collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:00:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Richard E
[Today at 10:00:37 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Gareth
[Today at 09:57:19 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by brian green
[Today at 09:55:02 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 356738 times)

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #615 on: December 31, 2021, 03:06:46 PM »
I have a feeling we might cash in on Ings , with someone like Newcastle being interested .  Probably indigestion

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #616 on: December 31, 2021, 03:12:18 PM »
I have a feeling we might cash in on Ings , with someone like Newcastle being interested .  Probably indigestion

Would be a massive risk having no backup with Watkins inevitably getting crocked the day after Ings leaves.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #617 on: December 31, 2021, 03:55:56 PM »
I think it depends on what happens to Cam Archer this window. Also it’s possible if we did sell Ings that we might bring in another player more suited to the style we are looking to play. Danny Ings as excellent as we all know he can be looks a bit out of place at the moment.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #618 on: December 31, 2021, 04:03:09 PM »
If they offered us 30m for a 29 year old I'd say yes, bring Wes back as cover with Archer.  With the likes of Bert as well that would get us through to the summer. Obviously only if we need the cash to get someone else in January.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #619 on: December 31, 2021, 04:06:36 PM »
Do we really want to go into the rest of the season with a backup of a player who hasn't figured for two years and a kid whose only real outings have been against Barrow and Chelsea reserves?

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #620 on: December 31, 2021, 04:12:33 PM »
Depends if you think Wes is permanently crocked. At 24 he's hardly too old to come good. The trouble we have is 2 fringe england players who can't play together with room for one of them to play. Seems a bit extravagant to keep one as a reserve.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #621 on: December 31, 2021, 04:12:54 PM »
If they offered us 30m for a 29 year old I'd say yes, bring Wes back as cover with Archer.  With the likes of Bert as well that would get us through to the summer. Obviously only if we need the cash to get someone else in January.

Sorry, did you honestly just say bring back Wes?

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #622 on: December 31, 2021, 04:13:55 PM »
We need to keep our better or more experienced players, Ings included, unless there was a really sensible swap option and a potential to bring in another like for like replacement.  Interesting that Gerrard seems to want to make the Tuanzebe loan permanent.  Wants to explore him staying longer term was the comment at the press conference.  Individuals identified to bring in and a comment about 'a few going the other way' on loan.  Sounds to me like we are confident of bringing in the players identified.  Losing Traore, Trez for a while due to ACON and Bailey's injury so I guess we may see more action at the beginning of the window. 

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #623 on: December 31, 2021, 04:16:32 PM »
he got 5 goals in 21 games in a struggling side and his first season here so would have probably have hit double figures for the season on that form. He's hardly the full Davis  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 04:19:31 PM by sickbeggar »

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #624 on: December 31, 2021, 04:23:51 PM »
Depends if you think Wes is permanently crocked. At 24 he's hardly too old to come good. The trouble we have is 2 fringe england players who can't play together with room for one of them to play. Seems a bit extravagant to keep one as a reserve.

One on the pitch, one on the bench. Other clubs manage it.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #625 on: December 31, 2021, 04:31:43 PM »

One on the pitch, one on the bench. Other clubs manage it.

If they've got the games....i.e. Europe. I doubt Ings or Watkins will be happy with 20 sub appearances. At this stage, Ings is 29, he's not gonna get any better, I'd rather have a younger back-up personally.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #626 on: December 31, 2021, 04:31:59 PM »

yeah, sorry.. Wes is a nice guy but no way will he cut it at this level. He couldn't trap a ball, couldn't head a ball, couldn't beat a defender off the dribble, couldn't shoot very well. I fail to see any attribute he possesses that would improve our side at the moment. If Ings doesn't work with Ollie in this formation, then Wes definitely won't fit.

All sounds a bit harsh, but I wish him well.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #627 on: December 31, 2021, 05:11:43 PM »

Aside from not being very good I cannot think of another player less suited to the way Gerrard wants to play than Wesley. The sooner we are shot of him the better. It’s a massive shame we didn’t see if he could become a PL footballer because he was improving until he got cut down by that ****** Mee. But in truth he never really had the mobility for this level.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #628 on: December 31, 2021, 05:21:29 PM »
I like Ings a lot and was very happy when we signed him but he does look like a bit of a square peg in a round hole with us. I think if someone wanted to offer a good fee for him and we could then sign someone of the right standard that’s a bit more versatile it wouldn’t be a bad idea. The chances of that in Jan are slim though.
I liked Wes and thought he just needed a bit of time to adapt, similar to a few signings we made that summer but sadly I think the injury has finished him at this level.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #629 on: December 31, 2021, 05:30:36 PM »
When we signed Ings I think Dean ultimately wanted to play Watkins to the left of him. That's similar to where he started his career. But it just never worked. Nobody on here was disappointed in signing one of the most prolific strikers at PL level. But we never used him properly. That's on Dean Smith as much as anyone if he was in favour of bringing him to the club.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal