collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Crystal Palace vs Aston Villa Pre match thread by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:50:29 AM]

VAR by Monty
[Today at 09:47:30 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Clampy
[Today at 09:47:04 AM]

Golf 2024 by Villa Lew
[Today at 09:43:32 AM]

Boxing 2024 by Gareth
[Today at 09:37:33 AM]

Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome by FatSam
[Today at 09:32:11 AM]

FFP by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:26:44 AM]

Kits 23/24 by Drummond
[Today at 09:20:00 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: FFP  (Read 156112 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: FFP
« Reply #945 on: March 01, 2024, 11:07:52 AM »
i dent see the point in worrying about the summer until we complete the season.
Our final league position will determine our transfer activity.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #946 on: March 01, 2024, 11:13:20 AM »
Also, and I hope this doesnít come to pass, I rate JJ and think heís great (completely proved me wrong in my initial view on him) but if push came to shove I count 6 (off the top of my head) players Iíd rather keep. Thatís also considering likely value, benefit in terms of P&S as well. Hope it doesnít come to that of course!

Are you mad? He's the last player I'd sell!
I'd sell him before Martinez, Luiz, Torres and Ollie.  Probably McGinn & Kamara too.

Obviously I'd prefer to keep him as he may turn out to be superb for us, but so far he's not been consistent enough for long enough for me to want to retain him over any of that lot.

Offline dekko

« Reply #947 on: March 01, 2024, 11:20:29 AM »
Honestly, I think there was a lot of interpreting of what Ornstein said. All he said was that clubs are under more FFP pressure than before, and that other teams were interested in Ramsey. I don't know how either of these facts add up to 'ORNSTEIN PREDICTS VILLA FIRE SALE', or 'NEWCASTLE IN RAMSEY SWOOP' or whatever.

Thats my view on it too.

I don't think the evidence we have available points to some kind of financial crisis, but at the same time we've been spending decent money on transfer fees and wages for a number of years now, and not bringing in vast amounts aside from Grealish.  I'd be very surprised if we don't make 1 major sale this summer, and my money is on it being (my favourite player) Doug.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #948 on: March 01, 2024, 11:20:48 AM »
Would be unlike The Athletic not to be spot on.

As you keep on mentioning this, it is one reporter who is not normally AV news, and the Atlantic's other reporter who mainly deals with Villa also mentioned he might not be right. So if the Atlantic is always wrong, and the reporters have said yes and no........

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #949 on: March 01, 2024, 11:24:24 AM »
Ramsey's probably in the conversation in current form, but he looked like he was kicking onto another level at the end of last season. If he became that player, it would be a mistake as his value would only increase.

I hope we don't need to sell anyone that we don't want to, but if we had to, presumably we could get best part of £100m for Dougie. That could solve any issue for the next few seasons, and I would hope that we would be able to find an adequate replacement for that, and one or two more to make the overall team better. 

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #950 on: March 01, 2024, 11:25:21 AM »
I still am confused by the June point, a sale can be agreed but canít go through until July can it? How would we be selling by June anyway?

Online VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #951 on: March 01, 2024, 11:32:48 AM »
the accounts will be out in the next week so we'll have a better idea then

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #952 on: March 01, 2024, 11:38:43 AM »
Taking age and potential into account I think there's only Luiz, Torres and Kamara I'd choose to keep over Ramsey. We have a lot of very good players int he squad right now but a fair few of them are in, or close to, their 30s now so I'd not want to sell any of the younger players if we can hlep it, they'll need to be at the heart of a new first 11 in a few years so we'd just be creating problems for us down the line.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #953 on: March 01, 2024, 11:44:01 AM »
I still am confused by the June point, a sale can be agreed but canít go through until July can it? How would we be selling by June anyway?

Last year the window opened June 14th, so guessing it will open mid-month again.

I'm assuming that the window covers the registration of new players anyway, so the finances of the transaction can be done in a different month to a registration change?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #954 on: March 01, 2024, 11:44:35 AM »
Taking age and potential into account I think there's only Luiz, Torres and Kamara I'd choose to keep over Ramsey. We have a lot of very good players int he squad right now but a fair few of them are in, or close to, their 30s now so I'd not want to sell any of the younger players if we can hlep it, they'll need to be at the heart of a new first 11 in a few years so we'd just be creating problems for us down the line.
Don't forget Martinez could easily have another 5 or 6 years in him. 

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #955 on: March 01, 2024, 11:45:50 AM »
Martinez is the last one I'd sell.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #956 on: March 01, 2024, 11:52:15 AM »
Don't forget Martinez could easily have another 5 or 6 years in him. 

I didn't, he's high on the list but I think those 4 could be a big part of a top 4 squad for most of the next decade.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #957 on: March 01, 2024, 11:56:35 AM »

Agree.  Make the CL and we're FAR likelier to keep all the players we want to keep and add some one or two.  Think it also depends quite a lot on what happens to Man City, as I can definitely see them trying to buy Luiz.

Online VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #958 on: March 01, 2024, 12:11:08 PM »
Carlos should be on the sale list whilst he still has a bit of residual value

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #959 on: March 01, 2024, 12:13:44 PM »
Honestly, I think there was a lot of interpreting of what Ornstein said. All he said was that clubs are under more FFP pressure than before, and that other teams were interested in Ramsey. I don't know how either of these facts add up to 'ORNSTEIN PREDICTS VILLA FIRE SALE', or 'NEWCASTLE IN RAMSEY SWOOP' or whatever.

Thats my view on it too.

I don't think the evidence we have available points to some kind of financial crisis, but at the same time we've been spending decent money on transfer fees and wages for a number of years now, and not bringing in vast amounts aside from Grealish.  I'd be very surprised if we don't make 1 major sale this summer, and my money is on it being (my favourite player) Doug.

I think youíre probably right but in the last two years or so weíve sold Ramsey, Archer, Philogene, and Chuk.

Thatís 60m and all homegrown.

Weíve also clawed back, somehow, 15m of Danny Ings money. Weíve done a lot more than most clubs, and the four homegrown sales are extremely valuable.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal