collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 360406 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #2190 on: January 24, 2022, 01:14:10 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I think we are 2 centre mids light in the squad, but this guy doesn't look like the combative number 6 we need to me. Maybe Naka is that though, and this guy will slot into the squad.

We need an upgraded version of Marv ideally.  Marv is fine as a squad player slotting in here and there, but we need a better version of him in the starting XI, which Bissouma is to be fair.

If we sign a DM and Coutinho stays, barring losing any players, I'm starting to wonder what signings can be made in the Summer? After upgrading the promotion squad, we're now upgrading players we bought to replace them.

Competition for Cash, unless Kesler has a real breakthrough.  Genuine first team competition for Mings and then the possibility of selling Ings and bringing in a real top quality forward.

Guilbert may well be the man for that, and I rate Kesler too. Can see Gerrard liking Guilbert as he is good going forwards.

Agree we need a centre half capable of genuinely competing for a place with Mings / Konsa (think that will be Gomez) and ideally a better striker (think that will be Suarez).

Trez, Luiz, and Ings can probably all go to recoup some of the spend and wages.

Unless we get European football then we won't be in a position to rotate centre backs, injuries aside. Konsa is one of the best CBs in the league and Mings for all his faults is top half anyway. It's going to be a hard sell to bring in someone decent there. Tuanzebe I think realised this recently and pissed off. Hause is happy enough being Mings backup it seems.

Full back is a position we should be rotating a bit more for sure. Cash particularly had it far too easy last season.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2191 on: January 24, 2022, 01:16:04 PM »
Guilbert won't play for us again. I don't understand the candle held for him to be honest, he's a limited player.

FWIW, he's in the WhoScored Ligue 1 Team of the Season so far..

Good for him, presumably as a result we'll have bigger teams than Strasbourg offering a big fee to take him from us.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2192 on: January 24, 2022, 01:49:07 PM »
Guilbert won't play for us again. I don't understand the candle held for him to be honest, he's a limited player.

I think it depends on whether he wants to come back, and if he does, if Gerrard wants to take a look at him. Two ways of looking at it I reckon - he's done quite well over there by all accounts, so buying somebody like that would cost a lot more than we paid for him so worth giving him a chance. Or, because his value will have increased, we'd make a tidy profit selling him. FWIW I liked him first year back, thought he was one of our better players.

Offline villabear

« Reply #2193 on: January 24, 2022, 02:07:08 PM »
Andy Brassell (European football expert apparently) on Talkshite not exactly singing Bentancur’s praises. Says not really kicked on since been highly rated at 21. Reckons we should stick with what we’ve got. Obviously hasn’t watched us very much.

Online Gerrin

« Reply #2194 on: January 24, 2022, 02:13:15 PM »
Who does everyone think will be offloaded at the end of the season?

El Ghazi
Trez
Guilbert
Steer
Davis
Targett?
Young?
Luiz mainly because he'll only have 12 months left. Does anyone know if he's been offered a new contract?

Not sure what we'll get for that lot.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 02:15:06 PM by Gerrin »

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2195 on: January 24, 2022, 02:25:18 PM »

I think it depends on whether he wants to come back, and if he does, if Gerrard wants to take a look at him. Two ways of looking at it I reckon - he's done quite well over there by all accounts, so buying somebody like that would cost a lot more than we paid for him so worth giving him a chance. Or, because his value will have increased, we'd make a tidy profit selling him. FWIW I liked him first year back, thought he was one of our better players.
I always liked Guilbert but for me I want to see Kessler given a chance, I think he might be a bit special.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #2196 on: January 24, 2022, 03:41:50 PM »
I think Guilbert's contract may be up in the summer?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2197 on: January 24, 2022, 03:53:46 PM »
Kessler is the wildcard for this. Guilbert is, in my opinion, easily good enough to be part of the squad, he's a regular for a team that are challenging for the top 4 in a decent league.

However if the club think Kessler is close to breaking through then I can see the appeal of cashing in on a valuable asset whilst we can. If they're thinking this way I'd like to see Kessler ge a few games soon though.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2198 on: January 24, 2022, 04:00:22 PM »
Andy Brassell (European football expert apparently) on Talkshite not exactly singing Bentancur’s praises. Says not really kicked on since been highly rated at 21. Reckons we should stick with what we’ve got. Obviously hasn’t watched us very much.

Andy Brassell's watched pretty much every football match that has ever happened.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #2199 on: January 24, 2022, 04:08:39 PM »

Andy Brassell's watched pretty much every football match that has ever happened.

Is that Sarcasm or is he on this stuff ?

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2200 on: January 24, 2022, 04:17:14 PM »
I think Guilbert's contract may be up in the summer?

2023 according to Transfermarkt

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #2201 on: January 24, 2022, 04:20:51 PM »
With Cam out on loan, maybe we'll see another experienced striker on loan, eg a better version of Borja Bastón

I think Lil Louie is now the third choice striker until Bert gets back from AFCON

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2202 on: January 24, 2022, 04:22:45 PM »

Not at all. I can't think of anyone who knows more about football than him.

Offline villabear

« Reply #2203 on: January 24, 2022, 04:22:54 PM »

I think he's OK. One of the better journo's IMHO.

Offline King Cropley

« Reply #2204 on: January 24, 2022, 06:11:16 PM »

I don't ordinarily follow the stats sites, but I found this earlier when trying to find out more about Boubacar Kamara, this venn diagram came up with interesting names in the middle......was compiled in May last year admittedly.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal