collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: VAR by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:27:52 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by KevinGage
[Today at 08:27:07 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:23:45 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:23:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PaulWinch again
[Today at 08:20:07 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by jon collett
[Today at 08:19:03 PM]

Re: Bristol Villa fans by The Edge
[Today at 08:17:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Goldenballs
[Today at 08:15:59 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa vs Wolves - Post debacle thread  (Read 22259 times)

Offline saint13

Re: Villa vs Wolves - Post debacle thread
« Reply #195 on: October 17, 2021, 09:29:59 AM »
Quote from: LukeJames link=topic=62525.msg40569

Purely out of interest, when was that?
[/quote

Spurs, 1979.

Leeds & Man Utd at home around the same time. Finished 2 2

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #196 on: October 17, 2021, 09:33:58 AM »
How we managed to do that from a position of comfort with 10 mins to go I'll never understand as long as I've got a hole in my rear,

We were never in a position of comfort. Our defence and pissing around with the ball at the back made it uncomfortable throughout. Wolves never gave up and looked like they wanted it more.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #197 on: October 17, 2021, 09:36:32 AM »
I think yesterday was one of those freak things that happens sometimes. In all honesty I don't really know how it happened. The hope is that it doesn't affect confidence too much going forward.

This

I’m not A massive fan of DS tbh but you can’t pin this all on him. The subs seem correct save as Young for Cash and just before a corner is taken. The first two goals were from exquisite build up play and passing which Wolves hadn’t done all game. The third was a wicked deflection. They will never do that again in the space of 14 mins. Just the perfect storm

However we didn’t help ourselves. Watkins, Ings and TArgett all caught out for the first two and a stupid foul for the third. McGinn also had the chance to clear leading up to their second but dallied when he should have put it in row Z. What we needed was some leadership from the senior pro’s and if necessary a bit of gamesmanship to slow the game down. They will have sensed Wolves dominance and acted accordingly

Finally McGinn was excellent for the first 60 mins and the crossing from Targett and Cash is generally abysmal

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #198 on: October 17, 2021, 09:37:15 AM »
I’m not convinced by Buendia. Feels a bit like the second coming of Carles Gil. Obviously skilful but a bit slow off the mark and easily dispossessed.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #199 on: October 17, 2021, 09:39:37 AM »
On the bright side, if there is one, I wouldn't take a single one of Wolves starting line up and we'll defend better next time out, it cant be worse. On the down side I guess those snow-washed backwards tramps will think they have a rivalry with us again now.

Disagree.  I'd certainly take Coady over Mings. 

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #200 on: October 17, 2021, 09:43:47 AM »
How we managed to do that from a position of comfort with 10 mins to go I'll never understand as long as I've got a hole in my rear,

We were never in a position of comfort. Our defence and pissing around with the ball at the back made it uncomfortable throughout. Wolves never gave up and looked like they wanted it more.

I disagree, and so do my Tatter mates who were there. They were beaten at 2-0 until we self destructed.

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #201 on: October 17, 2021, 09:45:46 AM »
I’m not convinced by Buendia. Feels a bit like the second coming of Carles Gil. Obviously skilful but a bit slow off the mark and easily dispossessed.

Yup, he needs to be locked in the weights room, he doesnt look like he's got any speed to lose by bulking up.

Online RichardBatchelor

« Reply #202 on: October 17, 2021, 09:50:18 AM »
Similar collapses in recent years: Home against Leeds 2-3 in Dec 2018 (Roofe winner 95th minute). Home against Liverpool 1-2 in Nov 2019 (Mane winner 94th minute). Typical sitting back instead of attacking, just like yesterday.
The fact that that’s three times in four years (compare with Lambert, most times we had a lead) suggests it’s anything but ‘typical.’

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #203 on: October 17, 2021, 09:54:28 AM »
A selection of my conversation with a baggies fan yesterday on my morning dogwalk.
" I'm hoping the game I'm going to see is better than your effort against Blues". Check.
" It's 2 developing midtable teams so I'm going for a 3-2 either way". Check.
I also moved one seat to my right in the DE Upper for the second half so it's all my fault right?

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #204 on: October 17, 2021, 09:56:39 AM »
I thought we looked relatively comfortable until Podence came on, and if he hadn't, and it had ended 2-0, no one would have complained about the performance. But he made a massive difference, just in terms of unpredictability - it knocked us right out of our rhythm.  That shouldn't happen, one tricky player (of his level) shouldn't have that much of an effect.

The fact is, they brought on two more attack-minded players on 74 mins to really go for it (with nothing really to lose at 2-0 down), and rather than put our foot on their throat we took off Buendia and put on a slightly more defensive-minded midfielder - that was the big mistake, I think.  I don't think it's a formation thing (the formation got us to 2-0 up), I just think the subs made with 15-ish minutes to go paid off hugely for them, and not at all for us. Dean has to take the blame for the subs, even if Cash coming off was forced on him.

They had three shots on target in the last 20 mins, and they all went in - that's lightning strike territory.

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #205 on: October 17, 2021, 09:58:28 AM »
I thought we looked relatively comfortable until Podence came on, and if he hadn't, and it had ended 2-0, no one would have complained about the performance. But he made a massive difference, just in terms of unpredictability - it knocked us right out of our rhythm.  That shouldn't happen, one tricky player (of his level) shouldn't have that much of an effect.

The fact is, they brought on two more attack-minded players on 74 mins to really go for it (with nothing really to lose at 2-0 down), and rather than put our foot on their throat we took off Buendia and put on a slightly more defensive-minded midfielder - that was the big mistake, I think.  I don't think it's a formation thing (the formation got us to 2-0 up), I just think the subs made with 15-ish minutes to go paid off hugely for them, and not at all for us. Dean has to take the blame for the subs, even if Cash coming off was forced on him.

They had three shots on target in the last 20 mins, and they all went in - that's lightning strike territory.

Pretty much as I saw it although I would have pulled Buendia earlier.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #206 on: October 17, 2021, 10:12:59 AM »
Having a top-class winger coming on worked to great effect against Everton. Yesterday, only El Ghazi, who could've been utilised for the last 20 minutes or so. Annoyingly, both Bailey and Traore together with longterm absentee Trezeguet all unavailable. You could also point to Luiz coming off probably due to jetlag certainly changed the midfield defensively - blame these irritating international breaks for this: these small details can all add up particularly towards the last quarter of any game.

Offline McGraths Dry Cleaning

« Reply #207 on: October 17, 2021, 10:15:19 AM »
One of the worst capitulations I've seen. Liverpool one a couple of seasons ago felt similar. Wolves barely did anything all game and we gave away 3 awful goals.

My lad says there was some gesturing between Buendia and the bench before his sub.

Players need to take some responsibility. Have we got any leaders out there? Have we got a game plan?

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #208 on: October 17, 2021, 10:15:27 AM »
A day after and it still doesn't feel any less bitter any less galling.

A defeat conjured out of nowhere. A Wolves team with only Traore offering a threat. No Jiminez and Hwang invisible.

Being a good team is as much about mental strength and fortitude as it is technical ability. We have some genuine ability in this team but I fear that we have a soft underbelly, a lack of self-belief that defines the top teams.

When we needed focus and composure we got a collective attack of the jitters.

We have got to get more streetwise and fast.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #209 on: October 17, 2021, 10:18:41 AM »
Quickest ban ever. And rightly so. What a twat.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal