collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Brentford Post-Match Thread  (Read 19318 times)

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
Re: Aston Villa vs Brentford Post-Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2021, 05:29:06 PM »
I liked what I saw out of Buendia today. He is a rare combination of tenacity and technical poise. Today wasn’t anyone’s ideal XI, so I’m trying to see this as a point gained. I thought the backs played pretty well against the press.

Biggest shocker of the day.. the 4-4-2!

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2021, 05:29:14 PM »
Considering the starting 11 glad of the point.
7 shots all game from the home team not good enough.
Accepting absences today more incoming players are needed.
Maybe we can use the next few weeks to do what we should have been doing pre-season (a poor and disjointed build up to the 1st 3 games).
Anyway UTV!

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2021, 05:29:20 PM »
We were missing Mings, McGinn, Ramsey, Bailey and Watkins for most of it. When you take that into consideration we did OK.

That's how I saw it as well. Quite enjoyed it to be fair.

Offline supertom

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2021, 05:29:45 PM »
We're a couple of players short still. That's pretty clear. Missed McGinn today. I still don't know if Smith knows the best formation. We don't have that balance in the midfield 3 yet and the front three are too wide, leaving Ings isolated. We don't seem to have anyone who wants to dictate the game like you know who. Beundia is showing glimpses, and it was an excellent goal, but I'd like to see him playing far more centrally. I suspect we'll do that once we get Bailey and/or Traore back to provide that balance.

Targett was good today. Ashley has started three games on the spin, but he's clearly a gap filler. He's doing okay but we need our first choices in soon. I just think we're lacking a spark of someone who's between and 8 and 10 on the pitch, who can hold the ball and thread a pass. Beundia aside, no one else will do that.

Given all the injuries and some players still not 100% like Ollie and Beundia, I think we did okay to keep in the game. Brentford have started the season well and look sharp. They certainly did look fitter.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2021, 05:33:36 PM »
There was a moment towards the end where the Scouse co-commentator tried to sum things up. He said 'both teams have set their stall out for the season: Brentford, they keep the ball, they press aggressively; Aston Villa...well...they're trying to move into this post-Jack Grealish era now...erm..."

And that about sums it up for me. I know we had injuries, a draw isn't a bad result considering those. But what is our style of play? Can anyone actually tell me what our plan is? How do we attack, how do we press, how do we beat the opposition press, how do we move in the final third. We must be the team whose players spend the longest average time on the ball, because a player will just get it, everyone will run away from them, and they'll end up tapping it sideways or playing one of those shit slice-chips into the channels or up to well-known target man Danny Ings.

I don't think we want to be some sort of long-ball team. But we don't have any actual positional patterns, or movements, or strategies. We're aimless. And the period of play with the 2 up top - I know it was a disjointed end to the game, I know everyone goes long at the end anyone, but it's probably the least coherent passage of play I've seen from any team this season. Please, coaches, sort it out.

Sorry just don’t agree. How can possibly judge the style of play, formation etc when up to 6 players who would be expected to start or possibly start were out injured or ill. The squad depth that has been built, allowed  us to at least compete today. Apart from Man City and Chelsea, I can’t think of another team who wouldn’t struggle without 6 first teamers and that includes Man U and Liverpool.
On top of that we have 3 new players in the team today if you include Tuanzebe and a kid making his first start.

Four points from 9 not an ideal, but Jesus some perspective is needed. Let’s see what’s happening after 10 games with our main players back.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2021, 05:33:43 PM »
Considering the injuries which is pretty shocking now, I’m taking all the positives from that game that I can.

We played a very well drilled team and could have won. Watkins looked ace in his cameo. Emi had his best game and scored a beaut. AEG was a constant menace and also worked very hard. Targett looked the beast from last season after a nervy start. Martinez was solid. Axel was good. Nice debut from Chuck and Dougie played very well. Also Ings is so much better in a Villa shirt than the opposing teams.

Well done Villa boys, we’ve had a very tough time off the field up to now. We’re going to be just fine.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2021, 05:35:25 PM »
We were missing Mings, McGinn, Ramsey, Bailey and Watkins for most of it. When you take that into consideration we did OK.

+1. Given the absentees and disrupted preparation I thought we did OK. Entertaining game.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2021, 05:36:00 PM »

It was a good game of football from two teams trying to play it about. A good game I thought.

Offline steamer

« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2021, 05:36:08 PM »
Tough next three games after the break
Clear to everyone, I guess including the management we need some strengthening still
Do that and we might not be looking over our shoulder.
Can not see us higher than 7 or 8 even with a bit of strengthening, build on,youngsters coming through and not get scammed for the whatsis name money with some good scouting

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2021, 05:37:09 PM »
There was a moment towards the end where the Scouse co-commentator tried to sum things up. He said 'both teams have set their stall out for the season: Brentford, they keep the ball, they press aggressively; Aston Villa...well...they're trying to move into this post-Jack Grealish era now...erm..."

And that about sums it up for me. I know we had injuries, a draw isn't a bad result considering those. But what is our style of play? Can anyone actually tell me what our plan is? How do we attack, how do we press, how do we beat the opposition press, how do we move in the final third. We must be the team whose players spend the longest average time on the ball, because a player will just get it, everyone will run away from them, and they'll end up tapping it sideways or playing one of those shit slice-chips into the channels or up to well-known target man Danny Ings.

I don't think we want to be some sort of long-ball team. But we don't have any actual positional patterns, or movements, or strategies. We're aimless. And the period of play with the 2 up top - I know it was a disjointed end to the game, I know everyone goes long at the end anyone, but it's probably the least coherent passage of play I've seen from any team this season. Please, coaches, sort it out.

Sorry just don’t agree. How can possibly judge the style of play, formation etc when up to 6 players who would be expected to start or possibly start were out injured or ill. The squad depth that has been built, allowed  us to at least compete today. Apart from Man City and Chelsea, I can’t think of another team who wouldn’t struggle without 6 first teamers and that includes Man U and Liverpool.
On top of that we have 3 new players in the team today if you include Tuanzebe and a kid making his first start.

Four points from 9 not an ideal, but Jesus some perspective is needed. Let’s see what’s happening after 10 games with our main players back.

Because I've watched Dean Smith's Villa for a few years, and without Jack Grealish there isn't a plan for breaking teams down. If you read my post instead of just quoting it, you'll have seen that I don't think a point is a terrible result. My problem is the style - or rather, the lack thereof.

Everyone in a squad should know what the style of play is. He chose to put Young in midfield, to bring in Carney, rather than more experienced options like Hourihane and Nakamba, so he must have had some confidence they knew how we play. Yet does anyone? There's no evidence of it.

Offline LamBeast

• GM : Apr, 2013
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2021, 05:39:22 PM »
Just got back,take a point today considering our absentees,Brentford won’t get rolled over by many sides.

Buendia’ goal was a bit of magic!Its early days & plenty more to come from this Villa squad methinks… 🦁

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2021, 05:39:48 PM »
that's a game 2 seasons ago, when we first got promoted we would have lost.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2021, 05:44:00 PM »
Decent point considering the run we've got coming up.

We're going to need every point we can get.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2021, 05:47:20 PM »
We didn’t press at all well, the result being the game was played at Brentford’s pace for most of the game.

I agree we look a bit shapeless, hoping for something to happen rather than expecting and is been like that for all the games.

I think it will take half a season to get a new identity and pattern to our game so think we have a few tough weeks come.

Offline caster troy

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2021, 05:50:31 PM »
We had a weakened team but still must have had £150m+ of players available, at home vs a promoted side and we didn’t really create anything. Long balls to El Ghazi and chipping it into the corner and hoping for a throw in seemed to be our two main tactics which isn’t good enough.

Would like to have seen JPB on for Chuck with Buendia moved inside to try something different, bringing Nakamba on felt like Dean was happy with a point, which is disappointing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal