collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Emi Buendia - Injured  (Read 232170 times)

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Emi Buendia - Signed
« Reply #1035 on: November 22, 2021, 10:11:10 AM »
I like to think he will come good I saw his frustration when he was subbed against Brighton.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1036 on: November 22, 2021, 10:13:34 AM »
He's clearly a decent player but like Chris has said, he needs time to settle.  Gerrard will be here for a while so his team can really get to work with him now to get him up to speed.  We will see an improvement. I also don't think he was as poor as people thought on Saturday either.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1037 on: November 22, 2021, 10:19:18 AM »
It's just hard to see where he's going to fit in, or do well. You need pace in this game, especially as a wide player. It's all very well having talent but if you haven't got the phyicality or the speed, you're going to struggle as a wide player. Jota was the same, although Buendia is better than him.

He's done it before, at Norwich and previously in Spain. Why wouldn't he be able to do it again? Other than not having the fitness and time yet.

If we're comparing him to Ratboy, then he'll fail, because he's a different type of player, and clearly there's not really anyone as good as him at what he does.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1038 on: November 22, 2021, 10:29:28 AM »
I don’t think he was that poor on Saturday either and is a useful player but not a £35 million player that’s the problem

His best football was at Norwich in the championship when they came up for that one season he went missing for a year which is a major concern then regained his form back in the championship for them
The coaching team will hopefully make him sharper and quicker in thought and we might get the player we were hoping we bought, I don’t think he will be a outright dismal failure like say N’zogbia McCormack Hutton

But whether he will live up to his pricetag remains to be seen but he will be given every chance I’m sure

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1039 on: November 22, 2021, 10:30:20 AM »
What is stopping him from being a top premier league player now is the same thing that's been against him all along, he doesn't protect the ball well enough. Part of it is that he just hasn't got the core strength but the slightly more worrying side is that, in complete opposition to the best players, he seems to always have less time than he should.

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #1040 on: November 22, 2021, 10:31:44 AM »
I think the perceived lack of 'quickness of thought' is most likely down to a lack of confidence and assuredness in the system he's playing. He's not a 'slow' player.

Watching his footage from Norwich, in a team he was very comfortable playing in, you can see that's not a permanent feature of his play.

If he's still looking this lost within the formation in 5-6 months, then criticism will be fair enough - just think it'll take a while for him (and the rest of our attacking midfielders) to understand where his creative options will be based on how Gerrard wants to set up. Until this point, we've had no real recognisable patterns of play in how we attack this season - which is not great for trying to integrate several new attacking players.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1041 on: November 22, 2021, 10:49:13 AM »
I think the perceived lack of 'quickness of thought' is most likely down to a lack of confidence and assuredness in the system he's playing. He's not a 'slow' player.

Watching his footage from Norwich, in a team he was very comfortable playing in, you can see that's not a permanent feature of his play.

If he's still looking this lost within the formation in 5-6 months, then criticism will be fair enough - just think it'll take a while for him (and the rest of our attacking midfielders) to understand where his creative options will be based on how Gerrard wants to set up. Until this point, we've had no real recognisable patterns of play in how we attack this season - which is not great for trying to integrate several new attacking players.

I hope you're right because if he can fix that I think he'll be an asset to us.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1042 on: November 22, 2021, 10:53:03 AM »

Yeah, I think I'd agree with this.  Some players, I think it's fair enough to say based on early impressions they're not going to make it.  With Buendía, I'd be inclined to judge him based on where he's at come the end of the season, not a couple of months in.  I'm fairly confident that he'll come good, and when he does he'll come really good.

Offline Moonraker

• GM : 22.10.2022
« Reply #1043 on: November 22, 2021, 11:10:09 AM »
I suspect he will turn out to be a more than decent player for us - he has the skills, he needs to fit them in. I dont think Grealish has been shooting the lights out at City in the way we know he can yet either

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1044 on: November 22, 2021, 11:21:44 AM »
You mention his perceived lack of 'quickness of thought': so, I don't see that at all - I see someone who sees the passes and moves into spaces in anticipation of the ball being shifted there; both of which require vision and speed of thought. He is also almost too enthusiastic, burning out after 70 minutes of closing-down and chasing-back.
Where he is not yet up to speed is in his ball retention (core strength? lack of the sort of technique that McGinn - for example - has?).
He was bought as a support-act to JG, not to be the main creative focus: that, too, may take a while for him to adapt to.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1045 on: November 22, 2021, 11:28:59 AM »
Whether he turns out as good as we all hope is one thing, but bloody hell we overpaid on him by about £20m.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1046 on: November 22, 2021, 11:39:02 AM »
I backed him before we signed him so going to stick with that view.  I still believe he has the assets to be an excellent player for us.  He's stronger than he looks with a low centre of gravity.  He's feisty and hard working.  I agree he's not looked great so far, but hopefully it's more to do with fitness and settling in.  Hopefully Gerrard can get the best of him because if we can get him firing he'd be our most creative player.   

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1047 on: November 22, 2021, 11:48:51 AM »
How is he stronger than he looks? Is he just getting knocked off the ball constantly as a bet then?! 🤷

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1048 on: November 22, 2021, 12:18:15 PM »
How is he stronger than he looks? Is he just getting knocked off the ball constantly as a bet then?! 🤷
I know what you mean, it's not working for him at the moment.  But the point remains, he's stocky and tenacious.  I don't think he'll be getting knocked of as easily once he gets into his stride.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1049 on: November 22, 2021, 12:36:42 PM »
I don’t think he was that poor on Saturday either and is a useful player but not a £35 million player that’s the problem

His best football was at Norwich in the championship when they came up for that one season he went missing for a year which is a major concern then regained his form back in the championship for them
The coaching team will hopefully make him sharper and quicker in thought and we might get the player we were hoping we bought, I don’t think he will be a outright dismal failure like say N’zogbia McCormack Hutton

But whether he will live up to his pricetag remains to be seen but he will be given every chance I’m sure

The year they came up only De Bruyne and Grealish made more chances than him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal