collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:03:06 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Emi Buendia - Injured  (Read 232434 times)

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Emi Buendia - Signed
« Reply #915 on: November 03, 2021, 12:24:47 PM »
That's a shrewd point about Jack's ball-carrying Drummond. The idea that we replace him with three attackers missed the mark a bit, as he was also our most important defensive player for his ability to hold onto the thing, drag it upfield with him or get kicked in the attempt. All of which suggests that perhaps Dean and Johan didn't quite understand him as a player even while in the team, let alone how to compensate for his departure.

There isn’t anyone like him though is there. Smith made the precise point that they knew they couldn’t replace him with one player so they bought three who could collectively offer the same qualities. We haven’t yet had the luxury of them all being available to test the theory.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #916 on: November 03, 2021, 12:33:24 PM »
Sure, but my point is that thinking of replacing him just in the final third was a mistake. We're so clearly lacking stickability in midfield, especially without Doug.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #917 on: November 03, 2021, 01:00:18 PM »
We always knew we could release pressure and get upfield by getting it to Ratboy. Bailey looks like he can go on a run, but it's not the same type of play as his brief is clearly to make attacking things happen.

How many times did we gain a free-kick in and around the halfway line so that we could reset and start again. I'd argue McGinn is our best outlet for that as he shields with his arse.

Buendia is brilliant at finding a pass, in tight spaces. I'm looking forward to seeing how that works with Watkins and Bailey finding them.

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #918 on: November 03, 2021, 01:06:07 PM »
The obsession with him being 'lightweight', do you think someone like Bruno Fernandes is winning many arm wrestles against defensive mids and centre backs?

Against West Ham, Bailey and Buendia would constantly receive the ball racing their own goal, because there's absolutely no coordination in midfield and no plan for building from the back. It's as unfair to judge wide attackers on that as it is to judge Watkins getting the ball gently chipped to his hair all evening.

Its not a "obsession" its how it is. Being so weak and getting over powered on the ball and losing various battlesin the middle.

He is small and looks very weak.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #919 on: November 03, 2021, 01:09:57 PM »
Sure, but my point is that thinking of replacing him just in the final third was a mistake. We're so clearly lacking stickability in midfield, especially without Doug.

It feels like Smith has given up trying to play through midfield and break the press as the back four, taking into account they are not that comfortable on the ball anyway,  simply have no-one to pass to and have resorted to hitting this long ball.

Grealish was unique in helping us play that progressive football and Smith has never resolved the problem when he’s not playing.

We’ve ended up being a less effective Burnley. Buendia is suffering more than most with the lack of identity we have at present.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #920 on: November 03, 2021, 01:12:22 PM »

Against West Ham, Bailey and Buendia would constantly receive the ball racing their own goal, because there's absolutely no coordination in midfield and no plan for building from the back. It's as unfair to judge wide attackers on that as it is to judge Watkins getting the ball gently chipped to his hair all evening.
Yes: I was singularly unimpressed with Bailey, until I reflected that he had received no decent ball, seemed to have been told to stay out wide (where it was very easy to be marked) and nothing for him to show his pace and close control on the move.
Regarding Buendia, I'm in the wait-and-see camp: I think he is highly-skilled and has shown over the last 3 seasons that he can do it. He needs to be playing in front of a stronger midfield.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #921 on: November 03, 2021, 02:00:18 PM »

Good point and it's also why so many knew we desperately needed a DCM.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #922 on: November 03, 2021, 02:51:02 PM »
I remember when Angel seemed not to be clicking and it seemed to me that he was just on a different page at times, he was seeing runs and balls that his teammates didn't (barring I thought Lee Hendrie). I hope that doesn't arise with Buendia. He has and can play some really intricate passes and thread balls through gaps that you don't think are there. Grealish was similar in that regard, which is why I had such high hopes for his partnership with Barkley who is similar.

Buendia looks a bit lost at times as there just isn't the movement for him to make the most of. Watkins playing closer to him would help.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #923 on: November 03, 2021, 02:56:52 PM »
That’s a fair comparison Drummond. Main difference is that Buendia has been in English football for three years now.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #924 on: November 03, 2021, 03:05:29 PM »
The obsession with him being 'lightweight', do you think someone like Bruno Fernandes is winning many arm wrestles against defensive mids and centre backs?

I don't think it's an obsession, certainly not from my point, it's more about setting expectations of what he's going to do.

Loads of people on here in the summer talked about him playing at 10 and I didn't like the idea because the thought of him coming up against players like Bissouma, Rice, etc didn't fill me with confidence. On the wing it's less of a problems but he still needs to find out where he fits in a team like ours. My biggest frustration with Smith is that all the fucking about with the formation means that we're over a quarter of the way into the season and the weekend was the first time that Buendia played genuniely on the wing for a prolonged period. He still struggled because we lost the midfield battle but there were glimpses of his strengths, especially with the assist.

He's one of a few players in the team right now that are struggling because Smith and coaches don't seem to know how to play to highlight their strengths instead of their weaknesses.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #925 on: November 03, 2021, 03:07:17 PM »
That’s a fair comparison Drummond. Main difference is that Buendia has been in English football for three years now.

And his record with Norwich was what prompted us to sign him which suggests that if he can get the right relationship with his teammates he could prosper.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #926 on: November 03, 2021, 03:13:50 PM »
Yes and importantly he did well the last time they were in the Premier League.

Offline Drummond

« Reply #927 on: November 03, 2021, 03:38:56 PM »

And his record with Norwich was what prompted us to sign him which suggests that if he can get the right relationship with his teammates he could prosper.

Absolutely. I think we've seen glimpses of it, I just hope we click as a unit (i.e. midfield) and he can prosper. That assist on Sunday was great, his turn and finish v Brentford was clever, it's not often you see a player turn away from goal rather than to it to take a shot. I'm convinced he'll do well.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #928 on: November 03, 2021, 05:17:50 PM »
Absolutely. I think we've seen glimpses of it, I just hope we click as a unit (i.e. midfield) and he can prosper. That assist on Sunday was great, his turn and finish v Brentford was clever, it's not often you see a player turn away from goal rather than to it to take a shot. I'm convinced he'll do well.
There was also a period in the first half vs Wolves where he was threading some great passes between the lines.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #929 on: November 05, 2021, 10:24:50 PM »
One of the positives from tonight - I thought he was very good in the second half. Worked incredibly hard and showed skill as well.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal