collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Matty Cash - Polish international  (Read 113674 times)

Offline AlexAlexCropley

Re: Matty Cash - Polish international
« Reply #630 on: April 06, 2023, 03:33:07 PM »
Still injured

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #631 on: June 07, 2023, 01:13:36 AM »
Displayed his lack of football intelligence and poor showcase of his defending in our final game.
Certainly needs upgrading and that performance reminded everyone about his limitations.
I just don't see him as part of success as first choice but certainly can have a run out likes of teams in Slovenia and Hungary in Europa group matches.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #632 on: June 07, 2023, 11:50:03 AM »
Displayed his lack of football intelligence and poor showcase of his defending in our final game.
Certainly needs upgrading and that performance reminded everyone about his limitations.
I just don't see him as part of success as first choice but certainly can have a run out likes of teams in Slovenia and Hungary in Europa group matches.

That's harsh, their 2 best players were Enciso and Mitoma, and pretty much their only tactic to open us up was long balls into that corner to get them 1on1 with Cash who was still coming back from injury. I think he did a decent job but looked a bit leggy at times.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #633 on: June 07, 2023, 11:56:20 AM »
Yep, I'm not sure what he did that was so bad really.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #634 on: June 07, 2023, 12:01:53 PM »
He didn't do much wrong exactly - it's just that, at the level we want to be at, you really want everyone on the pitch to give something extra rather than just 'can't be blamed'.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #635 on: June 07, 2023, 12:27:24 PM »
Although he could have done with having his trailing foot forward a couple of inches when holding the line.

While I'm joking, with how detailed Emery is, I wouldn't be surprised if he's said something to him about his positioning on that set-piece.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #636 on: June 07, 2023, 12:38:28 PM »
Although he could have done with having his trailing foot forward a couple of inches when holding the line.

While I'm joking, with how detailed Emery is, I wouldn't be surprised if he's said something to him about his positioning on that set-piece.

He absolutely will have done. But, he's not had as much practice at that as the rest of the group because of his injury, and it takes a lot of focus and teamwork to pull it off like they have been.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #637 on: June 07, 2023, 12:42:53 PM »
A fresh new start for us at RB to go all guns blazing for top four. Ash and Cash will soon be usurped.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #638 on: June 07, 2023, 12:50:44 PM »

He absolutely will have done. But, he's not had as much practice at that as the rest of the group because of his injury, and it takes a lot of focus and teamwork to pull it off like they have been.

Guaranteed. There is little excuse for a full-back not holding the line in our formation. You can perhaps forgive a centre-back, given they are potentially having to watch in front AND both sides, but a full-back in our system shouldn't be a yard or two behind the line in open play.

I'd be interested to know who 'owns' the line in our formation - I suspect it's Tyrone and everyone follows his lead?

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #639 on: June 07, 2023, 12:59:35 PM »

Guaranteed. There is little excuse for a full-back not holding the line in our formation. You can perhaps forgive a centre-back, given they are potentially having to watch in front AND both sides, but a full-back in our system shouldn't be a yard or two behind the line in open play.

I'd be interested to know who 'owns' the line in our formation - I suspect it's Tyrone and everyone follows his lead?

Usually would be the CB, golden rule for the FBs is not to get caught behind. Young was very sharp at that, Martinez up high behind them. Compared to the absolute circus we were defensively under Gerrard at Palace for example, it was some turnaround defensively under Emery.

Cash had some decent games under Emery and injuries caused him to miss games. But he simply has to improve his positional sense when the ball is in the air, looking back at that Everton game and his inability to deal with Dyche ball was embarrassing for a PL defender.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #640 on: June 07, 2023, 01:02:08 PM »

I think at time Konsa owns it too, though it's usually Mings. They just seem really well drilled, it looks automatic for them all now, not looking about to cover each other etc, just focusing on their own roles.

Offline Smithy

« Reply #641 on: June 07, 2023, 01:04:35 PM »

Usually would be the CB, golden rule for the FBs is not to get caught behind. Young was very sharp at that, Martinez up high behind them. Compared to the absolute circus we were defensively under Gerrard at Palace for example, it was some turnaround defensively under Emery.

Cash had some decent games under Emery and injuries caused him to miss games. But he simply has to improve his positional sense when the ball is in the air, looking back at that Everton game and his inability to deal with Dyche ball was embarrassing for a PL defender.

It's interesting to note in the McGinn article posted in the Emery thread, how he spoke of "football intelligence" being a big part of the coaching now under Emery.  And as much as I like Matty Cash, he doesn't strike me as the brightest of players (this is just going from the interviews I've seen, he could well be a secret Mensa candidate).

I suspect that being able to process and react to lots of information on the pitch in real-time, is something only the clever players will ever really excel at.  Though Jack has surprised me by apparently being able to do that for Pep at Man City, so who knows?

Offline Smithy

« Reply #642 on: June 07, 2023, 01:07:59 PM »

I think at time Konsa owns it too, though it's usually Mings. They just seem really well drilled, it looks automatic for them all now, not looking about to cover each other etc, just focusing on their own roles.

I never played to a particularly high standard, but I distinctly remember in one important game the manager telling our entire back four to step up every time a particular midfielder got the ball on the half turn anywhere in the middle of the pitch, because his first thought was always a ball over the top and into the channel. There was no one calling it, they just had to see it and react in unison.  So I'm absolutely positive these elite level athletes have a whole range 'triggers' to look out for in the game, which dictates when they go, stay or react. And no doubt it's drilled into them until it's like muscle memory.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #643 on: June 07, 2023, 02:07:10 PM »
Yep, it's a beautiful thing to watch when we're on it.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #644 on: June 07, 2023, 02:16:40 PM »
It's possible to have a high level of football intelligence while being thick as shit in other aspects of life. Rooney always came across that way.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal