collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PeterWithe
[Today at 08:35:48 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 08:35:15 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Richard E
[Today at 08:28:33 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PeterWithe
[Today at 08:28:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Richard
[Today at 08:26:22 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Meanwood Villa
[Today at 08:24:27 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by andyh
[Today at 08:19:53 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Ian.
[Today at 08:10:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Brentford Post-Match Thread  (Read 19563 times)

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
Re: Aston Villa vs Brentford Post-Match Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2021, 05:52:10 PM »
Not a bad performance considering the players missing. Still think we lack a destroyer in the middle. Felt the referee ruined the game.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2021, 05:52:15 PM »
There was a moment towards the end where the Scouse co-commentator tried to sum things up. He said 'both teams have set their stall out for the season: Brentford, they keep the ball, they press aggressively; Aston Villa...well...they're trying to move into this post-Jack Grealish era now...erm..."

And that about sums it up for me. I know we had injuries, a draw isn't a bad result considering those. But what is our style of play? Can anyone actually tell me what our plan is? How do we attack, how do we press, how do we beat the opposition press, how do we move in the final third. We must be the team whose players spend the longest average time on the ball, because a player will just get it, everyone will run away from them, and they'll end up tapping it sideways or playing one of those shit slice-chips into the channels or up to well-known target man Danny Ings.

I don't think we want to be some sort of long-ball team. But we don't have any actual positional patterns, or movements, or strategies. We're aimless. And the period of play with the 2 up top - I know it was a disjointed end to the game, I know everyone goes long at the end anyone, but it's probably the least coherent passage of play I've seen from any team this season. Please, coaches, sort it out.

Sorry just don’t agree. How can possibly judge the style of play, formation etc when up to 6 players who would be expected to start or possibly start were out injured or ill. The squad depth that has been built, allowed  us to at least compete today. Apart from Man City and Chelsea, I can’t think of another team who wouldn’t struggle without 6 first teamers and that includes Man U and Liverpool.
On top of that we have 3 new players in the team today if you include Tuanzebe and a kid making his first start.

Four points from 9 not an ideal, but Jesus some perspective is needed. Let’s see what’s happening after 10 games with our main players back.

Because I've watched Dean Smith's Villa for a few years, and without Jack Grealish there isn't a plan for breaking teams down. If you read my post instead of just quoting it, you'll have seen that I don't think a point is a terrible result. My problem is the style - or rather, the lack thereof.

Everyone in a squad should know what the style of play is. He chose to put Young in midfield, to bring in Carney, rather than more experienced options like Hourihane and Nakamba, so he must have had some confidence they knew how we play. Yet does anyone? There's no evidence of it.

It's an important break for us now I think to bed in the team and backroom staff. Watkins back from injury and hopefully more to follow like Traore, Sanson and Bailey. No harm for Mings to presumably drop out of the England squad through injury. I think your first point is still valid but maybe a bit more patience required.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2021, 05:54:02 PM »
We were missing Mings, McGinn, Ramsey, Bailey and Watkins for most of it. When you take that into consideration we did OK.

That's how I saw it as well. Quite enjoyed it to be fair.

Me too - thought it was a good game. We had 5 first team picks out and even with that thought we shaded it - AEG looked good today. The only criticism is Young in midfield - not sure what Dean sees to make that the right pick, I’d have had Marv in his place to bolster DM.

All in all a steady start. Strong players to come back and give Brentford some credit - they are no mugs and won’t be embarrassed in this league. The break will do us good.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2021, 05:55:39 PM »
We were missing Mings, McGinn, Ramsey, Bailey and Watkins for most of it. When you take that into consideration we did OK.

Yep, agreed. Quite enjoyed it, thought the fullbacks were better, Buendia’s best game, weak through the middle but with the injuries plus late pull outs not at all bad.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2021, 05:56:15 PM »
Unsure what it means to be impatient in this regard. I'm not calling for him to be sacked or anything. I'm criticising something that I do think is perfectly within is remit to address. I hope he does address it, sincerely, but it's been a while now. Maybe that mooted new coach will be a catalyst, like it was for Ferguson several times.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2021, 05:58:01 PM »
Today’s results epitomize why Jack left.

City stroll to a 5-0 drubbing of Arsenal while we labour to a 1 -1 draw v Brentford.

Who? I really don't care....

Thought we did well considering all the injuries and illnesses. I would have taken that result at the beginning of the game.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2021, 05:59:03 PM »
I dont think it is all doom and gloom. Imagine being an arse fan tonight. No points...no goals  unless you count the smethwick youth.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2021, 06:01:53 PM »
Also what the hell was that defwnding fir brentfords goal? Its unbelievable a premier league defence gives a dangerous striker completely unmarked.  Wtf

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2021, 06:06:35 PM »
That was a struggle. We're not looking much like top four material at the moment. Thankfully we scored soon after them because we looked unlikely to score after that.

Is it any surprise we're not looking atop 4 team with such a makeshift team? Some top players missing.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2021, 06:07:18 PM »
I genuinely don’t recall the last time that so many starting players were all out at the same time. And because we will need to integrate them all we won’t have a set starting line up for a good while yet.

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2021, 06:08:18 PM »
Unavailable for selection today:

Mings
McGinn
Traore
Bailey
Sanson
Trezeguet
Davis

Dougie is just back from the Olympics.
Added to which Konsa went off injured today

On the bench:
Chucky 17 - home debut
Philogene-Bidace - 19
Ramsey Junior - 18
Archer - 19

Injuries are having a serious affect on Smith's ability to pick a settled side and formation and for players to knit together into effective combinations.

The kids are probably being thrown on a bit earlier than planned  but long-term it should benefit them  although withva fully fit squad perhaps Archer and Aaron Ramsey would have been loaned out to continue their development - delayed until January now?

As others have said,xSmith has the international break to work on the team, hopefully the injury  list will decrease, we can welcome a proper defensive midfielder and an additional coach will join to help Smith and  Co at Bodymoor.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2021, 06:09:02 PM »

This. We did as well as to be expected. Actually thought they might Nick it but we were decent at the back. Didn’t see a chance by them in the 2nd half for all their possession. They’re half decent but given the amount of players out it’s a good result and had Mings been in that first goal would have been prevented. Ref was a bit wank.

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2021, 06:09:38 PM »
Some of the criticism / no pattern of play nonsense is ridiculous. The combination of injuries and lack of centre mid signings meant we had a 17 year old debutante and a 36 year old full back in centre mid today, against a side that have started well.

With our injuries to attacking players it’s surely unsurprising we didn’t rip them apart today?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2021, 06:10:56 PM »
Unsure what it means to be impatient in this regard. I'm not calling for him to be sacked or anything. I'm criticising something that I do think is perfectly within is remit to address. I hope he does address it, sincerely, but it's been a while now. Maybe that mooted new coach will be a catalyst, like it was for Ferguson several times.

That's my take on it, too.

Dean is frustrating as fuck, and the way certain weaknesses of ours persist unaddressed is concerning.

Criticising him doesn't mean you want him sacked, though.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2021, 06:14:06 PM »
Last season when they had loads of key injuries you could still see what Liverpool were trying to do. They were just not executing it as well. That's why the result today, against a very zealous Brentford, doesn't bother me.
But here's what does. Today, the midfield was makeshift. Last week however, it consisted of three players who've worked together, under Dean, for two and a bit years, and the play looked exactly as disjointed as today. That suggests a lack of plan.

Paulie - exactly, I'm not calling for him to be sacked. I want him to sort out this clear problem we have.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal