collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Fan Voted Player of the Year by LeonW
[Today at 02:49:35 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by adrenachrome
[Today at 02:41:39 AM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:31:51 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by AV84
[April 30, 2024, 11:56:01 PM]

NSWE Investment by luke95
[April 30, 2024, 11:17:05 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Dogtanian
[April 30, 2024, 10:41:39 PM]

Champions League Contention by dave.woodhall
[April 30, 2024, 10:28:40 PM]

Kits 23/24 by KRS
[April 30, 2024, 09:53:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 3-0 Everton post match thread  (Read 21362 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Aston Villa 3-0 Everton post match thread
« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2021, 10:14:33 AM »
There was a lot of talk on the match thread that he moved to a back four after Bailey came on, and that's why we scored, etc, etc. In Smith's words however it was a straight swap with Targett and they didn't change the formation.

That's what I thought. Watched MOTD again and couldn't see a change in formation after Bailey came on
Bailey was on the half way line when Ings played him in, I do not believe Tarrget would have been in that position.
So I do think the formation was changed.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2021, 10:21:37 AM »
There was a lot of talk on the match thread that he moved to a back four after Bailey came on, and that's why we scored, etc, etc. In Smith's words however it was a straight swap with Targett and they didn't change the formation.

That's what I thought. Watched MOTD again and couldn't see a change in formation after Bailey came on

That's not what I saw, Bailey was way high up the pitch and Mings was even overlapping and taking throw ins. Plus later he clearly went back to CB pushing Konsa to right back. Am I mad?? Are my eyes working??

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #152 on: September 19, 2021, 10:21:44 AM »
Where was Sanson yesterday? Still injured? He wasnt on the bench
i don’t see how he gets in the team.

Ther will inevitably be injuries and suspensions as well as players needing a break from time to time. I don’t think Smith will take the MON approach of having a squad but not using it.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2021, 10:22:00 AM »
Yeah Smith said Targett was playing so far forward as a wing back so a straight swap for Bailey made sense.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2021, 10:25:11 AM »
I don't think the formation changed either because at the time, I couldn't see who went to left back if that was the case.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2021, 10:25:44 AM »
Marv was my MOTM - Took the midfield by the scruff of the neck when he came on, with some great interceptions, and surprisingly assured passing.

IMO, that formation doesn't make the best of our squad. Targett and Cash as our main supply lines is not the answer when you have two England strikers up front - Their crossing was abysmal yesterday! Can't question it too much as we beat a team that we're attempting to leapfrog 3-0, but it's hugely exciting that we now have a strength in depth to change systems and keep opponents guessing for the rest of the season.

Really pleased for Dean too - Managerial nous shown yesterday which has arguably been missing for most of his reign....finally unveiled the fabled Plan B!

Can't believe people are slating Ings yesterday. All I saw was his great link-up play with Targett and the midfield, and lots of tracking back and tackling. Surprised by his pace too tbh. His and Ollie's goals will come.  UTV!

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2021, 10:27:00 AM »

That's not what I saw, Bailey was way high up the pitch and Mings was even overlapping and taking throw ins. Plus later he clearly went back to CB pushing Konsa to right back. Am I mad?? Are my eyes working??

To be fair its hard to say from the 30 seconds on MOTD after Bailey came on. I'd say Bailey was obviously going to attack further up the field because that's his natural game and Smith seems to think we were still playing it. Also the Cash goal was pretty 5-3-2 ish imo

Offline exigo

« Reply #157 on: September 19, 2021, 10:34:08 AM »
Two of the three goals lifted the Holte End net up out of the ground. The next best sight after one bouncing down off the bar and up into the roof of the net. Aesthetically pleasing, as well as just bloody brilliant to watch.

Offline colin69

« Reply #158 on: September 19, 2021, 10:34:17 AM »
Whatever the formation was (and it looked 3-5-2 to me), it certainly seemed to benefit Cash.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #159 on: September 19, 2021, 10:36:00 AM »
We didn't change formation. Mings wasn't at left back, but the wing backs pushed on a lot higher second half.

My initial thought was Bailey would go to make a ye olde 442, but we didn't. Not that we did much defending after he came on, but there was a brief occasion where he tracked into cover and proceeded ro beat his man too.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 10:40:59 AM by Ads »

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2021, 10:38:00 AM »
Interesting. Maybe we were just pushing them back so much at that point that Mings, in his wide CB position, was almost playing as a kind of left-mid. One way or another we were basically living in their half by that stage.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2021, 10:40:04 AM »
From my Witton Lane view, The Holte End looked amazing when the third goal went in. It was almost 'Old Holte' limbs everywhere. Fantastic.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2021, 10:42:29 AM »
I don't envy the man who has to pick the team, we have options everywhere.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #163 on: September 19, 2021, 10:44:09 AM »
I thought Nakamba did a more than decent job after he came on.
Nakamba was excellent today. Ramsey’s progression is clear - he’s looking better on and off the ball.

Ramsey is clearly a good athlete and turns with the ball very well but I didn't think he was great yesterday. Took the wrong option with the ball a lot including that great chance when 2 up. Thought Luiz misplaced a lot of passes too, despite one that mattered for the first goal. I'm not a Nakamba fan but he did well, no doubt about it. I like having a midfield three though, good balance to it.

Deano made an interesting comment post game in that he didn't switch to a back 4 when Bailey came up, just that they noticed Targett was playing very high up the pitch and thought it would be better to get a more natural wide option on there. Surprised Benitez didn't spot that and move Gray over there as I don't think running back to his own goal will be Baileys forte.

I've been an advocate of trying 352 on occasion but I don't think we looked suited to it yesterday. I thought Gray (who was excellent) and Rondon (in the first half) caused our back 3 a lot more problems than they should have. Tuanzebe was like an unnecessary spare man for most of the game. Targett was lost at LWB and the front two played as individuals, poorly in Watkins case. With four decent wide options on the bench it makes no sense to play wing backs for home games. 

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #164 on: September 19, 2021, 10:44:33 AM »

To be fair its hard to say from the 30 seconds on MOTD after Bailey came on. I'd say Bailey was obviously going to attack further up the field because that's his natural game and Smith seems to think we were still playing it. Also the Cash goal was pretty 5-3-2 ish imo

From where I was Targett was playing further forward than a “five”, more wide midfield than full back “ bombing on”.  He did drop back occasionally. When Bailey came on Mings covered the left. Dont think he dropped in defensively much.

Cash more defensive overall but did get in the gaps created by Ing and Watkins dragging their defenders out of position. That increased as the game went on.

After Cash was subbed we went to a back four, Konsa at right back, Young on the left.

Interesting to watch Smith change formations during the game.  More to play with off the bench allows this … and arguably not playing continually to one player for our attacking ideas

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal