collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Brentford Post-Match Thread  (Read 19505 times)

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
Aston Villa vs Brentford Post-Match Thread
« on: August 28, 2021, 05:03:30 PM »
Frustrating.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 05:14:23 PM by Bad English »

Offline Hillbilly

Re: Aston Villa vs Brentford Post-Match Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 05:05:01 PM »
AEG and Luiz were the pick of the bunch. Ollie seemed to gee things up at the end.

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 05:05:18 PM »
Fair result I guess.
Plenty of learning points.

Squad depth better than last season, 3 starters missing, but the team wasn't too bad.
Chucky made his full debut and did quite well.
We STILL NEED A PROPER DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER.
A number of alternatives off the bench.
Ollie getting back to match fitness.
Hause - you can see why Tuanzebe was brought in.

Think the team is progressing but injuries/Covid buggering things up and Smith is still looking for his best starting XI and formation.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 05:05:36 PM »
Makeshift team so a bit of a disjointed performance. Positives were a lovely goal from emi^2 and thought el ghazi played well, as did Doug and Nakamba when he came on.

Carney needs more time as he's not ready for regular starts, hopefully that comes with time. Starting to get concerned with cash, he gets caught on the ball too often.

Really annoyed by konsa's injury, shouldn't have risked it and we don't seem to have learned from the trezeguet situation.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 05:07:16 PM by Ger Regan »

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 05:06:08 PM »
Watkins made quite an impression once he got into it. Probably should have come on sooner. Frustrating but happy enough with how we are shaping up with good players to come back.

Need a centre-mid obvs.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2021, 05:06:59 PM »
Meh.

Been said by many people already but we're always going to make things harder for ourselves if we insist on ceding midfield from the start.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2021, 05:07:09 PM »
Fair result given the absences. Chuwuemeka did OK but then the game seemed to pass him by later on. Ings is a passenger a lot of the time. Buendia had his best game.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2021, 05:07:25 PM »
Not good enough, we needed a good win backed by a confident solid performance, we got neither, all 3 points today was a must, games coming up could leave us in some difficulty playing like this, still need to be very active in the transfer window.

Offline ez

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2021, 05:08:44 PM »
That was a struggle. We're not looking much like top four material at the moment. Thankfully we scored soon after them because we looked unlikely to score after that.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 05:09:58 PM »
Only saw second half but thought Cash was dreadful. Sunday league defending when one on one, getting caught under the ball etc...Luiz anonymous I thought. Buendia, AEG and Targett were best. Might not be the worst point with all the unavailable players. Watkins looked sharp when he came in.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 05:10:15 PM »
We're boring as fuck to watch and we have been in all 3 games so far this season. Slow ponderous build up around midfield and the back until we inevitably launch it up one of the flanks for somebody to chase.

I haven't enjoyed watching any of our League games so far this season.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 05:15:22 PM by LukeJames »

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2021, 05:10:36 PM »
European tour?  Not on that evidence.

Our haphazard preseason really is showing at the moment.  We don't have any identity or apparent gameplay.  The international break has come at tbd right time.  Get some of these players fit and working together.

And please reconsider our transfer business being over Villa.  We're criminally short in the middle of the park.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 05:11:15 PM »
There was a moment towards the end where the Scouse co-commentator tried to sum things up. He said 'both teams have set their stall out for the season: Brentford, they keep the ball, they press aggressively; Aston Villa...well...they're trying to move into this post-Jack Grealish era now...erm..."

And that about sums it up for me. I know we had injuries, a draw isn't a bad result considering those. But what is our style of play? Can anyone actually tell me what our plan is? How do we attack, how do we press, how do we beat the opposition press, how do we move in the final third. We must be the team whose players spend the longest average time on the ball, because a player will just get it, everyone will run away from them, and they'll end up tapping it sideways or playing one of those shit slice-chips into the channels or up to well-known target man Danny Ings.

I don't think we want to be some sort of long-ball team. But we don't have any actual positional patterns, or movements, or strategies. We're aimless. And the period of play with the 2 up top - I know it was a disjointed end to the game, I know everyone goes long at the end anyone, but it's probably the least coherent passage of play I've seen from any team this season. Please, coaches, sort it out.

Online Villan82

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2021, 05:12:18 PM »
I don't know what it is but something at villa hasn't seemed right since after the Euros. We signed Buendia in a blaze of glory and then the Judas situation and a really shambolic pre-season unfolded capped off by two coaches departing. It all feels like a real test.

The injuries/Covid situation with key players are absolutely sickening.

It all feels disjointed at the moment and we can't build any momentum.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 05:13:49 PM by Villan82 »

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2021, 05:13:23 PM »
Shit performance
Shit formation
Injuries granted
4 points from 2 promoted teams and Newcastle

looking at the upcoming games we're gonna have to play like we're this Europe chasing team or it could look a bit bleak come October.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal