collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Chelsea vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread EFL 3rd Round.  (Read 12232 times)

Online Chico Hamilton III

Re: Chelsea vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread EFL 3rd Round.
« Reply #150 on: September 23, 2021, 08:56:53 AM »
The kids were fantastic last night. They were all up for it, the atmosphere was incredible from the first minute to the last penalty. That will have done their development the world of good. And the Polish Cafu song seems to be gaining a lot of traction.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #151 on: September 23, 2021, 09:24:56 AM »
As well as everything their accomplished performances will have done for the youth, it was a great endorsement for the plans of the owners.

Offline supertom

« Reply #152 on: September 23, 2021, 09:41:52 AM »
When I looked at our lineup compared to Chelseas I expected a tonking. What we got was a superb performance and Archer ably handled the pressure of leading the line against a lineup from Chelsea that Tuchel wouldn't hesitate to put out in the league (maybe Werner aside).

Penalties is the worst way to go out and I'd have liked a longer run as much to see the kids get more game time than anything else.

I think our academy prospects are proving they're ready to step in when called upon in the big time. We've certainly seen enough from Carney, Jacob and Archer to suggest they could have an impact. I really hope we do right by them and get the balance of how much time they should be getting on pitch. (And conversely not giving them too much of a financial reward too soon, which derailed the Fonz for example). We have to be building around these kids for the next 5-10 years going forward. Other clubs are doing likewise (fair play to James for the shitters, stepping up and taking the winning pen, he's come on quite impressively the last 2 years).

Exciting times ahead.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2021, 09:55:55 AM »
Just a bit disappointed we didn't put out a better squad. They were there for the taking especially with that centre half pairing. That's tempered by the fact i'm not sure who was fit from the First XI to play so who knows really. Think it should have been taken more seriously that the Manc game though. See they got Southampton at home which is basically a bye to the QF. Ah well.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2021, 10:13:09 AM »
I don't have any complaints over the team selection. It was still a strong side, and we need to keep a large squad happy and match ready. It wasn't like we put the whole youth team out there. Getting Chelsea away was pretty much the toughest draw we could have had, and even playing our best XI there were no guarantees. If we lose, pick up an injury to a key player and head to OT tired, it would be viewed as a waste. As it was we got valuable game time for our promising youngsters (who knows how much that will pay dividends in future), and with a bit of luck we'd have made it through. Good performances from Nakamba, Hause, Traore also keeps the pressure on the best XI. Overall it was a great investment in our future even if it is disappointing to be out.

Great post. We all want the youngsters to come through but to do it means being brave with it in matches like these.

Hopefully we're only a season and a kinder draw away from coasting to the semis with the 2nd string, and then taking it seriously like the bellend clubs.

Online nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #155 on: September 23, 2021, 10:14:24 AM »
The kids were fantastic last night. They were all up for it, the atmosphere was incredible from the first minute to the last penalty. That will have done their development the world of good. And the Polish Cafu song seems to be gaining a lot of traction.

I’m guessing the Dirty Cash (Money Talks) song for Matty Cash that someone was trying to start at the Stoke friendly didn’t catch on then?

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #156 on: September 23, 2021, 10:14:50 AM »
I do find it funny that everyone criticised that Nakamba took a penalty and Young blasting off the crossbar is ignored.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #157 on: September 23, 2021, 10:16:40 AM »
I do find it funny that everyone criticised that Nakamba took a penalty and Young blasting off the crossbar is ignored.

Young’s was much worse. A save is a save, but not even getting it on target is criminal.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #158 on: September 23, 2021, 10:20:16 AM »

Young’s was much worse. A save is a save, but not even getting it on target is criminal.

Agreed if you take a decent penalty and it’s saved fair enough
There’s no excuses for professional players who miss the target

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2021, 10:22:56 AM »
Nakamba's was well struck, but the keeper had guessed and was already halfway there when he hit it.

Young's was just wank. He's never been convincing from the spot. Gareth Barry should've taken that.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #160 on: September 23, 2021, 10:23:40 AM »
I thought Young overall was sloppy and had a feeling he'd miss his pen like he did when we played them in that 4-4 epic some years back.  Same end too.

Still, a good run out for some of the younger players.  Sanson looked decent, Bundeia didn't do much and was largely disappointing and he's going to have to work for his place on that showing.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #161 on: September 23, 2021, 10:48:26 AM »
I think the team selection was spot on. Yeah, it's hugely disappointing to be out, but not for want of trying. Our kids might still technically be that, but they're being treated and trusted like everyone else in the senior squad. Archer coped superbly in his biggest start when a lesser character could have crumbled when looking around and seeing that he's both the vanguard and the cavalry. We're putting more and more weight on these lads' shoulders, and they're not buckling. So again, disappointed, but many pointers to an exciting future that's imminent.

And I thought Sanson was really good. Seems intelligent with the ability to back it up, picked the right pass every time. Wonderful pass for the Archer chance. Won't be back til Easter now, will he?

Online Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #162 on: September 23, 2021, 10:48:43 AM »
Disappointed to go out on pens: a decent League Cup run would have been a nice winter warmer. Listening on the radio, it sounded a good performance though. Hope we can give Manure a game on Saturday.

It's our year for the FA Cup, it really is...

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #163 on: September 23, 2021, 10:51:03 AM »
Nakamba's was well struck, but the keeper had guessed and was already halfway there when he hit it.

Young's was just wank. He's never been convincing from the spot. Gareth Barry should've taken that.

Young was crap all night. They targeted him with Hudson-Adoi, and Young hardly got near him. It took Hause to bail him out loads of times. Then when he started getting chippy with the ref at the coin toss for penalties, I knew he’d miss it. After last night’s display I hope he’s only used for absolute emergencies now. Well past it.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #164 on: September 23, 2021, 11:19:34 AM »

Agreed if you take a decent penalty and it’s saved fair enough
There’s no excuses for professional players who miss the target
Funny that as I see it totally the other way round. Nakamba's pen was hit at a saveable height.  Pro footballers should never do that. Young's pen was well hit and no way any keeper would have saved that but just a inch too high.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal