collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Matt C
[Today at 02:27:36 AM]

Samuel Iling Junior - Signed by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:34:45 AM]

The International Cricket Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:15:28 AM]

Kits 24/25 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 01:12:25 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:57:11 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by cdbearsfan
[Today at 12:36:21 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:13:25 AM]

GAA football by Rory
[July 21, 2024, 11:51:27 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: FFP  (Read 249395 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: FFP
« Reply #960 on: March 01, 2024, 12:15:27 PM »
Selling Martinez would constitute achieving an abysmal money raised to impact on team ratio.

Offline dekko

« Reply #961 on: March 01, 2024, 12:16:20 PM »
I think Martinez will be here a while yet.  His age and international achievements mean he was probably at his peak value last summer.  He'll be worth more to us on the pitch than on the balance sheet now.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #962 on: March 01, 2024, 12:26:05 PM »
Honestly, I think there was a lot of interpreting of what Ornstein said. All he said was that clubs are under more FFP pressure than before, and that other teams were interested in Ramsey. I don't know how either of these facts add up to 'ORNSTEIN PREDICTS VILLA FIRE SALE', or 'NEWCASTLE IN RAMSEY SWOOP' or whatever.

Thats my view on it too.

I don't think the evidence we have available points to some kind of financial crisis, but at the same time we've been spending decent money on transfer fees and wages for a number of years now, and not bringing in vast amounts aside from Grealish.  I'd be very surprised if we don't make 1 major sale this summer, and my money is on it being (my favourite player) Doug.

I think you’re probably right but in the last two years or so we’ve sold Ramsey, Archer, Philogene, and Chuk.

That’s 60m and all homegrown.

We’ve also clawed back, somehow, 15m of Danny Ings money. We’ve done a lot more than most clubs, and the four homegrown sales are extremely valuable.

Go back another year and academy has gained us a lot more than that and lines up pretty well agianst the likes of Man City and Chelsea who have made their business model around hoovering up all the talent they can and then selling most of them for as much as they can.

Offline dekko

« Reply #963 on: March 01, 2024, 12:30:25 PM »
Honestly, I think there was a lot of interpreting of what Ornstein said. All he said was that clubs are under more FFP pressure than before, and that other teams were interested in Ramsey. I don't know how either of these facts add up to 'ORNSTEIN PREDICTS VILLA FIRE SALE', or 'NEWCASTLE IN RAMSEY SWOOP' or whatever.

Thats my view on it too.

I don't think the evidence we have available points to some kind of financial crisis, but at the same time we've been spending decent money on transfer fees and wages for a number of years now, and not bringing in vast amounts aside from Grealish.  I'd be very surprised if we don't make 1 major sale this summer, and my money is on it being (my favourite player) Doug.

I think you’re probably right but in the last two years or so we’ve sold Ramsey, Archer, Philogene, and Chuk.

That’s 60m and all homegrown.

We’ve also clawed back, somehow, 15m of Danny Ings money. We’ve done a lot more than most clubs, and the four homegrown sales are extremely valuable.

Go back another year and academy has gained us a lot more than that and lines up pretty well agianst the likes of Man City and Chelsea who have made their business model around hoovering up all the talent they can and then selling most of them for as much as they can.

This is true.

I suppose my main concern is that there have been a lot of reports over the last few years (from some of the better journos) about how we have started paying pretty good wages for a team not currently in the CL.  The question is how much has our wage bill ballooned and how far do those sales go in covering it.

I guess we'll find out when the accounts are released.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2025
« Reply #964 on: March 01, 2024, 12:31:06 PM »
Also, and I hope this doesn’t come to pass, I rate JJ and think he’s great (completely proved me wrong in my initial view on him) but if push came to shove I count 6 (off the top of my head) players I’d rather keep. That’s also considering likely value, benefit in terms of P&S as well. Hope it doesn’t come to that of course!

Are you mad? He's the last player I'd sell!
I'd sell him before Martinez, Luiz, Torres and Ollie.  Probably McGinn & Kamara too.

Obviously I'd prefer to keep him as he may turn out to be superb for us, but so far he's not been consistent enough for long enough for me to want to retain him over any of that lot.

I’d be adding Bailey in there too.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2025
« Reply #965 on: March 01, 2024, 12:32:56 PM »
Selling Martinez would constitute achieving an abysmal money raised to impact on team ratio.

Yep, unless he was to down tools (which I can’t see) then selling Emi is just utterly pointless. We will not be able to replace him adequately, and the fee we’d receive wouldn’t be astronomical.

Offline lovejoy

« Reply #966 on: March 01, 2024, 12:38:49 PM »
Carlos should be on the sale list whilst he still has a bit of residual value

We signed him on a 4 year deal for £20+ million 2 years ago so hes on the books at in excess of £10m. Anything below that would mean a loss. I can't se us getting enough proceeds for a 31 year old injury prone defender to justify a sale.

Offline pablo_picasso

• GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #967 on: March 01, 2024, 12:51:43 PM »

And Newcastle are in exactly the same situation as we are regarding FFP restrictions.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #968 on: March 01, 2024, 02:08:34 PM »
If we are being honest the one we would get huge bucks for is Luiz. His age, nationality and the fact he would probably improve most the 10-12 teams in Europe (including EPL) who are actually better than us.

I could east see a £90m+Add Ons. Although not if there is a release clause.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #969 on: March 01, 2024, 04:13:54 PM »

He said we MUST SELL by the end of June.

Offline VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #970 on: March 01, 2024, 04:34:53 PM »
Carlos should be on the sale list whilst he still has a bit of residual value

We signed him on a 4 year deal for £20+ million 2 years ago so hes on the books at in excess of £10m. Anything below that would mean a loss. I can't se us getting enough proceeds for a 31 year old injury prone defender to justify a sale.
yep, be difficult to shift him without a huge financial loss

Offline taylorsworkrate

« Reply #971 on: March 01, 2024, 04:37:41 PM »
Surely a lot of these FFP predictions change if we secure CL football?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #972 on: March 01, 2024, 04:49:19 PM »
Surely a lot of these FFP predictions change if we secure CL football?

Not for this season they don’t though.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #973 on: March 01, 2024, 04:53:07 PM »
My reading is we would sell to buy - I can’t see a fire sale

I see it more as whether selling a prize asset will leave us in a stronger position with the players it means we’re able to buy

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #974 on: March 01, 2024, 05:09:53 PM »

He said we MUST SELL by the end of June.

Did he? I subscribe to The Athletic and everything and I don't remember him saying that. Perfectly possible I missed it, of course.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal