collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 360806 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #675 on: January 02, 2022, 12:14:18 PM »
I'm not sure, I think January transfers can be more than that but I've always been of the opinion that you should sign players in january 2 reasons, they either fill a  very specific hole in your squad (as you say) or they're players you're signing for the next season not now and the idea is that they can get the new club/league/country problems out of the way under lower pressure. Sanson was very much that type of signing and I think without the injury problems we'd have seen that sooner.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #676 on: January 02, 2022, 12:18:47 PM »
Well a lot of very good players have arrived at clubs in January so i'm not sure that's true. You buy when the opportunity presents itself and with a lot of clubs skint around Europe and players in the last year of their contracts, then I would suggest the time is right. We're heading to Brentford with Mings out and while Hause is probably decent cover, that's it really if Tuanzebe goes back. All clubs have to cope with injuries but we are threadbare in certain areas so we can risk it and hope everyone stays fit, or not and the season peters out if we get hit by more injuries.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #677 on: January 02, 2022, 12:37:21 PM »
January is never right for making any strategic purchases.

I reckon that Vidic, Suarez and Young (among lots of others) suggest this statement to be untrue.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #678 on: January 02, 2022, 12:53:00 PM »
John Carew was an exceptional January signing.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #679 on: January 02, 2022, 12:53:33 PM »
We signed Mings in January too

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #680 on: January 02, 2022, 01:01:07 PM »
I think that January is the perfect time for mid table sides to make strategic purchases as it won't affect the season too much...

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #681 on: January 02, 2022, 01:13:11 PM »
January is never right for making any strategic purchases. Usually in this window a targeted specific player such as a defender, a goal scorer etc can give a team required lift to achieve more than their current squad provides but it is not the time to reshape the team. I am not sure we should splash out in this window. The manager needs more time to assess current squad before we spend big numbers.
Based on his press conference,
I don’t think Gerrard agrees with you.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #682 on: January 02, 2022, 01:14:42 PM »
January is never right for making any strategic purchases. Usually in this window a targeted specific player such as a defender, a goal scorer etc can give a team required lift to achieve more than their current squad provides but it is not the time to reshape the team. I am not sure we should splash out in this window. The manager needs more time to assess current squad before we spend big numbers.

Disagree.

Jan 2007 we got in Carew and Young and that quickly lifted us from 12th to 6th.

Bent a few years later did a very good job in the short term.

In our promotion season Mings was signed from nowhere and three years on remains a key player.

Of course you get poor transfer windows but I always think at least with decent Jan signings they have a few months to settle in and then hopefully start the next season well. Let's say we could've signed Buendia last Jan then I'm sure he'd have played better than he has so far.

With other clubs West Ham in Jan 2020 signed Soucek and Bowen and both are now key players in top 6 team.

As for now I think we'll just sign a DM and possibly a full back. Rest can wait until the summer as we're fairly strong in numbers in pretty much every other area.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #683 on: January 02, 2022, 02:25:29 PM »
Hause ffs. So sloppy

Offline levico

« Reply #684 on: January 02, 2022, 03:01:57 PM »
Can we have some players who can pass please.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #685 on: January 02, 2022, 03:53:56 PM »
Rip it apart Gerrard.  Many aren't up to the task. 

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #686 on: January 02, 2022, 04:10:50 PM »
We absolutely need to strengthen in this window

Too many players just not good enough

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #687 on: January 02, 2022, 04:16:01 PM »
We absolutely need to strengthen in this window

Too many players just not good enough

Gerrard will have seen all that he needs. Can imagine that our starting XI for the first game of next season will look very different to today's.

Thankfully.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #688 on: January 02, 2022, 04:16:43 PM »
Depends for what metric.

Top 4, lightyears away from that.

Top 7, Good two seasons probably but you never know.

8th-10th, can still challenge for that this season given it's always inconsistant in this part of the table.

I think we're capable of hitting 50 points, hopefully that's enough to get top half and that would be fine for me given the situation two months back.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #689 on: January 02, 2022, 04:28:28 PM »
El Ghazi and Luiz linked outwards.  If we can bring in our targets, I wouldn't mind either going to be honest.  Never been sold on either player.   I don't consider either to be amongst our better players but do agree that we need to keep certain ones in order to move forward.  Luiz is an enigma as I can understand some thinking he's a decent player. Not strong enough and hasn't moved on for me. Neither has El Ghazi.

Luiz looks to me like a player who'd do well if rotated regularly by a top three club, rather than being a key midfielder for a team like ours.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal