collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:42:34 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:41:54 PM]

Kits 23/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 07:35:58 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by DB
[Today at 07:28:38 PM]

Emi Buendia - Injured by The Edge
[Today at 06:53:59 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:48:30 PM]

FFP by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 05:23:49 PM]

Champions League Contention by LeeS
[Today at 04:30:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 363104 times)

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #2805 on: January 31, 2022, 10:40:07 PM »
Pretty happy with that window, would be enhanced if over next few weeks Chukwuemeka signs a new deal.

I am sure Gerrard would have wanted another midfielder in but we have some very good midfielders already so anymore would have had to be better which is hard to pin down.  It’s not like we are being overrun every week, we need to see what Sanson offers over dozen or so games.

I have full faith that the board know exactly what we can & what we can’t spend, something none of us know or should know.  If Bissouma is one they want I’m glad we didn’t, no way comfortable with him whilst he is under investigation…if he is cleared then deeper due diligence on his character then good to go but until he is cleared no way.

Targett was on face of it odd but when you think back to how he looked so out of shape at start of season you wonder if he might have been one who sitting on the bench for 6-8 weeks he might have reverted back.  Hope he does well, hope they still drop like a stone.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #2806 on: January 31, 2022, 10:42:04 PM »

Our midfield is still an issue sadly, with a better version of Nakamba still needed.

Agree and it's been an issue for a while. Nakamba is a good back-up (if we intend progressing) to a strong defensive minded player who can also pick a pass. Until we get him players like McGinn, Luiz, Sanson and Ramsey (who are all great going forwards) are just going to have to get used to improving the defensive side of their game.

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #2807 on: January 31, 2022, 10:42:16 PM »
It's a shame we couldn't pick up a defensive midfielder, but with Marv and Doguie, we've still taken 1.6 points a game and are 6th in the form table since Gerrard took over.

We have cover at centre half, we've significantly upgraded left back. We have a genuine world class player on loan as one of our options as inside forward. Emi Buendia is really starting to hit his stride.

We have Bailey's electric pace to come back, along with Traroes mercurial trickery.

Ramsey is the most impressive midfielder of his age and looks to have the whole show. He's looking increasingly like somebody else at B6 in the way he plays; pace, power, drive, left or right foot, goals, energy. Impressive. If his attitude stays exemplary, where he ends up ability wise is really up to him.

Emi Martinez is one of the best keepers in the league and world and he's signed long term.

We have a nice shape and system, the structure makes sense and we are playing some very good football.

This has cost a net £2.5m in fees, albeit wages will have increased.

Given FFP cycles we can have a bigger swing at things next summer to push on further again. As annoying as the incomplete puzzle can be, if you're not excited about all this, then this thing of ours isn't for you.

A good summation of where we’re at.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2808 on: January 31, 2022, 10:50:51 PM »
Digne in, Targett Out
Coutinho in, AEG out
Olsen in, Steer out
Chambers in, Tuanzebe out

Big first transfer window from Gerrard. Hard decision made at LB particularly. More of the promotion squad understandably let go and likes of Archer and Davis have got good loan moves too.

16 games to go, think we are set up for a strong finish as long as injuries don't hit us. Our cover across the back 6 is still very average for me.

At the other end of the pitch, there is lots to be optimistic about. Likes of Bailey, Sanson and Traore have yet to contribute much this season for various reasons but are talented players. Buendia and Ramsey look set for a strong finish. Watkins or Ings up top not both. Coutinho once he gets fitter has the class to make a big impact too. 

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2809 on: January 31, 2022, 11:01:56 PM »
The neutral view from a couple of analysts/journos. https://twitter.com/SocanalysisHQ/status/1488273024629411840

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #2810 on: January 31, 2022, 11:02:42 PM »
It's a shame we couldn't pick up a defensive midfielder, but with Marv and Doguie, we've still taken 1.6 points a game and are 6th in the form table since Gerrard took over.

We have cover at centre half, we've significantly iupgraded left back. We have a genuine world class player on loan as one of our options as inside forward. Emi Buendia is really starting to hit his stride.

We have Bailey's electric pace to come back, along with Traroes mercurial trickery.

Ramsey is the most impressive midfielder of his age and looks to have the whole show. He's looking increasingly like somebody else at B6 in the way he plays; pace, power, drive, left or right foot, goals, energy. Impressive. If his attitude stays exemplary, where he ends up ability wise is really up to him.

Emi Martinez is one of the best keepers in the league and world and he's signed long term.

We have a nice shape and system, the structure makes sense and we are playing some very good football.

This has cost a net £2.5m in fees, albeit wages will have increased.

Given FFP cycles we can have a bigger swing at things next summer to push on further again. As annoying as the incomplete puzzle can be, if you're not excited about all this, then this thing of ours isn't for you.

Good summary IMHO.  Read a few pieces suggesting we will be back in for Bissouma in the summer.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2811 on: January 31, 2022, 11:12:25 PM »
Dissapointed we broke ranks and dealt with Newcastle.

Dissapointed we didn't get a DM

Obviously happy with the earlier business, but if you'd offered me one position to strengthen it would have been DM.  I know there's loads of reasons why transfers don't happen, but we do have a habbit of missing out on priority positions in the last few windows.

DM has been our achillies heel since we got promoted.  That's 7 transfer windows ago, yet we still haven't addressed it.  Extremely disappointing from Gerrard and the club

Well we signed Nakamba Who is an out and out defensive midfielder people might think he’s not good enough but that’s a different thing altogether
All this we’ve not had a DM for years is just A total myth

If we had bought someone in in this window and he also wasn’t as good as Kante or Rice or Phillips you’d all be saying the same thing again
We also have other players that can play there who again people might think aren’t good enough for them
But the DM thing is a massive bandwagon on here that people love jumping on
It’s now reach stages of delusion that this is the missing piece in the jigsaw the golden fleece the Key to great riches, The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, The actual fucking wizard of Oz

It’s just a load of balls

I agree with John e

Stick together Bro
Fwiw I agree with you too. Did you win at Darts?

Yes mate
2-1 singles. 2-1. Doubles
Team is 1 point off top and playing top of league next week

Thanks for asking

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2812 on: January 31, 2022, 11:20:30 PM »
The only thing to Ad's piece is it will be easier to attract better players the higher up the league we finish. Other than that, fully agree. As windows go, it's been stained glass beautiful. Now for the hard work.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2813 on: February 01, 2022, 12:42:55 AM »
I think I'm right that the lists below represent our business since the end of last season. Net spend currently £2m. Loans out look promising. Transfers in add more than has gone out by a long way in my view.

In
Coutinho L2B
Digne
Olsen L2B
Chambers

Buendia
Bailey
Ings
Young
Tuanzebe L

Total Transfer Fees £116m

Out
Grealish
Engels
Elmo
Taylor
Heaton
Tuanzebe LE
AEG L2B

Wesley L
Guilbert L
Samatta L2B
Hourihane L2EC
Davis L
Steer L
Targett L
Archer L
JPB L

Total Transfer Fees £114m

Oh and don't forget the new deals in place too; Martinez arguably the best deal of the lot.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2814 on: February 01, 2022, 12:45:11 AM »
I've not included the youngsters who haven't troubled the first team, such as Barry, Chukwuemeka, Revan, Raikhy,

Online robleflaneur

« Reply #2815 on: February 01, 2022, 02:06:39 AM »
Also add in Hause who resigned when he could have left on a free in the summer.A very good astute transfer window.
Perhaps we missed out on  a promising ' young' striker,Delfounseo who moved to Bradford.
Okay we didn't get a DCM but what's encouraging is that we aren't looking at second best,all the Rangers players ,see the initial post on this thread,we didn't go for any of them.We are after quality,

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #2816 on: February 01, 2022, 02:06:56 AM »
i am struggling to think of any ex villa player who has made a good pundit

For a while Andy Gray was pretty good and Andy Townsend seems to have improved a bit of late. Weren't Bosnich and Sir Brian decent pundits too ?

Offline villabear

« Reply #2817 on: February 01, 2022, 04:18:54 AM »
A great bit of business done this window imho. I’d have liked Targett to have stayed. Martínez signing a new deal was another big plus for me.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #2818 on: February 01, 2022, 07:30:10 AM »
Agree with that Twitter post a bit back - over the last 3 transfer windows the first team has improved immeasurably, with a low net spend. I'd be confident that our 'backup' players now would beat the side that we finished our first season back with, which in 18 months is a remarkable shift.

Think we were right not to pursue Bissouma if the prices suggested were right - £50m for a player with 18 months left on his contract and a potential gaol term hanging over his head.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal