collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Leon Bailey - signed  (Read 316753 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Leon Bailey - signed
« Reply #1395 on: July 27, 2022, 02:19:57 PM »
There’s a big difference between “he looks shit (currently)” and “he is shit (and always will be)”.

True but lots of people have, over many years, stated the latter and then claimed they meant the former when a player turned things around.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1396 on: July 28, 2022, 08:11:37 AM »
What are we supposed to do when watching players just lie about their performance
This writing off players is a load of bollocks no one does it really we just tell the truth when someone’s not playing well

When Buendia first came he looked off the pace no touch and he was a bit rubbish for what was at that time our record signing we quite rightly felt a bit deflated, that’s the truth it’s not writing him off it’s just telling the truth
Everyone wanted him to up his game and start performing like the player we thought we’d signed which he did and has done he is now one of the best in the squad
Still doesn’t change the fact he took a while to settle in and while he did he wasn’t looking very good, that’s it There’s no point in being scared to say it it’s a bloody football forum

I think you’re being very generous to some with that comment, John
Some guy’s comments were so over the top, they were not just deflated, but full on tyres slashed.
Although it does happen, it’s not often players arrive and hit the ground running.

I’m probably the other end of the scale by being over generous to the players.
I’m of the opinion that they’re not perfect, mistakes happen and sometimes you have to credit the opposition for forcing the error.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1397 on: July 28, 2022, 04:10:32 PM »
It's all too easy to forget that 'form' is a thing.  And players dip in and out of it.  It can be related to fitness, their mental state, a tweak in tactics to get the best out of them, their home life, anything really - but the reality is players do not - ever - play at the precise same level week in week out, month in month out.

A player is rarely very well-defined by their performances based on half a dozen games (unless they are demonstrably out of their depth).   As with all our signings, I often look for signs they are capable of doing good and great things on the pitch (even if they're not delivering them regularly) - then it's hopefully just a case of the coaching staff getting them to do it more often.  Bailey has shown (albeit brief) glimpses of what he's capable of, and now hopefully we'll see this on a more regular basis.

I'm certainly excited to see him running full speed at tired defences this season...

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1398 on: August 03, 2022, 10:28:06 PM »
I've advocated for him to be in the starting 11 on best 11 selected.
My reason was part for his pace and different to anything we have.
His pre-season form has only added to that. Gerrrad comments have been encouraging.
This season Leon Bailey has a chance to make a significant impact.
His pace is critical to our team. And he will get goals and provide
He has technical ability to play left or right side in a front 3 wide position, as well as his skill and ability to dribble past players, the one to excite us all.
We have a superstar on our hands, and I believe he can be thrilling.

LB is capable of hitting double figures in goals and assists this season providing he given opportunity and stays injury free.

Online UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1399 on: August 05, 2022, 01:28:58 PM »

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1401 on: August 05, 2022, 03:23:17 PM »
I don't play Fantasy Football, but I have a few friends who do, and in their discussions on social media I've been genuinely surprised at how many teams seem to have Bailey included.  These aren't Villa fans, just people who tend to watch a lot of football.  Maybe the buzz about his pre-season is extending beyond Bodymoor and Villa Park?  I'm guessing his goal against Man Utd will have been seen by quite a few...

Very excited to see a fit and flying Bailey this season!

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #1402 on: August 05, 2022, 03:35:32 PM »
I don't play Fantasy Football, but I have a few friends who do, and in their discussions on social media I've been genuinely surprised at how many teams seem to have Bailey included.  These aren't Villa fans, just people who tend to watch a lot of football.  Maybe the buzz about his pre-season is extending beyond Bodymoor and Villa Park?  I'm guessing his goal against Man Utd will have been seen by quite a few...

I’ve put him in my team, he’s a bargain at £5m, so have a number of others in our league but then we are all Villa season ticket holders.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 03:46:25 PM by Chris Smith »

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1403 on: August 05, 2022, 03:39:03 PM »

I’ve put him in my team, he’s a bargain at £5m, sohave a number of others in our league but then we are all Villa season ticket holders.

Yep, in midfield if you can get 1-2 for 5-6m you give yourself a lot more room for a couple of big names so he's a very enticing option. If you look into any of the 'experts' on youtube, etc they're all talking about him.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1404 on: August 05, 2022, 03:53:10 PM »
Whenever I see his thread bumped a day before a game, I always assume he is injured.

Offline ventnorVillain

« Reply #1405 on: August 05, 2022, 03:55:29 PM »
Whenever I see his thread bumped a day before a game, I always assume he is injured.

This is exactly what I think, too.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1406 on: August 05, 2022, 03:57:47 PM »
Is he going to start tomorrow ?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1407 on: August 05, 2022, 04:09:41 PM »
Is he going to start tomorrow ?

Don't see why he wouldn't.

Gerrard said before the Rennes game that if the season were starting the next day he'd be in the team, and he then played well and scored against Rennes.

So it would be a bit odd if he didn't .

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1408 on: August 05, 2022, 04:12:24 PM »
I think he brings some desperately needed pace to the team and will play most games so long as he's fit.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #1409 on: August 05, 2022, 04:42:49 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal