collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 356481 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #225 on: November 19, 2021, 10:28:32 AM »
Goldson is very very average, didn't do much at Brighton so would be disappointed in that as he's not really better than Hause with his profile who's mainly a back up CB for us.

That type of signing would be a bit of a worry for me, if there's any truth in it of course.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #226 on: November 19, 2021, 10:56:30 AM »
RB, LB, CM, S and now CB linked from Rangers. Honestly.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #227 on: November 19, 2021, 11:04:59 AM »
Goldson is very very average, didn't do much at Brighton so would be disappointed in that as he's not really better than Hause with his profile who's mainly a back up CB for us.

That type of signing would be a bit of a worry for me, if there's any truth in it of course.

Had a heart defect at Brighton I think. Dunno. I don't really know enough about him. Is he comfortable on the ball to fit Gerrard's possession ideas? Out of contract in the summer so cheap back-up if he doesn't fancy Tuanzebe or maybe Mings. Local lad too
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 11:06:32 AM by sickbeggar »

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #228 on: November 19, 2021, 11:18:18 AM »
I don't think there's a huge amount in it.  It sounds like we've got £100m-£150m to spend over the next couple of transfer windows, and we're being linked with out-of-contract Rangers players who are generally seen as 'alright as a 4th choice centre back'.  When we've not shown any interest before, and our transfer policy is at least partially decided by Johan Lange.

I just don't see it happening.  Think it's more likely we'll possibly bring in a player or two in January if they seem good value, but mostly go for buying 3-4 players in the £30m-£40m range in the summer.  Think Target, Mings, and Nakamba will be highlighted as being players to be moved in to more 'backup' roles.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #229 on: November 19, 2021, 11:39:07 AM »
I don't think there's a huge amount in it.  It sounds like we've got £100m-£150m to spend over the next couple of transfer windows, and we're being linked with out-of-contract Rangers players who are generally seen as 'alright as a 4th choice centre back'.  When we've not shown any interest before, and our transfer policy is at least partially decided by Johan Lange.

I just don't see it happening.  Think it's more likely we'll possibly bring in a player or two in January if they seem good value, but mostly go for buying 3-4 players in the £30m-£40m range in the summer.  Think Target, Mings, and Nakamba will be highlighted as being players to be moved in to more 'backup' roles.

Yeah that's the worry for me. We need people now especially with the likes of Newcastle looking to improve their squad in January. I read what Lange said, which was basically "May look at transfers blah blah, haven't spoken to Gerrard about it blah blah, working to improve the existing players blah blah". Not inspiring. I just wonder if he hasn't got the clout to get someone in when he's just joined the club, i'd be a bit worried about them backing him when/if the going gets rough.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #230 on: November 19, 2021, 11:42:22 AM »
'd like to see us linked with Ellyes Skhiri at Koln. Defensive midfielder, works his tits off, has a decent scoring record and has played centre half and right back so gives us cover in other positions as well.

He's pretty big, strong, quick, has a decent range of passing and is happy to carry the ball forward.

Also a regular for Tunisia so shouldn't be a problem with a work permit , he was looking for a move in the summer and getting linked to some good teams but nothing came from it. Think he's been loosely linked to West Ham recently as well.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #231 on: November 19, 2021, 11:43:45 AM »
I think Kamara and Kent are the only ones that look likely really. Gerrard isn't stupid, he knows he's in a different world now.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #232 on: November 19, 2021, 12:03:00 PM »
I think Kamara and Kent are the only ones that look likely really. Gerrard isn't stupid, he knows he's in a different world now.
Why Kent when wing isn't a problem position at the moment?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #233 on: November 19, 2021, 12:05:03 PM »

It is at the moment because none of them are bloody fit.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #234 on: November 19, 2021, 12:07:42 PM »
Apart from Buendia, Bidace and AEG; you're right!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #235 on: November 19, 2021, 01:58:09 PM »
Think the only addition we really need in January is a quality defensive midfielder.  A player that can come straight into the side and allow McGinn to play further forward.

Still think the failure to address the central midfield area cost Dean Smith his job.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 02:32:18 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #236 on: November 19, 2021, 02:45:48 PM »
Think the only addition we really need in January is a quality defensive midfielder.  A player that can come straight into the side and allow McGinn to play further forward.

Still think the failure to address the central midfield area cost Dean Smith his job.

I'm sure it did too.

We may also be looking for a left back, depending on how Targett gets on in the next 5-6 games in Gerrards system.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #237 on: November 19, 2021, 06:13:38 PM »

2 Centre halves ( ball plain if possible) to put pressure on Mings and Konsa
i’ll reckon he’ll address this first

Hause needs to be moved on as he is not good enough on the ball to even be a good backup (thanks for the Man United goal and all that)
Axel isn’t even ours so it doesn’t count

Buying a DM unless they are in the class of Rice Philips Kante etc Will make very little difference and you DM Obsessive guys will continue calling for the mythical DM
We’ve already got plenty of mids that can do that job Unless you’re going to spend 100 million on a proper one

Offline mike

« Reply #238 on: November 19, 2021, 07:35:05 PM »
Apart from Buendia, Bidace and AEG; you're right!

One of those is OK but not brilliant and one is still very young and untested. I think having 'Concrete' Traore and Bailey means we need a senior winger who can play a few matches in a row. They appear to me to be a waste of fucking space as, however good they are, they don't actually play actual matches.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #239 on: November 19, 2021, 08:15:37 PM »

That and the signing of Ings.  We definitely needed a player to compete with watkins but Ings is a replacement sort of signing.  Ings is quality player but we now don’t have a clue what our formation is.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal