collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 361249 times)

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #510 on: December 20, 2021, 09:12:46 PM »
I used to work with Matt Jansen's dad.
was a talented player. Didn’t have much luck with injuries
Didnt he nearly die in an accident?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #511 on: December 20, 2021, 10:22:24 PM »
Aurélien Tchouaméni from Monaco.

fucking brilliant player but, I suspect, he'd be looking for a CL team for his next move so maybe a bit too much of a stretch.

I know mate, but it doesn't hurt to dream, and Leicester managed to get Tielemans off them so you never know

Think he was mostly sitting in their reserves at the time though.

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #512 on: December 20, 2021, 10:29:05 PM »
Always highly rated at Anderlecht though.

Offline not3bad

• GM : 15.06.2022
« Reply #513 on: December 20, 2021, 11:17:43 PM »
I applauded a Trevor Brooking free kick for West Ham. It was their only goal in a 4-1 victory for Villa. Quite a few in the Witton End were applauding.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #514 on: December 21, 2021, 02:37:37 AM »
Nah, I think eventually he will be a success, he's too good not to be. But it will be very much as AN-other Citeh player as opposed to a the main man/superstar elsewhere.
I also think he'll be a success, but I suspect it won't be under Pep.
I think it will.  Loads of players seem to take 12 months to get up to speed playing the Pep way.  I think next season he'll be one of their better players alongside the likes of Mahrez and Foden.
The commentators were talking about this in the Citeh-Jawdie game in respect of Cancelo - saying that it took 12-15 months for the Pep-effect to take root and that Cancelo is now a far better player than when they first bought him.

Yep, this is quite common for Pep's additions. As a player you are no longer an individual in a collective, but a cog in a machine. It takes getting used to.

Offline mike

« Reply #515 on: December 21, 2021, 07:55:23 AM »

Yes. As I recall it, he just missed out on a World Cup place and went on holiday to Greece. He had an accident on a moped not wearing a helmet and got an injury he never really recovered from.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #516 on: December 21, 2021, 09:27:35 AM »
Nah, I think eventually he will be a success, he's too good not to be. But it will be very much as AN-other Citeh player as opposed to a the main man/superstar elsewhere.
I also think he'll be a success, but I suspect it won't be under Pep.
I think it will.  Loads of players seem to take 12 months to get up to speed playing the Pep way.  I think next season he'll be one of their better players alongside the likes of Mahrez and Foden.
The commentators were talking about this in the Citeh-Jawdie game in respect of Cancelo - saying that it took 12-15 months for the Pep-effect to take root and that Cancelo is now a far better player than when they first bought him.

Yep, this is quite common for Pep's additions. As a player you are no longer an individual in a collective, but a cog in a machine. It takes getting used to.
Yeah, think there's a lot to be said for that.

One thing that strikes me about Jack is that whilst he was at Villa, his actions were somewhat insulated.  First, he was with lifelong friends & family; everyone at the club knew him from when he was a scamp; and maybe as importantly it was Villa he was at.

We all (well, most of us) remember when The Greatest Defender In The Whole Wide World played for the Villa.  We all knew he was fond of a pint of Guinness, but it didn't matter because whatever his weaknesses - he was the best any of us had ever, or most likely will ever, see.  In the collective consciousness of the club, we all know what you 'win' if you tame the wildest of wild horses.

Now sure, we're not the only club to have ever had a talented-but-flawed player - Gazza springs to mind instantly.  But the overwhelming majority haven't, and for the most part they've happened in the long & distant past.  The only reason really Paul McGrath isn't so much "the long & distant past" is because ourselves & the RoI fans still sing about him on a semi-regular basis - so people are aware of him, even if they've never seen him play in real life.

He won't get that at Man City, and especially not with their current manager.  Think he's in for a difficult few seasons.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #517 on: December 21, 2021, 11:12:06 AM »

His then girlfriend shared a house at university with my wife. Only met him once briefly but a nice lad, and a fantastic player.

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #518 on: December 21, 2021, 11:35:52 AM »

Yes. As I recall it, he just missed out on a World Cup place and went on holiday to Greece. He had an accident on a moped not wearing a helmet and got an injury he never really recovered from.

was in Rome and always thought he was a great player , such a shame he never properly recovered .       We all take these risks in younger life ( no helmet bombing round busy Rome), now I have reached my age I even think twice before I go on a rollercoaster .

Offline nigel

« Reply #519 on: December 21, 2021, 12:26:42 PM »
I don’t think his style of play suits Pep at all.    He will ruin Jack.

See Benteke and Liverpool

Both badly advised

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #520 on: December 21, 2021, 01:13:00 PM »
I don’t think his style of play suits Pep at all.    He will ruin Jack.

I don’t think it’s a case of Pep ruining anything with Jack Grealish. Jack knew who he was joining and what he was getting himself into. It was on him to become the key component of a side that has a chance to win every competition it enters and he is the one who will ruin it for himself. He had to evolve as a footballer and as a professional and instead he appears to be regressing. At Villa he was everything to us. Often to our detriment. At Man City he needs to quickly realize they will simply move on from him in a heartbeat and replace him with another top player irrespective of what they spent on him.
Exactly - he needs to become a different player.  Some people say pep makes players better - and he probably does with some, but he certainly trying to make Grealish something different.  I think hes a poor fit - but like you said it was down to Jack.  So far he hasnt delivered on or off the pitch.  There generational talent is Foden - and Grealish wont be thanked if he encourages Foden to be more like him off the pitch

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #521 on: December 21, 2021, 01:31:45 PM »
I'm glad he's not setting the world on fire yet, but I do think the emphasis is on 'yet'.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #522 on: December 21, 2021, 01:38:55 PM »
Hand on heart I can't see who he replaces in a full strength Man City team. Spurs or ManU would have suited him far better

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #523 on: December 21, 2021, 01:40:58 PM »
What Grealish needs to do is learn how to fill the role that Gundogan and Bernardo Silva have taken, being quite deep in midfield but driving into the area and making things happen. His ability to carry the ball out, draw defenders and pick a pass should make him a superb option for it but he needs to work on the defensive team work part of the role and be more willing to take chances to shoot first time. That's the player I wanted him to be from the start and I think he can do it and I suspect that's what Guardiola sees as well.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #524 on: December 22, 2021, 08:57:49 AM »
Looks like Man U are sniffing around Julian Alvarez now, so any chance we may of had of getting him (if indeed the rumours had any legs in them) are probably now over.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal