collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 360487 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #975 on: January 05, 2022, 06:51:36 PM »
Didn't we have a player called Dean Glover in the 80s? Do any of you old 'uns recall if he had a good peg on him? Always sounds like a character from Emmerdale Farm.

I think he was moved from centre half to midfield. Good feet but too slow. He scored a good goal on the League cup quarters against Arsenal. We won the replay at Highbury and with Oxford in the semi, Doug declared that "the future looks exciting"
That statement was followed by a humbling at Oxford, barely escaped relegation, then finished bottom the next season.

Great times

As far as rubbish claims to fame go, this takes some beating.

Someone my mum worked with lived next door to Dean Glover when he played for Port Vale. As a young football fan in the 80s she thought I'd be impressed if she introduced me to him at his house.

Turns out I wasn't!

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #976 on: January 05, 2022, 06:56:58 PM »
Buendia and Coutinho can play in the same team. They prefer different sides anyway, and Gerrard likes the ' two 10s' thing.
Will Coutinho do the pressing required for Premier League sides? - I don't recall him being the sort of player who will.

Offline enigma

« Reply #977 on: January 05, 2022, 07:00:32 PM »
Coutinho would be in line with Gerrard’s comments about an exciting player, but I’d be surprised if he arrived here.

Coutinho's career is in free fall. Bombed spectacularly at Barca and even Bayern on loan. His options, bar playing for the Saudis in Newcastle, may be limited enough. Reeks of Bale or Hazard to me.

Seems a strange enough link given we spent huge money on Buendia in the summer in the same position and arguably he gave his best display for the club last game.
To be fair he didn't bomb at Bayern. He won the Champions league with them. He generally did well there. As for Barca, God only knows why they bought him as they had Messi playing in his position and it's just a basket case of a club right now.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #978 on: January 05, 2022, 07:04:01 PM »
Pound for pound, it's still got to be Balaban.

That was serious money at the time, and he didn't even look like a footballer.

How bad could he have been? I barely remember him in a Villa shirt. Played Champs League for Brugge afterwards and for Croatia. Was there a bit more as to why he hardly got a chance with us?

From our stint in the second tier, Toss McCormack, Henri Lansbury and Scott Hogan will never be forgotten, three terrible professionals and big money flops. Kalinic, Bunn, Nyland three utterly useless keepers aswell. Micah Richards efforts in a cup game against was it Yeovil? Drinkwater esque.

Online usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #979 on: January 05, 2022, 07:11:17 PM »
Buendia and Coutinho can play in the same team. They prefer different sides anyway, and Gerrard likes the ' two 10s' thing.
Will Coutinho do the pressing required for Premier League sides? - I don't recall him being the sort of player who will.

No less than Traoré would.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #980 on: January 05, 2022, 07:13:22 PM »

No less than Traoré would.

I’d rather see Coutinho stroll round on the pitch than Traore

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #981 on: January 05, 2022, 07:14:52 PM »
Without scrolling back, just heard Coutinio on loan

Did you receive that by telegraph?
Xmas first class post. Useless.
Bloody hell, wait til he hears Joes gone to Man City

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #982 on: January 05, 2022, 07:22:55 PM »
Coutinho would be in line with Gerrard’s comments about an exciting player, but I’d be surprised if he arrived here.

Coutinho's career is in free fall. Bombed spectacularly at Barca and even Bayern on loan. His options, bar playing for the Saudis in Newcastle, may be limited enough. Reeks of Bale or Hazard to me.

Seems a strange enough link given we spent huge money on Buendia in the summer in the same position and arguably he gave his best display for the club last game.

How is scoring 1 in 3 (8 in 23) and winning the European Cup bombing or in free fall?

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #983 on: January 05, 2022, 07:25:56 PM »
Think it makes sense - Bailey's is apparently out for another few months, we have some good kids, but still at the learning stage.

It would be realitively low risk, could be amazing.  If its shit then not much lost in the scheme of things. 

Let face it if he can help turn a two draws into a win, thats 4 points - which is probably 1 or 2 league places. 

So long as this is a "punt" and were still looking for better full backs and a DM then happy days.

Plus if it goes wrong, its got gerrard all over it so I can get indignant about it - so win, win really  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 07:40:07 PM by Beard82 »

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #984 on: January 05, 2022, 07:32:56 PM »
Approached Bologna for Aaron Hickey so says Rob Dorsett.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #985 on: January 05, 2022, 07:33:13 PM »
This isn't just about the player. He's genuinely a world class talent. It would speak to the ambitions of the board, and certainly the new manager and his influence as a world renowned figure in the game. Most importantly a message to other players, especially those currently at the club that this is a place you need to be. And our many young, talented footballers will get the message that Aston Villa is going places.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #986 on: January 05, 2022, 07:35:19 PM »
Aaron Ramsey in next.

Another waster :)

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #987 on: January 05, 2022, 07:37:49 PM »
Salah in next.

Moan o'clock.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #988 on: January 05, 2022, 07:39:51 PM »
Approached Bologna for Aaron Hickey so says Rob Dorsett.

Be over the moon if this transfer comes off. Looks quality.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #989 on: January 05, 2022, 07:44:24 PM »
I haven't seen anything of Hickey - so, is it a case of he looks good on YouTube, or do people watch a lot of Italian football?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal