collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:57:11 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R23: ASTON VILLA v Brentford, Saturday 6th April!🥧 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:50:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 03:48:53 AM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 03:39:31 AM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:10:39 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by AV84
[April 30, 2024, 11:56:01 PM]

NSWE Investment by luke95
[April 30, 2024, 11:17:05 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Dogtanian
[April 30, 2024, 10:41:39 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 3-0 Everton post match thread  (Read 21364 times)

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Aston Villa 3-0 Everton post match thread
« Reply #180 on: September 19, 2021, 12:11:50 PM »
Brilliant performance and great result great day out again yesterday.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #181 on: September 19, 2021, 12:15:56 PM »
People still moaning about 5-3-2? 🤣

Yep, 3-5-2 was awful. Game changed 2 minutes after we switched formation.

I didn’t think we changed formation.
 Bailey was a straight swap, in regards formation, for Targett.
It remained 3-5-2 as far as I could make out

Nah, Mings went left back. Young then replaced Bailey as we went back to the non-scoring 5-3-2.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #182 on: September 19, 2021, 12:23:49 PM »
People still moaning about 5-3-2? 🤣

Yep, 3-5-2 was awful. Game changed 2 minutes after we switched formation.

I didn’t think we changed formation.
 Bailey was a straight swap, in regards formation, for Targett.
It remained 3-5-2 as far as I could make out

Nah, Mings went left back. Young then replaced Bailey as we went back to the non-scoring 5-3-2.

Smith said it was a straight swap so I'll go with him if you don't mind. Said he asked both full backs to stay really high and asked Mings and Konsa to bring the ball out. Bold move that pushed everton back and paid off.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #183 on: September 19, 2021, 12:27:27 PM »
You think Bailey was playing left back? Yeah, okay mate. It was 0-0 with hardly any chances with five at the back. Battered them senseless with four at the back.

Get Bailey in and start with four at the back next game, please.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2021, 12:28:23 PM »
No he was playing left of a middle 5. Apparently.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #185 on: September 19, 2021, 12:30:40 PM »
Scintillating end to what was a very poor first half. A flash of brilliance from Matty Cash changed the game and the introduction of Leon Bailey who was absolutely superb.A much needed win with some extremely tough fixtures coming up.

Queue ridiculous at Half Time again and it wasn't just me who was frustrated by it. Told the chap behind me to contact the club because the more of us that do the better chance of seeing improvements

Offline Monty

« Reply #186 on: September 19, 2021, 12:32:03 PM »
It's a work of art at this stage.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #187 on: September 19, 2021, 12:33:22 PM »
Watching it back on Sky. When the 2nd went in Konsa screamed in Godfreys face.

Proper shithouse.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #188 on: September 19, 2021, 12:37:55 PM »
Cue ridiculous.

Offline nigel

« Reply #189 on: September 19, 2021, 12:48:02 PM »
You think Bailey was playing left back? Yeah, okay mate. It was 0-0 with hardly any chances with five at the back. Battered them senseless with four at the back.

It wasn’t 5 at the back, though, mate. It was always a 3-5-2 formation
Cash and Targett were pushing so high they could hardly be called full backs today.

Cash certainly didn’t change what he was doing when Bailey came on, so, as Dean said, it remained 3-5-2. Likewise when Young replaced Bailey.

I get you don’t like the 3 centre halves, but, for me, with the right personnel it’s a really flexible formation.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #190 on: September 19, 2021, 12:56:02 PM »

Cash and Targett were pushing so high they could hardly be called full backs today.

Cash certainly didn’t change what he was doing when Bailey came on, so, as Dean said, it remained 3-5-2. Likewise when Young replaced Bailey.

I get you don’t like the 3 centre halves, but, for me, with the right personnel it’s a really flexible formation.

And in the second half Mings was given room to roam forward more, which made a big difference. It can be a very flexible and attacking formation. The challenge for Smith this year is to use the squad, which will mean using different formations. But yesterday it worked very well.

Offline Monty

« Reply #191 on: September 19, 2021, 12:59:52 PM »

And in the second half Mings was given room to roam forward more, which made a big difference. It can be a very flexible and attacking formation. The challenge for Smith this year is to use the squad, which will mean using different formations. But yesterday it worked very well.

I think it had mixed results up until a tweak, which I thought was four at the back but more on here seem convinced was more what you describe. Whatever he did, it worked, and isn't that a really pleasing thing to say about Dean Smith?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #192 on: September 19, 2021, 01:03:50 PM »

It was neither three nor five at the back. We had four defenders on the pitch. Cash, Tuanzebe, Konsa and Mings. None of them were playing in midfield.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #193 on: September 19, 2021, 01:05:29 PM »
It is a very different 352 when you change a solid left back to a £30m winger. And it did look like Mings shifted over to the left to plug the gap left by Bailey playing high and wide.

Offline nigel

« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2021, 01:18:52 PM »

It was neither three nor five at the back. We had four defenders on the pitch. Cash, Tuanzebe, Konsa and Mings. None of them were playing in midfield.

Yes, but neither Cash or Targett were playing fullback roles. Yes, they both defended at times, but there’s no way on Earth that either were playing traditional fullback roles, which would, incidentally, have made it 5 at the back. Surely you could see that?

Dean actually said that because Cash and Targett  were playing so high it enabled them to stick to the same formation when Bailey and Young came on.

I don’t suppose we’ll ever agree, though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal