PM »
Great win considering the number of players we had out as well. But the officials; yet again awful. Are we going to get charged like we did against Palace for a poor performance by the official? The disallowed Ramsey goal aside, there was the Watkins goal (looked like a fair tussle with Evans to me), the McGinn double tackle near the end, allowing for the rotational fouling, booking Nakamba for getting fouled and then finding 4 minutes added time from nothing. Lads did well to ride that crap.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2021, 09:28:34 PM »
Very good second half. Really good start to Gerrard’s reign.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2021, 09:29:41 PM »
Brilliant spell in the second half when we totally overran Leicester.What is noticeable is how much closer the midfield are to one another and now and again we get great passing between them.
Fabulous entertainment.

Online kippaxvilla2

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal