collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ten years today - TSM1 arrives  (Read 3368 times)

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
Re: Ten years today - TSM1 arrives
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2021, 04:26:43 AM »
One of the big milestones in our demise. Add to that:

Bradford
Benteke and Delph leaving
Garde
Tony emoji
3-0 Preston

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2021, 12:00:12 AM »
3-0 Preston?

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2021, 06:34:34 PM »
Start of our comeback that was in my view.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2021, 08:52:02 AM »
Do you mean the 3-3 with Preston? I don't think there was a 3-0. There were some 2-0 results, either way
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 08:54:03 AM by Villan82 »

Offline ez

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2021, 06:23:10 PM »
Hard to imagine replacing a high achieving manager like Houllier with the relegated small heath manager. The mind still boggles.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2021, 09:08:53 PM »
We've had four 3-0 defeats against Preston in our history. Scottish manager every time !

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2021, 09:09:28 PM »
Hard to imagine replacing a high achieving manager like Houllier with the relegated small heath manager. The mind still boggles.

I was relatively optimistic, I must say. Obviously I was wrong!

I never warmed to Houllier, I never felt his heart was in it (no pun intended). I don't watch PL football unless Villa are involved, so I wasn't too aware of his eye-bleeding style of play, I just saw a bloke who'd managed to win a trophy with a Blues club, who went on to be relegated precisely because they were Blues, and thought 'if he cares, he'll be an upgrade'.

I was complacent, and actually thought SHA would be annoyed that we'd stolen their manager. The fact my SHA-supporting mate sent me a message as soon as it was confirmed which simply read 'HAHAHAHAHA' began to raise concerns. That said, it was a surprise and a disappointment quite how unutterably dreadful that year actually was - not to mention the subsequent five.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2021, 09:11:22 PM »

I was relatively optimistic, I must say. Obviously I was wrong!

I never warmed to Houllier, I never felt his heart was in it (no pun intended). I don't watch PL football unless Villa are involved, so I wasn't too aware of his eye-bleeding style of play, I just saw a bloke who'd managed to win a trophy with a Blues club, who went on to be relegated precisely because they were Blues, and thought 'if he cares, he'll be an upgrade'.

I was complacent, and actually thought SHA would be annoyed that we'd stolen their manager. The fact my SHA-supporting mate sent me a message as soon as it was confirmed which simply read 'HAHAHAHAHA' began to raise concerns. That said, it was a surprise and a disappointment quite how unutterably dreadful that year actually was - not to mention the subsequent five.

So the word filter changes 'd0gsh1t' to 'Blues' eh? Nice.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2021, 12:44:28 AM »
I think it’s the 2-0 against Preston when Di Matteo got the chop.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2021, 10:16:37 AM »
Ten years on and the only plausible reaction remains what the actual fuck did we do that for?

Didn't Alex McLeish get a glowing reference from Alex Ferguson which impressed Randy?

The General's "imagine what a manager like McLeish could do with Randy's backing!!!!1111" was the surest sign ever that things probably weren't going to go very well under Lerner from then.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2021, 10:32:05 AM »
The day before the dreadful announcement was made I was waiting at the roundabout near Wing Yip Cash & Carry heading towards  Aston when I spotted an XJ coming from the opposite direction. I didn't see the person driving but did recognise the car as similar to the one parked outside their main entrance in the "team Manager"  space when I had been there on a prawn sandwich visit that season. A shiver ran through me  realising that speculation may be true. Not sure if he had been to Villa Park or even if he was in town but it was very close for comfort. I had a very bad day that day and of course even worse followed.
HOW COULD WE? Nothing personal against the man as I met him at BMH in the season that followed and he was a brilliant host but how could we?

Offline Villan82

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2021, 01:09:04 PM »
One of our worst ever summers. N'Zogbia was his big signing! Followed by a dull season in which we survived by the skin of our teeth playing defensive football.

Also, the attendances dropped dramatically- they screwed up. Massively.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2021, 10:49:11 AM »
Sorry, 2-0 preston when di matteo was sacked.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2021, 11:35:35 AM »
I was having a sarnie in the M&S car park over in Northern Ireland, telling my brother to calm down as it was all clearly bullshit when the news was confirmed, think I was shock the rest of the day

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal