collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 356487 times)

Offline Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #705 on: January 02, 2022, 10:12:37 PM »
Linked with Lucas Digne but reports are he’s on north of £100k a week. FML. Stupid wages.
No idea what contract he’s on length-wise but sure if it’s running down he’d take another 3.5 season deal on lower money. Not sure that’s the way forward but always liked him and I don’t think we can go all in with kids without some older heads.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #706 on: January 02, 2022, 10:14:43 PM »
Linked with Lucas Digne but reports are he’s on north of £100k a week. FML. Stupid wages.
No idea what contract he’s on length-wise but sure if it’s running down he’d take another 3.5 season deal on lower money. Not sure that’s the way forward but always liked him and I don’t think we can go all in with kids without some older heads.
I would like to know what has caused the fall out with Benitez.

Online Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #707 on: January 02, 2022, 10:35:46 PM »
Twitter and Daily Mail links to Denis Zakaria of Borussia Moenchengladbach I think.  No idea if he's any good but I hope we finally get the DCM we badly need.

I believe he’d be on a free at the end of the season.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #708 on: January 03, 2022, 12:56:01 AM »
Doesn't Digne get a regular game for France?

Also, someone on another thread said that West Ham are reported to be in for El Ghazi. If true, I wonder what they'd offer.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #709 on: January 03, 2022, 03:53:23 AM »

I don't think there's a fall-out. But Chelsea-fans seem pretty certain he will be signing for them in January. With both Reece and Chilwell out it'd make sense for them to be hunting for full-backs.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #710 on: January 03, 2022, 06:07:54 AM »

I don't think there's a fall-out. But Chelsea-fans seem pretty certain he will be signing for them in January. With both Reece and Chilwell out it'd make sense for them to be hunting for full-backs.
Benitez dropping him from the squad, then refusing to say why he was dropped and subsequently making comments about his attitude.
So no fall out , right.

Online jwarry

« Reply #711 on: January 03, 2022, 08:15:46 AM »
Don’t know much about Denis Zakaria but a 6ft 3 Swiss DM on paper fits the bill

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #712 on: January 03, 2022, 10:01:00 AM »
You would hope Gerrard would be able to identify a good one.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #713 on: January 03, 2022, 10:03:42 AM »
Don’t know much about Denis Zakaria but a 6ft 3 Swiss DM on paper fits the bill

A quick Google reveals he's been linked with Man U in January. And to prove that we're not the only city with a truly dire local newspaper, the Manchester Evening News ran a story about putting him in their Fifa team on the Playstation to see how he'd get on.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #714 on: January 03, 2022, 10:52:12 AM »
As said before we have a squad of mainly 5 or 6 out of 10 PL level players.
I think Martinez SJM and Konsa are maybe 7+ out of 10.
To push for top 6 you need more 7/8 out of 10.
It’s a pretty big ask.

Dunno. top6 puts you in the Arsenal, Tottenham, west ham category and I wouldn't say any of them have massively better players than our 1st team or massively more expensive so we couldn't attract similar. What we need is obviously replacing some of the 1st team over time but the biggest difference between us is they have better squads at least with Arsenal and Tottenham, so instead of basically having a back 4 where it picks itself, we need to be giving the Manager the option of dropping some of them.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #715 on: January 03, 2022, 10:56:20 AM »

Also, someone on another thread said that West Ham are reported to be in for El Ghazi. If true, I wonder what they'd offer.

Two jazz mags and a dildo.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #716 on: January 03, 2022, 11:06:47 AM »

Two jazz mags and a dildo.
After careful reflection I think we should accept the offer.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #717 on: January 03, 2022, 11:09:31 AM »
It’s a pretty big ask.

Dunno. top6 puts you in the Arsenal, Tottenham, west ham category and I wouldn't say any of them have massively better players than our 1st team or massively more expensive so we couldn't attract similar. What we need is obviously replacing some of the 1st team over time but the biggest difference between us is they have better squads at least with Arsenal and Tottenham, so instead of basically having a back 4 where it picks itself, we need to be giving the Manager the option of dropping some of them.
I think all those teams have better first X1 players than us and  Kane Saka Son Rice Soucek Antonio, Smith Rowe Tierney.
The league table is a pretty good indicator of the difference.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #718 on: January 03, 2022, 11:09:38 AM »
I think some of the comments since yesterday are totally over the top. We've got a squad that, under a manager that plays the way that suits them, would finish top half. However a few of them are struggling to adapt to what Gerrard wants them doing.

Targett isn't attacking enough to be the outlet on that side and Luiz is clearly better in the left of the 3 role in midfield (where he's played very well since Gerrard arrived).

This window should see us address both of those issues and get in another centre half, which is probably as much as you want to do in January. In the summer I'd expect a bit more focus on the attacking side.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #719 on: January 03, 2022, 11:21:34 AM »
It’s a pretty big ask.

I think all those teams have better first X1 players than us and  Kane Saka Son Rice Soucek Antonio, Smith Rowe Tierney.
The league table is a pretty good indicator of the difference.

they have some of course, and I wouldn't disagree with any of those names, but in other areas its not the case - They certainly have better cover - we couldn't leave SJM on the bench for 3 games like Arsenal have done with Smith Rowe for example.  More encouraging is those names cost their clubs the grand total of 71m. so basically the joe fee with 30m left over. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal