collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 360562 times)

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #165 on: November 15, 2021, 03:01:51 PM »
Id more Trez and Anwar on before Bertie .

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #166 on: November 15, 2021, 03:06:05 PM »
Think he'd leave if he was relegated to wide or back-up. Why go from the main man at the club and fringes of the England squad as a striker, to a position where you're not even the best player in that position at the club. Arsenal would probably take him in January and play him up front giving us a big profit and Mr Gerrard could buy Morales who'd live with being back-up for now due to the step-up career wise. Just thinking aloud here and obviously providing we have the replacements for Cash and Targett in place by then  ;)

Well firstly, because the manager might tell him to.  And secondly, if we play like Liverpool then Watkins in a Mane / Salah type role may suit him perfectly.

Until he improves his finishing I don't see him as being in any position to chuck toys or make demands and I doubt Gerrard will put up with any sulking either.

He's not a wide player. He was so-so wide player at Brentford and got good when he was converted and 16 goals in 40 games last time isn't bad for a crap finisher. Why damage his value sticking him on the bench or out wide?

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #167 on: November 15, 2021, 03:08:59 PM »
Think he'd leave if he was relegated to wide or back-up. Why go from the main man at the club and fringes of the England squad as a striker, to a position where you're not even the best player in that position at the club. Arsenal would probably take him in January and play him up front giving us a big profit and Mr Gerrard could buy Morales who'd live with being back-up for now due to the step-up career wise. Just thinking aloud here and obviously providing we have the replacements for Cash and Targett in place by then  ;)

Well firstly, because the manager might tell him to.  And secondly, if we play like Liverpool then Watkins in a Mane / Salah type role may suit him perfectly.

Until he improves his finishing I don't see him as being in any position to chuck toys or make demands and I doubt Gerrard will put up with any sulking either.

I fear we are backing the wrong horse if we pick Ings ahead of Watkins for the central role.  I could see him seeking a move if that was the case  My hope is that Gerrard can successfully sell - and execute tactically - the wide position as the Salah role rather him seeing it as being dropped/demoted.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 03:11:31 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #168 on: November 15, 2021, 03:20:42 PM »

He's not a wide player. He was so-so wide player at Brentford and got good when he was converted and 16 goals in 40 games last time isn't bad for a crap finisher. Why damage his value sticking him on the bench or out wide?
Thre's a big difference to the way Mane / Salah play to a traditional wide player.  I think Watkins is pretty well suited to it.  Either way, we need to get out of the mindset of players having to start every week.  He should get plenty of gametime whether centrally or wide and if he needs to start on the bench sometimes then that's fine too.

In terms of finishing, yes he had a good season last year, but for me he still misses far too many chances.  It's got to he point now where I'm expecting him to miss when a chance falls to him. The West Ham goal was straight at the keeper and a pretty poor effort at a save.  Smith would prpbably still be in a job if he'd been more clinical in the last 3 games.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 03:24:30 PM by chrisw1 »

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #169 on: November 15, 2021, 03:22:00 PM »

Thre's a big difference to the way Mane / Salah play to a traditional wide player.  I think Watkins is pretty well suited to it.  Either way, we need to get out of the mindset of players having to start every week.  He should get plenty of gametime whether centrally or wide and if he needs to start on the bench sometimes then that's fine too.

In terms of finishing, yes he had a good season last year, but for me he still misses far too many chances.  It's got to he point now where I'm expecting him to miss when a chance falls to him.  Smith would prpbably still be in a job if he'd been more clinical in the last 3 games.

Take your point but if something's not broke why fix it? Especially when the fix is injury prone and 4 years older. It's like moving Konsa to fullback to make room for someone else. It's not like there wasn't areas in the first team that do need improvement.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2021, 03:27:08 PM by sickbeggar »

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #170 on: November 15, 2021, 03:43:58 PM »

In terms of finishing, yes he had a good season last year, but for me he still misses far too many chances.  It's got to he point now where I'm expecting him to miss when a chance falls to him. The West Ham goal was straight at the keeper and a pretty poor effort at a save.  Smith would prpbably still be in a job if he'd been more clinical in the last 3 games.

2 from Watkins, Traore and Bailey playing the Salah and Mane roles with Ings or Buendia in the Firmino role would be how I'd setup for now, with McGinn, Luiz and Sanson/Ramsey as a flat 3 in midfield in behind. If we can add a proper DM I'd bring them in and go 2 from 4 of the others.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #171 on: November 15, 2021, 03:54:35 PM »

2 from Watkins, Traore and Bailey playing the Salah and Mane roles with Ings or Buendia in the Firmino role would be how I'd setup for now, with McGinn, Luiz and Sanson/Ramsey as a flat 3 in midfield in behind. If we can add a proper DM I'd bring them in and go 2 from 4 of the others.

The Firmino role needs someone that can play with their backs to goal and they need to be strong, and goals are not so important as the main threat is from the other two.

It will be the making of Keinan Davis.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #172 on: November 15, 2021, 04:01:04 PM »
Being able to pick a front 3 from Bailey, Ings, Buendia, Watkins, Traore, Bidace is pretty exciting.  IF we can get and keep them fit that it.  I think we can afford to move ElGhazi, Traore & Davis on.  I can't see them featuring much now.

It's the fitness thing that's the issue. For large parts of the season so far we've had at least half of them out at a time.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #173 on: November 15, 2021, 04:02:52 PM »

The Firmino role needs someone that can play with their backs to goal and they need to be strong, and goals are not so important as the main threat is from the other two.

It will be the making of Keinan Davis.

My guess is that is exactly why Smith persisted with him. And why I hope we keep him.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #174 on: November 15, 2021, 04:06:42 PM »
I was being a little bit tongue in cheek, but I do like the kid, and stranger things have happened.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #175 on: November 15, 2021, 04:17:15 PM »
Maybe he could persuade Milner to return for a dual player/erm Assistant Lead Sports scientist Analysis coach role? You can't have enough coaches I reckon.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #176 on: November 15, 2021, 04:24:37 PM »
Davis would possibly have a slim chance if he wasn't permanently inured. But he is, so he has no chance, sadly. Too many good youngsters coming through, like Archer.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #177 on: November 15, 2021, 05:07:35 PM »
Maybe he could persuade Milner to return for a dual player/erm Assistant Lead Sports scientist Analysis coach role? You can't have enough coaches I reckon.
Was wondering, is there a maximum number of coaches you're allowed? Could we have, like, 30k "coaches" and turn every match in to a defacto home game, for example?

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #178 on: November 15, 2021, 06:05:59 PM »
I think it'll more likely be 2 from Buendia, Traore, Archer and Bailey playing the Salah and Mane roles; with Ings or Watkins in the Firmino role; although I'm not sure Watkins would be smart or quick enough for it.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #179 on: November 15, 2021, 06:46:26 PM »
It’s alright banging on about forward players wide players attacking midfield players we’ve got plenty of good ones just a case of finding the right mix

Our biggest weakness is coming out of from the back, That slow lumbering pass it around for 10 minutes then back to the goalkeeper as soon as any pressure is applied
all 4 of our first pick central defenders are not comfortable with the ball and even less likely to have the technical ability to play it out from the back with any effectiveness , this will be a big problem for the new manager
I think he might rectify this first and any new players coming in January might be in this area

The link from defence to midfield to attack is so important if we can’t do it effectively no matter who you’ve Got playing upfront they will be restricted by Poor quality ball coming forward
I would say it’s even more important than the mythical CDM who people think will turn Us into a proper team, it won’t if the defence can’t be trusted

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal