collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by cdward
[Today at 03:31:31 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 03:30:50 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 03:18:52 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Reserves and Academy 2021/22  (Read 120630 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Reserves and Academy 2021/22
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2021, 05:05:58 PM »
They can't be, if they're under-18, except within the EU/EEA.

I was thinking of us signing players like Bogarde and Swinkels last summer, I like the look of thme and I'm very happy that they're here but I'm not entirely comfortable with it, 18 is where I think the line should be drawn on ALL international moves. I find the amount of South Americans that have moved to Spain and Portugal over the years particularly bad and I'm glad steps have been taken against that.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2021, 05:07:55 PM »
It's when you read things like a kid joining Man United because United have bought a new house for his parents where it highlights a distasteful side to it. There is a certain amount of commodification about it.

Offline OCD

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2021, 05:40:33 PM »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2021, 05:42:38 PM »

I was thinking of us signing players like Bogarde and Swinkels last summer, I like the look of thme and I'm very happy that they're here but I'm not entirely comfortable with it, 18 is where I think the line should be drawn on ALL international moves. I find the amount of South Americans that have moved to Spain and Portugal over the years particularly bad and I'm glad steps have been taken against that.

18 is where the line is drawn on all international transfers. EU freedom of movement trumps FIFA regulations, though. We were able to sign them last year because, although we had technically left the EU, we were still in the transitional period and subject to those laws.

Online dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2021, 05:56:45 PM »
Burchall is very talented. Bournemouth are only a Cat 3 academy, but lots of clubs were after him.

Offline OCD

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2021, 06:03:17 PM »
Our academy is really beginning to develop into something that's going to have a very strong reputation - https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/july/Ten-new-scholars-sign-for-Villa/.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2021, 06:04:33 PM »
God knows what we are doing but the kids seem to want to come here now which is fantastic. Having just read Sir Brian’s book I don’t think we’ve ever had a youth set up like this. The Sky six must be wondering what the hell is going on.  Bring it on!

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2021, 06:10:11 PM »
Burchall is very talented. Bournemouth are only a Cat 3 academy, but lots of clubs were after him.

Great news (as long as he's not related to Julie).

Offline jwarry

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2021, 06:20:05 PM »

Great news (as long as he's not related to Julie).

What was wrong with Julie?!?

Offline OCD

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2021, 07:05:36 PM »
I wonder whether the owners have ambitions for our youth academy to be talked of alongside those of Barcelona and Ajax.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2021, 07:25:59 PM »

18 is where the line is drawn on all international transfers. EU freedom of movement trumps FIFA regulations, though. We were able to sign them last year because, although we had technically left the EU, we were still in the transitional period and subject to those laws.

I know (bold bit).

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2021, 08:07:08 PM »
If people don't fancy the s*n link, here's another from February https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/sport/19103834.arsenal-reportedly-lead-transfer-chase-ajani-burchall/
Although it must be said that it looks like we'd ousted them in April as favourites to land the kid.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2021, 08:35:32 PM »
If there are 2 million more Europeans in the UK than was first thought and all of whom appear to be applying for settled status, who is going home in such numbers to account for the large number of vacancies in certain industries?

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2021, 02:44:50 PM »
I wonder whether the owners have ambitions for our youth academy to be talked of alongside those of Barcelona and Ajax.

Villa are really going for it at all levels within the academy. The set up at Bodymoor is very impressive, not just the players facilities but the attention to detail. Parents have lounges with workstations and Wifi allowing them to work whilst waiting for the kids to finish training, viewing galleries over looking the 4G and the show pitch. Complementary food is on offer as the parent maybe be waiting from 5pm until gone 8pm three evenings a week. They have one such building which has just opened, and Purslow apparently visited it, deemed it too small so another is to be built next door. Locally, no club is anywhere near Villa's facilities.

Little touches like this make a huge difference and help attract kids to sign. Facilities though do need filling, the academy staffing apparently has tripled in the last two years at BH, giving players more attention. Other clubs like Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea have amazing training facilities (arguably better than BH) , but unless you have got the staff and the players, it's pointless.

Player-wise the approach seems straight forward. Sign the best players we can locally and source the best players around the country and beyond. The more we get in, the more chance we have of unearthing another gem or two. If they don't make it at Villa, they still may have a worth (£) as I said 'commodities'. The lads are sold a project by Mark Harrison and Steve Hopcroft and the physical set up at Bodymoor helps sell the club as well as top coaching. I believe players like Bogarde and Swinkels were hooked in by the club and the attention to detail.

What is clear, is that the owners are backing the academy; new facility near VP, staff, better facilities at Bodymoor etc. Last year Villa U18 had what amounts to an 'A' team with Barry, Young, Swinkels, Kessler et al, and a 'B' team for run of the mill U18 league games. The former bolster the U23s when needed and therefore a pathway and progression is clear. Another point is young lads see Chuck, Louis, Kessler, Ramsay in and around the first team, so reinforcing the point that a pathway is there.

What all of this needs is...money, lots of money. Some clubs have it, most don't. We do and we are spending it correctly.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2021, 03:21:46 PM »
God knows what we are doing but the kids seem to want to come here now which is fantastic. Having just read Sir Brian’s book I don’t think we’ve ever had a youth set up like this. The Sky six must be wondering what the hell is going on.  Bring it on!

In an indirect way, are we doing it by buying fancy new houses for them and their parents?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal