collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Plucky Naive Aston Villa 1-3 Penalty United post match thread  (Read 13814 times)

Offline robbo1874

Re: Plucky Naive Aston Villa 1-3 Penalty United post match thread
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2021, 11:03:32 PM »
Andy Hinchcliffe take a bow. The most biased, one-sided commentary ever, topped by his 'his hand was not in an unnatural position, it's never a penalty' comment. The smug smartarse. Even when i'm not particularly interested in the two teams playing, his comments drive me up the wall.
we had Matt Holland on Optus in Aus. His line was ‘it was because he was so close and didn’t have time to get his hand out the way’ Not sure who the main commentator was, but between them it was like a ManU wankathon, trawling up ever more contrived stats against Villa and in favour of them. Had to turn the sound down and just watch after a certain point I got so annoyed with it.

They started strongly, but we clawed our way in and finished the first half pretty much on top. Cracking finish by Traore.

The Luis challenge looked a penalty to me. But so did the handball one we should have been given and I must have been watching a different game to the ref to think Ollie got kicked in the knee by the keeper and should have had a penalty. Instead he gets. Second yellow for diving and sent off? What the fuck. Stopped watching after that incident. There’s always controversy when we play these ******, but it seemed like it moved up a notch or 2 this match.

Offline Skerra

« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2021, 11:06:19 PM »
Just watched us again on MOTD. My feelings are that their penalty was nailed on as Luiz clearly clatters Pogba from behind. The Ollie one, they are saying that he dived, I saw it as a genuine attempt by Ollie to get the ball but went down after minimal contact. He thought he was going to get hurt so, in all, the second yellow was a nonsense. As regards the handball incident, they chose not to comment on that at all. From what I’ve seen all of this season, that was a stonewall penalty and ref should have been sent to the screen. I have absolutely no doubt at all that if Manure had needed that to draw level, the ref would have have given it without even going to VAR.
The only sad thing for me, today, was our overall naivety once again that cost us the points. Also very disappointing performances from Barkley, El Ghazi and Luiz. Ollie was also not at his best but, can be forgiven by DS tactics which once again left Ollie isolated.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2021, 11:13:16 PM »
Just watched us again on MOTD. My feelings are that their penalty was nailed on as Luiz clearly clatters Pogba from behind. The Ollie one, they are saying that he dived, I saw it as a genuine attempt by Ollie to get the ball but went down after minimal contact. He thought he was going to get hurt so, in all, the second yellow was a nonsense.

That was my take on it, there was definitely more in their claim. However what is annoying is that if the roles were reversed (including the handball) they'd likely still have got the penalty(s) and we wouldn't have.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #168 on: May 10, 2021, 12:02:36 AM »
They were the better team.

They also had the ref.

We had no chance. The Watkins sending off was a travesty and Jenas etc on MOTD trying to justify it? Wanker.

An observation about Ramsay, I like what I've seen, but it's clear he's a junior member of the team, looking to be told what to do by other players. I think that is another reason we're bringing the younger ones through gradually.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #169 on: May 10, 2021, 12:03:39 AM »
Jenas and that gimp fernadez both wankers

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #170 on: May 10, 2021, 12:12:14 AM »
Can't believe they didn't mention the Greenwood pen, most obvious of the three. Did DS even mention it in his interview as I thought it was odd he ranted about Pogba instead as that was pretty clearcut, we got a softer one with Barkley v West Brom.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #171 on: May 10, 2021, 12:17:56 AM »
Really disappointing that all the talk post-match is of the ref and ManUre being their scummy selves when one of our own players was responsible for the game's most beautiful moment. Bert Traore's goal fully befitting of a sun-drenched Villa Park in the springtime. He has an uncanny knack of caressing the ball when he shoots. I guess it's part of his languid style generally but when it comes off, (today, at home to Newcastle, away to WBA) it's a sexy sight to behold. I'm trying to think of any other players we had who stroke the ball like that...maybe Dwight at times?

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #172 on: May 10, 2021, 01:26:43 AM »
Its just all so horribly predictable. Its become almost quite laughable really.  Every. Single. Time.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #173 on: May 10, 2021, 01:30:24 AM »
The commentator i listened to spent much of the game pondering whether City would be champions today. WTF they are champions whether today next week ot the week after. Luiz has disappointed me the last few games, not sure he is good enough for where we want to be.
What stuck out for me was how we gave the ball away a lot more than the other crowd which i suppose comes down to quality. Wes touched the ball so i suppose thats a plus. Can't wait for next season.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #174 on: May 10, 2021, 01:38:24 AM »
I thought we started the game poorly and then got right at it and in brief spells looked very comfortable .
We all knew the Penalty would come at some point and Liability Luiz was odds on to give it away, I really do not know what people see in him.

I thought Martinez could have done better for their 2nd Goal and after his bright start and solid performances at the start of the season questions are starting to appear over his performances and decisions in recent weeks. Maybe we should give Heaton a chance for the Final Fixtures at it feels Martinez has become a little bit comfortable in the No.1 Jersey .

We looked better when Davis and Wesley finally got on the pitch, Dean again leaving it far too late for the Subs to make any real game changing impact

A pretty meaningless few matches coming up now with mid-table safety looking to be the outcome of a season that looked so promising. I don't think we will have a better chance to get a European Spot for some time. Jacks injury obviously proving we are a bit of a one man team and it would be a complete Disaster if he was to leave the Football Club .

The Everton game would be the perfect opportunity to try out some of the Squad and give the youth players a taste of Premiership Football as I expect the fans Attending the Chelsea Fixture will want to see the first 11 , especially if paying £50 for a Zone 1 Seat.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2021, 02:31:13 AM »
There's absolutely no way i'd be dropping Martinez, I think he's been superb and just recently he's just looked human other than flawless as he was for months.  I'm also firmly in the Dougie camp as I was sure Citeh would be re-signing him at Xmas, now i'd be quite surprised if they did.  At 23 yesterday I still think he's going to be a top player though.

Our squad depth has really found us out since Xmas, players have either lost form or just got tired.  When you consider the physical and mental effort post project re-start with a short pre-season it's not surprising it's caught up with us.  Just hope we can finish top 10 still, we are a damn sight better side than any of Leeds, Arsenal and Bloody Wolves that's for sure.

Everyone just looks like they need a holiday, rest up, recharge and the club can recruit.   I still think the future is looking really bright.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 07:14:43 AM by OzVilla »

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #176 on: May 10, 2021, 03:39:16 AM »
Jenas and that gimp fernadez both wankers

Pogba and Rashford, too. Both niggly fuckers. Hate them

Offline sid1964

« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2021, 07:01:59 AM »
As soon as they equalised you knew they would go on and win the game. We lack leaders in the team.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2021, 08:58:41 AM »
I deliberately didn't watch the game. I've seen Traore's wonder goal and the still photo of Ollie being challenged at the end.
If that was Pogba or the likes of Kane involved they would have got the penalty.
Going into a game like yesterday's Villa need to score at least 2 goals before a ball is kicked to get anything out of it (accounting for obligatory penalties to the opposition). Even more so at the business end of a season. By all accounts Villa could have had 2 pens but none were given.
I have watched Villa since the age of 7 and been involved in the game in a number of ways since. Top level football as it is currently presented makes me feel that it is all about the sky/scab/sly 6. I don't follow European football/qualification, but I feel the ducks are being lined up especially in these last few games; so that even the Arse (and they are sh-t) get european football next season. I wouldn't be surprised to see red scouse get cl football at the expense of Leicester. I feel refs (and var) are on a mission to accomplish this. Villa losing yesterday (even with a game in hand) with the Arse winning now makes it difficult for us to overhaul them and potentially take one of those european spots. Regarding the tv coverage without knowing the answer I bet the pundits in the studio and the so-called expert co-commentator had no Villa connections but may have had connections to manure and certainly to the other scab 5 clubs. I feel the blatant biased analysis of these people has ruined the game for a number of years as a spectacle to watch on tv.
Thursday's game against Everton I will watch on tv (with the sound on mute) because it will hopefully be a proper, competitive game of football. Hopefully the ref and var can just do their jobs fairly and nothing more.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2021, 09:07:42 AM »
As soon as they equalised you knew they would go on and win the game. We lack leaders in the team.
The refereeing has somewhat clouded over some poor decisions by the manager and players.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal