collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 356461 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #750 on: January 04, 2022, 01:40:51 PM »
We're not skint.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #751 on: January 04, 2022, 01:53:00 PM »
Sorry not skint.  Wrong word.  But sell to buy.  Closer to FFP and the desire to become self sufficient.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #752 on: January 04, 2022, 01:59:49 PM »
Sorry not skint.  Wrong word.  But sell to buy.  Closer to FFP and the desire to become self sufficient.

Oh  dear, you mentioned the F words...…….

richtheholtender

« Reply #753 on: January 04, 2022, 02:02:38 PM »
We're skint if you compare us to united, Liverpool, arsenal or else we would just compete with them on similar terms. We're also skint if you compare us to City and Chelsea whi seemed to have had takeovers where they can pump as much money in to compete with the above mentioned clubs but we can't do that. I suppose the really indicator of where we are in the food chain and how good FFP is meant to be will be Newcastle start splashing, either scenario doesn't look good for us does it? Either FPP is a relevant thing, in which case we have to spend within our means and therefore we'll struggle to compete. Or FFP is a waste of time in which case why haven't we gone for Chelsea style when the Russian took over? And Newcastle will just completely destroy us financially anyway. So I would say in the grand scheme of things, while we aren't going g bust anytime soon, in Premier league football terms were skint. We're in the wolves Everton bracket.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #754 on: January 04, 2022, 02:18:04 PM »
We're not skint.

Maybe we should move to a Trillion Trophy stadium and look for treasure  ;D

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #755 on: January 04, 2022, 02:29:00 PM »
People really need to stop comparing what our rich owners have done (or haven't done) to what happened at Chelsea and Man City in the first few years of their respective takeovers by wealthy owners.

Chelsea had just finished 6th when Abramovich took over, and City had just finished 9th.  We were just starting our third season in the Championship when NWSE took over, and we've faced FFP restrictions from day one.  The "starting positions" for each club could not be more different.

Chelsea got a full 8 years before FFP scrutiny became a thing, Man City got two full years.  And it STILL took City three full seasons to get into the top 4. Three years, two with unlimited spending, to go from 9th to 3rd.

And that all happened while player prices were much lower than they are today.  £30-40m got you pretty much anyone in world football except Ronaldo or Messi.

I'm sure Newcastle are about to spend a couple of hundred million on players (by the summer) - in the same way we did in the first 12 months when we got promoted.  But they won't be buying a squad capable of getting into the top 4 - because that's simply not possible under the current FFP rules.  They'll spend a couple of hundred million, and probably find themselves in upper mid-table. 

I want us buying superstars, and seeing those players in claret and blue at Villa Park, but I also realise that's entirely unrealistic, at least in the short term.  Newcastle might do it differently, and rather than buy 10 players at an average of about £10-15m like we did when we got promoted, they might buy three big names for £50m a piece and try to get success that way. 

That wasn't an option for us, we had too many squad places to fill.  But that's changed now, we HAVE a premier league quality squad, and the players who come in from this point forward should be capable of improving the first eleven and turning the established starters into squad players.  But it's taken us three years to get to this point. 

I don't know what we can and can't spend, or how our books look and what we have to do to stick within the current rules, but I DO believe that if we are allowed to spend it, we will.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #756 on: January 04, 2022, 02:36:12 PM »
We need to ramp up the commercial revenue side. Those last figures were embarrassing.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #757 on: January 04, 2022, 02:36:21 PM »
People really need to stop comparing what our rich owners have done (or haven't done) to what happened at Chelsea and Man City in the first few years of their respective takeovers by wealthy owners.

Chelsea had just finished 6th when Abramovich took over, and City had just finished 9th.  We were just starting our third season in the Championship when NWSE took over, and we've faced FFP restrictions from day one.  The "starting positions" for each club could not be more different.

Chelsea got a full 8 years before FFP scrutiny became a thing, Man City got two full years.  And it STILL took City three full seasons to get into the top 4. Three years, two with unlimited spending, to go from 9th to 3rd.

And that all happened while player prices were much lower than they are today.  £30-40m got you pretty much anyone in world football except Ronaldo or Messi.

I'm sure Newcastle are about to spend a couple of hundred million on players (by the summer) - in the same way we did in the first 12 months when we got promoted.  But they won't be buying a squad capable of getting into the top 4 - because that's simply not possible under the current FFP rules.  They'll spend a couple of hundred million, and probably find themselves in upper mid-table. 

I want us buying superstars, and seeing those players in claret and blue at Villa Park, but I also realise that's entirely unrealistic, at least in the short term.  Newcastle might do it differently, and rather than buy 10 players at an average of about £10-15m like we did when we got promoted, they might buy three big names for £50m a piece and try to get success that way. 

That wasn't an option for us, we had too many squad places to fill.  But that's changed now, we HAVE a premier league quality squad, and the players who come in from this point forward should be capable of improving the first eleven and turning the established starters into squad players.  But it's taken us three years to get to this point. 

I don't know what we can and can't spend, or how our books look and what we have to do to stick within the current rules, but I DO believe that if we are allowed to spend it, we will.

Spot on.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #758 on: January 04, 2022, 02:39:45 PM »
i thought that the owners had said that we would be selling players to fund new signings

Online GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #759 on: January 04, 2022, 02:41:42 PM »
i thought that the owners had said that we would be selling players to fund new signings
Selling to create space in the squad, more like!

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #760 on: January 04, 2022, 04:23:42 PM »
We’re skint.  Players leaving before we will buy.
No we are not.

Offline frank black

« Reply #761 on: January 04, 2022, 04:52:12 PM »
No chance Gerrard would sign up for the job if we were skint. And even less chance considering he says we have exciting targets lined up and we’d be lucky to get £15m total for any outgoings.

Wouldn’t be shocked to see Luiz leave this month. If the rumours of him playing out his contract are true.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #762 on: January 04, 2022, 05:00:40 PM »
We need to ramp up the commercial revenue side. Those last figures were embarrassing.

They could start by increasing the output of half time catering staff. They all look like rabbits between headlights the second that halftime whistle goes - I've never known service so flippin slow!

Utter shambles.... I actually think it's got worse over the years!

Offline john2710

« Reply #763 on: January 04, 2022, 05:03:25 PM »
The squad is unbalanced, with no genuine defensive cover or defensive midfielder.

There's an abundance of wide players & attacking midfielders. Including some young players from the U23's.  I'd expect players leaving from these areas to free up room for additions & the younger players.

But I doubt there will be any £30m arrivals.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #764 on: January 04, 2022, 05:04:50 PM »
It's nice to see us realise that selling players we no longer want is an option after over a decade of just watching them run down contracts and go for nothing having sat on their arses for years.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal