collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Austin MacPhee  (Read 58198 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Austin MacPhee
« Reply #405 on: February 14, 2022, 12:55:07 PM »
The wall looked really bad, there was no left footer near the ball but it looked as though it was set up to prevent a left footer curling it from about 20 yards further out. Woeful.

We did have that decent atacking set piece where it was worked for McGinn to hit it from the edge of the box and it was deflected just wide

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #406 on: April 26, 2023, 01:49:56 PM »
Aston Villa have learned to love set pieces – and the man who devises them
Tuesday April 25, 2023.
By Gregg Evans - The Athletic

Before Unai Emery arrived at Aston Villa, he had done his background checks on their set-piece coach Austin MacPhee.

In the week between agreeing to leave Villarreal for another crack at the Premier League and taking training for the first time, former Arsenal manager Emery assessed MacPhee’s work with Villa and Scotland, and his spells at Danish side Midtjylland and Northern Ireland too.

It was not a standalone research project. The Spaniard wanted to know about every player he was inheriting from Steven Gerrard, as well as other staff members. Then, when Emery began work officially on November 1, he effectively put them all on trial — a clean slate for everyone.

After receiving positive feedback and seeing how thorough MacPhee was in his approach, it wasn’t long before the 43-year-old was handed greater responsibility.

His role under Gerrard had become slightly diminished. Set-piece training was not aligned in the way it is now. Emery, however, recognises the importance of every facet of the game and while additional time is now set aside to work on new attacking routines and sharpen up in defence, the key change is the head coach’s authoritative voice. Rather than leaving MacPhee to talk through the plans, Emery gets heavily involved to reaffirm the expert’s message.

There’s greater buy-in from the players, too. Douglas Luiz and John McGinn spend extra time working on their deliveries while others do walk-through routines in preparation for using those moves in games.

Each player knows his role, from acting as a blocker to making a fake run, or being the main target when on the attack.

MacPhee is also granted the freedom to instruct from the technical area on a matchday when Villa attack or defend set pieces. All of Emery’s other assistants remain on the bench as observers, leaving the head coach to set the tone.

His message to the players is that if they put in the work with MacPhee between games, they will be better equipped and stand a greater chance of scoring more often when matchday comes.

That the winning goal against Fulham on Tuesday came from a first-half corner highlighted as much.

It was a move straight off the training ground. McGinn’s job was to send a delivery to the near post for Tyrone Mings, Villa’s tallest and most aerial dominant player, to attack.

McGinn said: “To be fair to Austin, we have been working on the front area, trying to get the ball to Tyrone. I kicked the first two corners too long but managed to get that one right, so we’re happy.”

Mings, laughing, said: “The manager has been telling me that if I don’t score then he’s going to drop me!”

Emery added, “I am pushing him, telling him, ‘You are a tall player and we have to use you. You have to believe in yourself. You have to do it!’.”

Villa also have plenty more ideas to turn to if plan A isn’t working. The set-piece taker uses hand signals to remind players of the plan and initiate whether to go long or short. Villa have become more creative  at attacking corners and set pieces, as explained further in this article.

“We do a lot of set-piece work on a Thursday and Friday,” midfielder Jacob Ramsey says. “We’re showing that we’re good at them. The boss has got loads of experience. Him and Austin are working hard together, showing they both have different ideas.”

Villa are also shooting up the rankings. Of their 46 league goals this season, more than a quarter (26 per cent) have been from set pieces. They have scored in all 22 games under Emery and have set a record — currently at 20 — for scoring in consecutive Premier League games under a new manager.

It’s the defensive side of the game that is perhaps the most impressive, though.

Villa have won the last five home games in a row — all without allowing a goal. During their 10-game unbeaten run (eight wins, two draws), they’ve only conceded twice from open play.

In the fifth of those 10 matches, Villa went to Chelsea and defended like warriors during an onslaught at their goal. Rarely did they look like conceding, even when facing 13 corners at Stamford Bridge. It was the same against Newcastle in the 3-0 win 11 days ago. Villa prevented the side who win the Premier League’s most corners and have the highest expected goals at set pieces from scoring.

Efforts have also been made to reduce the number of corners conceded, with Emery recognising the importance of volume when analysing the numbers.

Statistics still show that 39 per cent of the goals scored against Villa are from set pieces (including penalties) but in recent months there’s been a huge improvement, largely in terms of organisation.

Emiliano Martinez plays a big part in this, because he’s so dominant in his penalty area. No goalkeeper in the Premier League has recorded more catches (46) and that’s particularly useful because overall Villa have the shortest team in the division. In the closing stages of last night’s win, Martinez came out to collect a cross in commanding style to relieve the pressure.

Minutes later, the back line were high fiving each other to celebrate an offside that further ran down the clock. It isn’t just set pieces where Villa are now so strong, it’s across the board and they’re worthy of their fifth position in the table, even if the teams above and below them have games in hand.

Emery’s ability to squeeze “an extra five or 10 per cent” out of people around him at the club is the key to this charge to within touching distance of qualifying for Europe.

MacPhee was not so much underperforming under Gerrard, but was perhaps undervalued. Now he’s a vital part of the grand plan and nights like this one show his worth.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #407 on: April 26, 2023, 02:07:56 PM »
It always concerns me how aggressive we are defending corners, so much pushing and shoving leading up to the kick being taken. I just hope we continue to get away with it.

Offline Richard

• GM : 08.06.2024
« Reply #408 on: April 26, 2023, 02:14:41 PM »
It always concerns me how aggressive we are defending corners, so much pushing and shoving leading up to the kick being taken. I just hope we continue to get away with it.

Everyone does this don't they?

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #409 on: April 26, 2023, 04:20:53 PM »
I lost faith at "as explained further in this article".

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #410 on: April 26, 2023, 04:27:48 PM »
I've noticed recently that MacPhee has been more active on the touchline at games (I commented on the AVvsNU post-match thread how he had effectively man-marked Tindall when he was trying to unsettle the 4th official).

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #411 on: April 26, 2023, 04:31:59 PM »
He got a lot of abuse from Villa fans and many wanted him out but every manager wanted him part of the coaching team and I'm very pleased he has proved us all wrong . He is VERY involved throughout the game and you can see his contributions

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #412 on: April 26, 2023, 05:01:19 PM »

I'm sure if you had a pint with Gregg you'd bond over something . C'mon, he's a gentle soul.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #413 on: April 26, 2023, 05:13:35 PM »

No, otherwise I wouldn't be concerned. It's a this season thing, we're almost wrestling with opposition players, holding, pushing and shoving inside the box. I'm just waiting for the ref to give them a penalty and you know when and where it will happen. Next game is..

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #414 on: April 26, 2023, 05:19:32 PM »

I'm sure if you had a pint with Gregg you'd bond over something . C'mon, he's a gentle soul.

I'm sure Greg(g) is a lovely man, and he's welcome to buy me a pint anytime.

Offline danno

« Reply #415 on: April 26, 2023, 05:40:34 PM »

No, otherwise I wouldn't be concerned. It's a this season thing, we're almost wrestling with opposition players, holding, pushing and shoving inside the box. I'm just waiting for the ref to give them a penalty and you know when and where it will happen. Next game is..

Come off it Rudy, that lot will get a penalty if someone in the away end sneezes too loud.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #416 on: April 26, 2023, 05:44:06 PM »

Come off it Rudy, that lot will get a penalty if someone in the away end sneezes too loud.

True but I'm more concerned the assistant referee on Sunday, Constantine Hatzidakis will kick five shades out of Watkins.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #417 on: April 26, 2023, 05:45:45 PM »
I'm guessing  that McPhee is a details man just as Emery  is. It's hardly a surprise  that they should  get on so well.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #418 on: April 26, 2023, 07:08:18 PM »
I'm guessing  that McPhee is a details man just as Emery  is. It's hardly a surprise  that they should  get on so well.

I'm sure they both agree that the little details can make all the difference. ;)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #419 on: April 26, 2023, 07:24:53 PM »
He got a lot of abuse from Villa fans and many wanted him out but every manager wanted him part of the coaching team and I'm very pleased he has proved us all wrong . He is VERY involved throughout the game and you can see his contributions

He’s certainly had his fair share as did a few others in the playing side. They all deserve huge credit as well now. I must admit I was concerned with MacPhee towards the end of Smith’s days and was surprised Gerrard kept him on and even more surprised when Emery did.

He’s definitely doing a grand job now. Fair play.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal