collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Footy-Vill
[Today at 04:16:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 04:15:16 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Richard E
[Today at 04:15:03 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 04:14:55 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Footy-Vill
[Today at 04:12:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by mrfuse
[Today at 04:12:05 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 04:10:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 04:10:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chelsea vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread EFL 3rd Round.  (Read 12207 times)

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Chelsea vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread EFL 3rd Round.
« Reply #165 on: September 23, 2021, 11:23:02 AM »
Nakamba's was well struck, but the keeper had guessed and was already halfway there when he hit it.

Young's was just wank. He's never been convincing from the spot. Gareth Barry should've taken that.

Young was crap all night. They targeted him with Hudson-Adoi, and Young hardly got near him. It took Hause to bail him out loads of times. Then when he started getting chippy with the ref at the coin toss for penalties, I knew he’d miss it. After last night’s display I hope he’s only used for absolute emergencies now. Well past it.

I thought CHO was hopeless...got loads of the ball but didn't skin Young all that often, running into blind alleys usually and having to turn back. Young made a poor mistake in the first half alright, getting caught under the ball and Ziyech broke free but don't recall many more.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #166 on: September 23, 2021, 11:53:27 AM »
Really bug bearer of mine on penalties...obviously if it's someone like El Ghazi who's ice cold in that situation you just leave them to it and pick their corner. Young frustrating but he's scored many in the past.

With Nakamba and other players who never really take them I'd always just advise them to hit it down the middle. Obviously don't make it clear with run up and put some height on it so keeper dosen't kick it away with his foot when diving but I'm always surprised more players don't do it as a keeper will dive 9/10 so odds are pretty strong in your favour.

Can remember one of the Italy players doing it at a crucial point in the euros final. Troy Deeney always tends to do it and keepers still can't save them despite not even diving.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #167 on: September 23, 2021, 12:15:42 PM »
I'm so happy with the way we played we were brilliant the kids played brilliantly just unlucky to lose on penalties.

Online Skerra

« Reply #168 on: September 23, 2021, 12:58:47 PM »
Great performance but, bottom line is that we are yet again out of a cup. I could understand the starting line up but our bench was so poor. We are not going to win the league anytime soon so, why not at least try to win a cup competition and, raise our profile at the same time?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2021, 02:42:17 PM »
Really bug bearer of mine on penalties...obviously if it's someone like El Ghazi who's ice cold in that situation you just leave them to it and pick their corner. Young frustrating but he's scored many in the past.

With Nakamba and other players who never really take them I'd always just advise them to hit it down the middle. Obviously don't make it clear with run up and put some height on it so keeper dosen't kick it away with his foot when diving but I'm always surprised more players don't do it as a keeper will dive 9/10 so odds are pretty strong in your favour.

Can remember one of the Italy players doing it at a crucial point in the euros final. Troy Deeney always tends to do it and keepers still can't save them despite not even diving.

The trouble is do that, and the keeper stands still and you look a right Charlie. It shouldn’t be beyond the ability of any professional footballer to kick a ball from that distance hard and to one of the corners, regardless of height.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #170 on: September 23, 2021, 02:58:48 PM »
Great performance but, bottom line is that we are yet again out of a cup. I could understand the starting line up but our bench was so poor. We are not going to win the league anytime soon so, why not at least try to win a cup competition and, raise our profile at the same time?
But it's not that simple is it? We need a big squad and youth players coming through. If they can't get a run out in the Carabo Cup when do you suggest? It's not just about having a big squad it's about keeping that squad match ready, and crucially it's about keeping them happy or you'll find we start to lose the very squad they are carefully building and desperately need to push on as a club.

Online Skerra

« Reply #171 on: September 23, 2021, 04:29:17 PM »
It is that simple…what I’m saying is put youngsters on the bench but, keep a couple of the subs for a couple of experienced players, who may be able to affect the result. As far as I can see, most teams keep a couple of strikers on the bench, for these cup matches. Also, I’m at the wrong age in my life so, can’t wait for another 5/10 year project to pan out. Apologies.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #172 on: September 23, 2021, 04:45:14 PM »
I don't have any complaints over the team selection. It was still a strong side, and we need to keep a large squad happy and match ready. It wasn't like we put the whole youth team out there. Getting Chelsea away was pretty much the toughest draw we could have had, and even playing our best XI there were no guarantees. If we lose, pick up an injury to a key player and head to OT tired, it would be viewed as a waste. As it was we got valuable game time for our promising youngsters (who knows how much that will pay dividends in future), and with a bit of luck we'd have made it through. Good performances from Nakamba, Hause, Traore also keeps the pressure on the best XI. Overall it was a great investment in our future even if it is disappointing to be out.
Great post. We all want the youngsters to come through but to do it means being brave with it in matches like these.
Hopefully we're only a season and a kinder draw away from coasting to the semis with the 2nd string, and then taking it seriously like the bellend clubs.
Bring on the kids!

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #173 on: September 23, 2021, 04:59:03 PM »
It is that simple…what I’m saying is put youngsters on the bench but, keep a couple of the subs for a couple of experienced players, who may be able to affect the result. As far as I can see, most teams keep a couple of strikers on the bench, for these cup matches. Also, I’m at the wrong age in my life so, can’t wait for another 5/10 year project to pan out. Apologies.
I agree broadly with what your saying but I do think it's a bit of a damned if you don't damned if you do situation. We're getting that big squad together that we know we need and we also want to see the best of the kids given a go but only 15 of the squad can ever be used on a match day so someone always misses out and someone will always say why didn't they do this or that when we lose.But I'm still on board the Dean Smith express and trust  their decisions and I do think they're not that far away now from bringing home some silverware that we all crave.

Online Pat McMahon

« Reply #174 on: September 23, 2021, 05:40:53 PM »
24 hours later and I still have a sore throat. Support last night was genuinely amazing and was constant throughout the game - a reflection of the effort the players put in.

I thought most had a good game. Archer grabs the headlines for a beautiful goal and I was impressed by my first sighting of the somewhat fragile Sanson but I really felt a glorious touch of arrogance and "I belong here" from Chukwuemeka. Some of our finishing was frustratingly poor, though Chelsea may possibly feel the same - hard to tell from back row of the upper tier how close some of their chances were.

Buendia still finding his feet - he is trying hard but I don't think he had a great game. I didn't see him at Norwich but read on here that he is very much a wide player who cuts inside, not a number 10.

Twice I've been to Chelsea in 10 days now and their vocal support has really deteriorated. They used to be a rowdy bunch, though still have noisy away support. Chatting on the tube to a couple who say they resent the number of corporate seats in the ground - "becoming like Arsenal". Any club which moves its traditional home end has some serious questions to ask about its attitude to the fan base.

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2021, 05:59:37 PM »
The Villa following came over very well on the stream I was watching with the exception of the jarring "F*** the Albion" which was out of place

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #176 on: September 23, 2021, 06:04:50 PM »
The Villa following came over very well on the stream I was watching with the exception of the jarring "F*** the Albion" which was out of place

That was aimed at Lukaku while he was warming up on the touchline

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #177 on: September 23, 2021, 06:11:42 PM »
I agree broadly with what your saying but I do think it's a bit of a damned if you don't damned if you do situation. We're getting that big squad together that we know we need and we also want to see the best of the kids given a go but only 15 of the squad can ever be used on a match day so someone always misses out and someone will always say why didn't they do this or that when we lose.But I'm still on board the Dean Smith express and trust  their decisions and I do think they're not that far away now from bringing home some silverware that we all crave.

I think we could have had Ings and Luiz in the squad last night at the expense of Bogarde and the other Chukwuemeka personally. It would still have been a very youthful squad, but we could have used the older heads if required. Bogarde for example was never likely to get a run out, but having Ings on the bench at the very least would have meant another striker in the squad, which there wasn't last night.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #178 on: September 23, 2021, 07:27:06 PM »

I felt like this when i saw the team/bench, but actually Edge is right its not that simple. Mainly because the subs who came on all played really well on the whole.
I had the misfortune of catching 2 minutes of Arry Redknapp on talkshite today and he patronisingly said our kids played well but chelsea over ran us 2nd half. Really!! Call me one eyed, but they had 5 maybe 10 minutes after they scored that looked like that and 5 minutes at the end. In between we equalised and created at least two if not three golden chances through brilliant football, to carve them open.
Dont get me wrong im closer to 50 than 40 now and i was still at bloody uni in my prime the last time we won anything, so im disappointed another cup in another year has gone, but i am also hugely full of optimism. I fancy us to beat those fuckers on Saturday  as well

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2021, 08:51:49 PM »
Carling
Coors Light
Foster’s
Kronenbourg 1664

Awful
Atrocious
Poor
Half-decent
1664 is also piss.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal