collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:38:25 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:32:58 AM]

Brian Evans by maidstonevillain
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Jacob Ramsey by AV84
[Today at 12:12:05 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 12:04:41 AM]

Matty Cash - Polish international by PeterWithe
[Today at 12:03:00 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:02:34 AM]

Press-ing on triumphantly by dave.woodhall
[April 18, 2024, 11:47:47 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Reserves and Academy 2021/22  (Read 121733 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Reserves and Academy 2021/22
« Reply #870 on: March 23, 2022, 05:39:48 PM »
Cam definitely has.

Offline nigel

« Reply #871 on: March 23, 2022, 09:05:29 PM »
If Gerrard thinks another season on loan for Cam. I wonder if a season in Germany would benefit Cam, or another season at Preston?

As for Carney, if he decides he wants to go I’d certainly be looking at a big sell on clause.

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #872 on: March 24, 2022, 05:35:19 AM »
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1585125/Aston-Villa-Bundesliga-interest-Cameron-Archer-Carney-Chukwuemeka?s=08
just ask chukwuemeka or his agent will he be signing a new contract before next season,if not we all move on and let someone else take his place on the bench

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #873 on: March 24, 2022, 09:36:25 AM »
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1585125/Aston-Villa-Bundesliga-interest-Cameron-Archer-Carney-Chukwuemeka?s=08
just ask chukwuemeka or his agent will he be signing a new contract before next season,if not we all move on and let someone else take his place on the bench

I agree - we were held to ransom over one greedy twat - lets sort this quickly

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #874 on: March 24, 2022, 06:57:27 PM »
There's a lot of people seem to want to cut our nose off to spite our face. Just because he hasn't signed a contract doesn't mean he won't. He may well decide to sign in the end but his agent has him playing brinkmanship. It's part of football now.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #875 on: March 24, 2022, 07:08:10 PM »
There's a lot of people seem to want to cut our nose off to spite our face. Just because he hasn't signed a contract doesn't mean he won't. He may well decide to sign in the end but his agent has him playing brinkmanship. It's part of football now.

Totally agree, I've made a similar point wrt the 'delay' before. Ideally needs to be sorted before next season though.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #876 on: March 25, 2022, 11:10:31 AM »

That's certainly one consideration, but we also need to be careful to strike the right note here. We don't want to be seen to be acting unfairly with him, but also given the number of other promising kids we have, we also can't be too soft with him and his agent otherwise the others might start acting up. He's young, he's promising and he's had good exposure in the first team, probably more than his displays have warranted so far.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #877 on: March 25, 2022, 09:20:57 PM »

That's certainly one consideration, but we also need to be careful to strike the right note here. We don't want to be seen to be acting unfairly with him, but also given the number of other promising kids we have, we also can't be too soft with him and his agent otherwise the others might start acting up. He's young, he's promising and he's had good exposure in the first team, probably more than his displays have warranted so far.
A good summary of the Carney conundrum,we have to look at the wider picture.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #878 on: March 30, 2022, 12:11:33 AM »
Being strongly linked with 16 year old Rangers striker Rory Wilson with their fans seemingly resigned to him leaving.
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/rory-wilson-close-rangers-exit-26571720

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #879 on: April 01, 2022, 07:54:14 PM »
2-1 down to Stoke at VP tonight. But lovely goal by Indy Vassilev. Back from his spell in the US

https://twitter.com/academyavfc/status/1509963141224013840?s=21&t=mpmPTT4R_KZnERJG5vIC1Q

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #880 on: April 02, 2022, 02:15:26 AM »
Another truly shocking penalty award for the first goal!

Some good performances and link play from some of the youngsters despite the harsh scoreline. Some shooting practice needed before the next match.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #881 on: April 12, 2022, 07:14:37 PM »

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #882 on: April 14, 2022, 12:19:55 PM »
Cheers, OCD, good interview. He articulates well.

This bit had me thinking whether we should look to send our more cultured/flair young players on-loan to leagues more in-keeping with their style of play (are the German/Dutch/Belgian second tiers for example, more technique-based than League One clod-hoppers?).

"One week you go and play MK Dons and you won't have much of the ball and they bop it, then next week you are playing an Accrington Stanley and it's going to be different. When I've been playing under-23s you don't get much of that and even in the Premier League you don't get much of that.

"I've never really experienced this type of football so I am still learning how to get the best out of myself. I want the ball into my feet but in some games with just the way games are it's very hard to demand from players to give the ball into feet because the game is just not that kind of game. Since I've been here there haven't been many games where that's been able to happen but we've been getting the three points."

And imagine this...
Sporting excellence runs in the Ramsey family. His older brother, Jacob, is also in the first team at Villa, while his younger brother, Cole, is a member of Villa's academy in the under-14s squad.

His father, Mark, meanwhile took on a whole different career in professional sport having had over 60 fights as a professional boxer, which included two fights with legendary British boxer Ricky Hatton.

"Dad tried to get us into boxing but it wasn't for us," Ramsey continued. "We still go for fitness and because of what it teaches you with resilience. Our dad wouldn't let us stop pushing and when we set our target it was one thing and he made sure we did it. It has always been that way since.

"My dad used to play football until he broke his leg, and then he started focusing on boxing.

"Cole is in the under-14s. He is doing well. At that age it's a case of going out and playing and enjoying it at that age. I keep telling him to enjoy it because I look back and I think I miss playing at that age because there's no stress whatsoever. You just go out with a ball and play with a smile on your face. Hopefully one day all three of us will be in the midfield at Villa."

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #883 on: April 14, 2022, 01:59:58 PM »
No problem.

Going abroad could be an option. It's not done any harm for some. Mason Mount is one that went abroad and then had a season at Derby and adapted really well. You see some of these kids play abroad and then go through the same adaptation period that foreign players go through (Jaden Sancho). So a good, technical player could benefit from experience abroad but may need a season in the Championship before we could integrate them into the first team squad.

Well, Jacob's come on leaps and bounds this year. Aaron has captained England at youth levels and was talked of as being better than Jacob until Jacob matured into the player he's been this season. Cole is talked of highly by coaches I know. While there's a long way to go and a lot can happen (even more so with Cole as he's 14), you have to say there's potential for all 3. It's highly unlikely that we'll have a midfield 3 of Ramsey, Ramsey and Ramsey but you couldn't say they can't all have a career in the game.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #884 on: April 14, 2022, 03:56:41 PM »
No problem.

Going abroad could be an option. It's not done any harm for some. Mason Mount is one that went abroad and then had a season at Derby and adapted really well. You see some of these kids play abroad and then go through the same adaptation period that foreign players go through (Jaden Sancho). So a good, technical player could benefit from experience abroad but may need a season in the Championship before we could integrate them into the first team squad.

Well, Jacob's come on leaps and bounds this year. Aaron has captained England at youth levels and was talked of as being better than Jacob until Jacob matured into the player he's been this season. Cole is talked of highly by coaches I know. While there's a long way to go and a lot can happen (even more so with Cole as he's 14), you have to say there's potential for all 3. It's highly unlikely that we'll have a midfield 3 of Ramsey, Ramsey and Ramsey but you couldn't say they can't all have a career in the game.

I think Sancho is a near perfect example of the pitfalls of it, he was a promising youngster who went to germany and made a name for himself as a top player then came back to the premier league and looks totally unprepared for the pace and aggression in English football. I agree that, for most technical players, you need a bit of both, half a season abroad and another half in the championship when they're about 19 would be perfect, especially if they've already had a few games on the bench with the first team and seen how senior training works.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal