collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Watkins, Ings, both or neither?  (Read 44602 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Re: Watkins, Ings or both?
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2021, 09:51:09 AM »
When we signed Ings I thought it was finally going to be one on the pitch, one on the bench and there's nothing wrong with that. Yesterday was the ideal time to bring a big hitter on with twenty minutes to go. Luckily we had Bailey fit to do that job.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2021, 09:52:45 AM »
I really like Ings and he’s got nothing to prove, he’s a quality player,

He has for us. While we desperately needed another striker, I think one who has a more similar style to Watkins would have been better. You don't get much in the way of running from Ings.

Online aldridgeboy

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2021, 11:23:44 AM »
For years we’ve kind of had a pretty much fixed starting 11.
Him and Ollie clearly doesn’t work.

I’m happy for him to be sub, and come on after 60 mins if we need a goal.

That’s what the top teams do with their squads. 

Online rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2021, 12:04:09 PM »
Was delighted Ollie scored. While I agree he’s better centrally than on the wing, I feel much of his issues this season is down to confidence. At times he’s seemed ponderous/slow/unsure what the next move should be, and then lost the ball. When he’s confident, he drives at defenders and makes the right decision more often than not.

Offline Risso

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2021, 12:20:26 PM »
Ings had by far the fewest touches of any starter yesterday. Needs to earn his starting place.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2021, 12:31:43 PM »
Ings is prob better coming off the bench or filling in for injury/ suspension in the foreseeable.

At his age he probably won't tolerate that beyond this season.

I wouldn't be stunned if a Brighton or similar came in for him at the back end of the Jan transfer window either.  Might give us scope to bring in a more suitable deputy.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2021, 12:31:50 PM »
I’d be happy to go with either and I’m still not convinced that the two can’t work together. That would be dependent on a particular system of course. Last season Watkins was excellent but he had absolutely zero competition for his place. This season he’s got Ings and players coming through the youth system putting pressure on his position which I think has led to his poor start. For the first time in ages we’ve got genuine quality in that position to come in and that should encourage a higher level of performance

Offline GarTomas

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2021, 12:50:01 PM »
Ings is the striker for the team Gerrard wants to build, more possession oriented where his link up play and finishing will come to the fore.

Watkins for where we are not where the transition from front to back is more direct.

There is no way Ings would of scored that first goal yesterday.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2021, 01:08:48 PM »
For his goal yesterday, the starting position could just has easily have been the wide left of three. I think it's psychological and he just needs to get over it a bit. If we play them both, they need free licence to go wherever.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2021, 01:10:30 PM »

There is no way Ings would of scored that first goal yesterday.

He would have done if he was playing against us though.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2021, 01:12:12 PM »
For his goal yesterday, the starting position could just has easily have been the wide left of three. I think it's psychological and he just needs to get over it a bit. If we play them both, they need free licence to go wherever.

I wonder if being number one last season just allows him to relax? Now he may feel he has something to prove because his body language is just not the same when he’s out on the left, but apparently he did well there for Brentford.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2021, 01:25:26 PM by Ian. »

Offline Risso

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2021, 01:23:36 PM »

I agree with the Ollie bit. I don't think Ings is a free roaming sort of player though. He might do a bit of dropping deep to link play, but mostly he's an 18 yard player, looking for balls to feet to get his shot off.

Offline caster troy

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2021, 02:06:35 PM »
We've got better wingers than Ollie, so let's play them if available and keep him in his best position. Ings will have to fight for his place for now.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2021, 02:08:22 PM »
We've got better wingers than Ollie, so let's play them if available and keep him in his best position. Ings will have to fight for his place for now.
Gerrard does not play wingers, Ollie was not on the wing yesterday.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2021, 02:18:03 PM »
I would leave Ings up front as an out and out striker and allow Watkins a free role coming deep or going wide.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal