collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 361981 times)

Offline LeonW

Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #1980 on: January 19, 2022, 03:24:01 AM »
We are a funny lot, having Suarez come across from a commercial perspective would be huge, true he's getting on a bit but he did well last season, on a short term contract what's the harm.

From the playing perspective my concern would be what it would do to the team. Now I know Ings and Watkins are hardly pulling up trees at the moment, but i’m thinking about what it would do to the two guys immediately behind one striker as think Gerrard won’t play Ings & Ollie again unless injuries force it. Bunedia needs runners for his passing and Coutinho needs someone to hold up the ball and lay it off for his long rangers. Plus if Digne is going to advance for quick deliveries he needs someone in the box who can get on the end of them at pace. Does Suarez fit that bill? I’m not so sure. And you’re also asking him to step up a level back to the pace of the premier league.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 03:27:11 AM by LeonW »

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #1981 on: January 19, 2022, 04:32:01 AM »
You would not expect Suarez to play a full ninety minutes, I look upon him as an impact player.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #1982 on: January 19, 2022, 04:37:55 AM »
As Man Utd are experiencing with C. Ronaldo, you can’t have players of that status and sub ‘em off early without an issue. And I don’t think Suarez is leaving Atleti to come to Villa to be a sub, so it’s a bind.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #1983 on: January 19, 2022, 06:18:37 AM »
I guess it means that Gerrard is not happy with either Ings or Watkins as the answer up front from what he’s seen, and so thinks bringing Suarez in for 6-18 months before finding the right longer term answer gives us the best short term shot at climbing the table.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #1984 on: January 19, 2022, 06:40:59 AM »
Where’s this stuff about Suarez coming from?  Twitter?  Or is it real?

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #1985 on: January 19, 2022, 06:47:35 AM »
I guess it means that Gerrard is not happy with either Ings or Watkins as the answer up front from what he’s seen, and so thinks bringing Suarez in for 6-18 months before finding the right longer term answer gives us the best short term shot at climbing the table.

Yep, that’s the impression I’m getting from this.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #1986 on: January 19, 2022, 06:54:34 AM »
If we signed Sterling in the summer, we would have the liverpool attack that nearly won the league

Sterling, Suarez and Coutinho

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #1987 on: January 19, 2022, 07:18:39 AM »

The Spanish journo with a good record said he's listening to our offer to join in the summer. Nothing at all about this month unless another person said that. A pre contract on a free in the summer is all I've seen.

Offline frank black

« Reply #1988 on: January 19, 2022, 07:42:30 AM »

You do know that the stronger rumours on Twitter have generally been accurate? I use Twitter rather than “the press” now.  Some trusted journalist posted it (apparently)

Offline Chris_Jephcott

• http://www.facebook.com
« Reply #1989 on: January 19, 2022, 07:50:56 AM »
God I hate Suarez. He used to boil every bit of piss that my bladder could manufacture.

In the same way I hated Ronaldo.

Would I have him in my team? Hell yes. He’s the nasty sort of bastard that we need at the moment.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #1990 on: January 19, 2022, 08:28:58 AM »
Not my favourite player when he played for Liverpool but its an absolute yes from me.
We've been too soft for years.
I want angry b******s with serious passion playing in my team.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #1991 on: January 19, 2022, 08:50:24 AM »
I always liked him, although his behaviour on the pitch wasn’t always the best. If I was happy with Young coming in for a year I’d certainly be happy with Suarez coming in for next season.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1992 on: January 19, 2022, 08:50:54 AM »
Chris I agree apart from the last bit. I struggle with him, not just because he's a cannibal, but far more importantly, because he's a racist. Not sure how he'd be for dressing room harmony.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1993 on: January 19, 2022, 08:56:35 AM »
Suarez was an incredible player, but I feel it would be a mistake.  It may get us a few goals in the short term but at what cost?  I may be critical about Watkins finishing but I still think he can be a great player for us.  Is Suarez for 6 months really worth putting Watkins and Ings' noses out of joint that much?

I'm already a bit concerned about the lack of pace in out attack.  Swapping Watkins for Suarez isn't going to help.

For me, whilst I am concerned about the lack of goals I'd like us to give a front three of Coutinho, Buendia and either Watkins or Ings a proper go as I've a feeling it may really start to fire, particulaly now we have Dign supporting them. 

I'm just not sure a short term vanity signing is worth upsetting the apple cart for.   If we were realistically making a run for top four this season or had an injury crisis I may feel differently, but in our position I'm not sure what we'd be hoping to achieve with this.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1994 on: January 19, 2022, 09:02:25 AM »
Suarez would be a step too far down the Liverpool Old Boys route for me. He's at least 42, doesn't run anymore, is still cleverer than all our forwards since Yorke combined but it's the Premier League in 2022. Gerrard wants us to be 'front foot', and I don't see how this follows that brief.

Would be ecstatic to be wrong, of course. However, I think Suarez should just fulfil his destiny and go to Inter. The image of him in that kit makes sense.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal