collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 360859 times)

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #720 on: January 03, 2022, 11:24:26 AM »
London Evening Standard are saying Arsenal interested in both Ollie and Douglas.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #721 on: January 03, 2022, 11:36:57 AM »
And were interested in Saka and rice.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #722 on: January 03, 2022, 11:40:54 AM »
Slightly concerned at Watkins' non presence yesterday and SG's opting not to explain why he wasn't around the squad.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #723 on: January 03, 2022, 11:46:05 AM »
Can't see it myself. If we flogged Watkins to Arsenal who desperately need a striker then you'd have to say we have no intention of competing with them.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #724 on: January 03, 2022, 11:46:59 AM »
Slightly concerned at Watkins' non presence yesterday and SG's opting not to explain why he wasn't around the squad.
I’m hoping it’s to keep Man Utd guessing

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #725 on: January 03, 2022, 11:52:26 AM »
I thought he was talking about absentees and said we have covid and injury issues and that Watkins would be back for the next game. I thought he was quite clear without being explicit.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #726 on: January 03, 2022, 11:54:13 AM »

As I said in the other thread, Gerrard has been at great pains not to single people out who are out with Covid, even when it's glaringly obvious. He said something in the post match thread about not saying whether players are out with Covid or an injury, and then said Ollie should be back for the next game. My Sherlock Holmes super-sleuthing ability therefore lead me to believe that Watkins has Covid and won't be joining Arsenal this transfer window.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #727 on: January 03, 2022, 12:07:21 PM »
See Everton have been busy. A left-back and now Rangers right'back. Unlikely we're gonna raid them I reckon if that happens. Maybe Mr Gerrard agreed not to come in for players in exchange for moving here?

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #728 on: January 03, 2022, 01:59:29 PM »
As said before we have a squad of mainly 5 or 6 out of 10 PL level players.
I think Martinez SJM and Konsa are maybe 7+ out of 10.
To push for top 6 you need more 7/8 out of 10.
It’s a pretty big ask.

Dunno. top6 puts you in the Arsenal, Tottenham, west ham category and I wouldn't say any of them have massively better players than our 1st team or massively more expensive so we couldn't attract similar. What we need is obviously replacing some of the 1st team over time but the biggest difference between us is they have better squads at least with Arsenal and Tottenham, so instead of basically having a back 4 where it picks itself, we need to be giving the Manager the option of dropping some of them.

The problem is that any fringe players that have ambition are going to want to play regular games or else they'll be off (ie Tuanzebe). We're not in Europe, likely to be knocked-out early in both Cup competitions so there is less game time to share round than at Spurs or West Ham.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #729 on: January 03, 2022, 02:57:36 PM »
According to Nixon we are after a left back, a DCM and a replacement centre half.  Obvious I know but he’s usually pretty clued up.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #730 on: January 03, 2022, 03:13:13 PM »
As said before we have a squad of mainly 5 or 6 out of 10 PL level players.
I think Martinez SJM and Konsa are maybe 7+ out of 10.
To push for top 6 you need more 7/8 out of 10.
It’s a pretty big ask.

Dunno. top6 puts you in the Arsenal, Tottenham, west ham category and I wouldn't say any of them have massively better players than our 1st team or massively more expensive so we couldn't attract similar. What we need is obviously replacing some of the 1st team over time but the biggest difference between us is they have better squads at least with Arsenal and Tottenham, so instead of basically having a back 4 where it picks itself, we need to be giving the Manager the option of dropping some of them.

The problem is that any fringe players that have ambition are going to want to play regular games or else they'll be off (ie Tuanzebe). We're not in Europe, likely to be knocked-out early in both Cup competitions so there is less game time to share round than at Spurs or West Ham.

yeah but the likes of West Ham played the same amount of games as us last season. What i'm saying is if you look at Chicago Lion's list of players who he thinks are better than ours, 4 of them cost their clubs nothing as youth players, and the other 3 cost an average of 17m so well within our means to buy similar. I don't think we're too far off competing with the right acquisitions and more strength in depth than we have now.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #731 on: January 03, 2022, 04:02:24 PM »
The two full backs that Everton are about to sign - have we missed a trick on either ?

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #732 on: January 03, 2022, 04:11:13 PM »
Dunno. Both young, Rangers lad is highly rated, Mykolenko has 22 caps so possibly good signings I guess.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #733 on: January 03, 2022, 05:29:35 PM »
Doesn't Digne get a regular game for France?

Also, someone on another thread said that West Ham are reported to be in for El Ghazi. If true, I wonder what they'd offer.

Two jazz mags and a dildo.

We’d have their pants down

Offline AGRIPPA

« Reply #734 on: January 03, 2022, 06:12:07 PM »
The lad on loan at Stockport has been recalled….Arkhily??

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal