collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 0-0 Everton Post-Match Thread  (Read 9113 times)

Offline Goldie.7

Re: Aston Villa 0-0 Everton Post-Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2021, 12:43:34 AM »
I thought Davis did OK. Lone striker role isn’t his bag and we didn’t exactly do him many favours in the support he got from elsewhere.

He would have been clean through if AEG just slots him the ball around the 20th minute. Instead he blasts it into the top of the North Stand.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2021, 12:45:32 AM »
Imagine getting up at 3am to watch that.......... yep (sighs and pours another coffee at his work desk)

Haha. Feel for you mate. A similar situation, time-wise here in Japan. Though I didn't bother getting up to watch this one, hundreds of occasions over the years have I felt like you do today.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2021, 12:59:14 AM »
Villa v Everton games are usually very good. This one reminded me of 1977 Wembley final.
It was bad, but wasn't that bad.

Depends on who we were playing. If had been against Man utd it would have been red you can guarantee.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2021, 01:42:44 AM »
Imagine getting up at 3am to watch that.......... yep (sighs and pours another coffee at his work desk)
youre more committed than me mate. Woke up at 6 checked the score and thought fk it can’t be arsed to watch. At least the palace game is at a decent hour. 9pm Sunday.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2021, 06:07:40 AM »

Friendly question. Which way does the water spin when you flush the bog?
The same as everywhere, Coriolis effect does not apply to sinks & toilets, only weather causes spin in the other direction - see tropical cyclones, always spin counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere, and spin in the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere

Offline sid1964

« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2021, 07:19:48 AM »
Poor game from 2 teams that looked as though they just want the end of the season

Looking at the performances last night if we get an offer for AEG and Davis this summer I would take it, neither are good enough

Davis reminded me of me when i was a child chasing a balloon around the garden, he has had enough chances to impress but at this level he is not going to make it - hopefully a championship club make an offer for him in the summer, and then we can give another of our youth a chance next season.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2021, 08:24:37 AM »
If that game showed anything it is that AEG and Traore are not good enough for where we want to be. AEG in particular is playing well above his level and his one goal every 50 or so shots dosnt cover that up.

Agreed. Until we replace those two we are going nowhere fast

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2021, 09:03:37 AM »
I couldn't help thinking that Keinan Davis is too 'nice' when challenging for the ball. For a player of his size and pace his first thought seems to be not injuring his opponent rather than winning the ball. He's not in the Peter Withe, Cyrille Regis or Dion Dublin mould in that respect.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2021, 09:06:32 AM »
If that game showed anything it is that AEG and Traore are not good enough for where we want to be. AEG in particular is playing well above his level and his one goal every 50 or so shots dosnt cover that up.

Similar with Traore. One piece of sublime skill every other game that will look good on a Youtube highlights video in no way makes up for his all round substandard play. He rarely beats a man and most of the time he loses possession weakly, or looks to pass back 30 yards thus negating any sort of forward momentum.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2021, 10:12:14 AM »
0-0 against a team with Everton's away record this season could be regarded as a decent result when being without 2 of this season's stand-out players. But that doesn't assuage my irritation about the way we set up and played.
We are not dynamic enough and we pay insufficient attention to retaining the ball from midfield: Barkley's passing was f***ing woeful, Luiz was good but still gave away the ball too much and Traore seems to run into traffic whenever he attempts a dribble.
- The back 5 played okay, although - with Atkinson as ref - Mings got away with a couple, for me.
- McGinn played with the swagger of a man who has re-found his arse: almost back to his best, I thought.
- Luiz was okay but still gave some poor passes and got outrun by Allan in midfield.
- Barkley was utter gash throughout: yes, his early pressing was a pleasant surprise but his passing and set pieces were shite.
- Traore: what to say?! He is such a clever player at times, but his decision-making is dreadful and he needs to cut out this bloody diving.
- AEG: he needs to play in front of a stronger midfield if we are to see the best he has ... or, are we seeing it anyway?!
- Davis: unless Deano moves to a different set-up - away from one where a sole striker is expected to carve his own furrow - or we substantially strengthen the midfield (so that we have more dynamic box-to-box playing) our Keinan is not going to work. His limitations were exposed yesterday, and I think that his role will - at best - an impact sub (one who has only scored once in that role in the top flight).

Big summer ahead, as others have said.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2021, 10:21:24 AM »
The big man up front on his own doesn't work unless the wingers and attacking midfielders can pick the right moments to get close to him.

Nobody did last night.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2021, 10:54:45 AM »
I've seen comments about Luiz giving the ball away a few times and I'm not sure how that became 'fact' from the game. He had the highest pass completion of anyone who started for either team.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2021, 11:06:53 AM »
Thought AEG did ok to be honest. Worked hard and used the ball well. Ran at them and caused free kicks and corners. Unfortunately didn't have his shooting boots on though. The assist stats for this season don't lie I guess. Traore was appalling yet again. He's a liability on the right wing to be honest. Has no pace or strength either, so many times he half heartedly runs into the full back. A classy touch every now and again is nowhere near enough. AEG at least put a shift in when he moved over there and the difference was noticeable.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2021, 11:07:13 AM »
Villa v Everton games are usually very good. This one reminded me of 1977 Wembley final.

Good call.

The highlight at Wembley being the post half time 10 minutes of hunting the bandsman’s lost spur from his boot.

Remember that?

If memory serves, John Gidman found it.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2021, 11:10:09 AM »
McGinn was my MOTM

Either SJM or Martinez. That save at the near post was something else. It's great having a real top keeper and he must be right up there for our Player of the Season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal