collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:30:40 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:06:11 PM]

Re: COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:01:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Next season's kits  (Read 213188 times)

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
Re: Next season's kits
« Reply #1170 on: June 04, 2022, 12:13:54 AM »
It makes us look small time.

Sorry lads.
Don't all winners carry star/stars on their shirts?  Real Madrid must have added additional yard of material to their shirts  to accommodates all the stars.

No. In other countries they have a league system but only us and Forest do it in England for the European Cup which should tell you everything. Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea don't. They obviously don't feel like they need to prove anything.

If we were going to do it it should at least look like how Celtic do it but even then it is small time imo.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1171 on: June 04, 2022, 12:24:04 AM »
Don't all winners carry star/stars on their shirts?  Real Madrid must have added additional yard of material to their shirts  to accommodates all the stars.

No. In other countries they have a league system but only us and Forest do it in England for the European Cup which should tell you everything. Man Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea don't. They obviously don't feel like they need to prove anything.

Man U, Liverpool and Chelsea don't need them as the media remind us often enough about their wins.

Offline Smirker

« Reply #1172 on: June 04, 2022, 12:36:59 AM »
We don't need it either, anyone who matters knows about 1982.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #1173 on: June 04, 2022, 12:52:51 AM »
I hate to disagree but outside of Villa circles, I don't think many know or (spit) care. Bear in mind the media (and therefore people generally) often take the view that Newcastle and Leeds, for example, are bigger than Villa. I really think it's because we added a star to our badge that people are more aware of the club's accomplishment.

Why not celebrate the club's finest hour? It's the least that team deserve.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #1174 on: June 04, 2022, 01:05:34 AM »
I hate to disagree but outside of Villa circles, I don't think many know or (spit) care. Bear in mind the media (and therefore people generally) often take the view that Newcastle and Leeds, for example, are bigger than Villa. I really think it's because we added a star to our badge that people are more aware of the club's accomplishment.

Interesting point.
I’m a massive hypocrite as probably half the staff on every hospital ward I’ve ever worked on know I’m a Villa fan and it can be a running joke about me ‘never mentioning’ that I was there as a nipper, but on the whole - seasons like the last aside - I side with the danger of too much living in the past and we don’t need a star to prove anything.

But I think you are right so many don’t realise we ever won it, you might have won me round.

You’d like to think we don’t need a star for the same reason as others that have won it multiples/recently, but I guess until we have that problem of ‘just how many stars is it right to have on the badge?’ I can cope with it being there.

Offline purpletrousers

« Reply #1175 on: June 04, 2022, 01:08:45 AM »

Sorry lads.

If we were going to do it it should at least look like how Celtic do it but even then it is small time imo.

League system?

I just had to look at Celtic’s badge. Then shirt. A star floating above the badge, no thank you. Looks worse/even more small time.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #1176 on: June 04, 2022, 01:16:51 AM »

Interesting point.
I’m a massive hypocrite as probably half the staff on every hospital ward I’ve ever worked on know I’m a Villa fan and it can be a running joke about me ‘never mentioning’ that I was there as a nipper, but on the whole - seasons like the last aside - I side with the danger of too much living in the past and we don’t need a star to prove anything.

But I think you are right so many don’t realise we ever won it, you might have won me round.

You’d like to think we don’t need a star for the same reason as others that have won it multiples/recently, but I guess until we have that problem of ‘just how many stars is it right to have on the badge?’ I can cope with it being there.

"I side with the danger of too much living in the past and we don’t need a star to prove anything." - I fully agree with this; lets be a club who does things, rather than one who talks about stuff it did once, decades ago. But as you say, until we become that club, what's the harm in celebrating the incredible thing Villa did? So few others will even get the opportunity to enter the competition, let alone win it, especially in the manner we did.

I'd love to get to the point where we have to reduce the lion a bit to fit all the stars in!

And if we could just get you to a wider-reaching platform, we could remove the star haha

Offline Smirker

« Reply #1177 on: June 04, 2022, 01:30:39 AM »

Sorry lads.

League system?

I just had to look at Celtic’s badge. Then shirt. A star floating above the badge, no thank you. Looks worse/even more small time.

In Germany I think it's one star for five league titles, two for ten, three for fifteen and so on. Can't remember specifically but there is a way they do it per league titles.

Also that is typically how it's done at any level. International, continental or domestic. The star goes above the crest. Ours looks lopsided and awkward.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 01:32:54 AM by Smirker »

Offline purpletrousers

« Reply #1178 on: June 04, 2022, 01:33:56 AM »
I work as a Chaplain these days, that’s the simplest way to explain it, but formally “Dept of Spiritual, Religious & Cultural Care”. I’m stretching it maybe but I say football is part of my culture and it certainly helps me to connect to a good chunk of the men I meet.
I often say wall charts should be up on wards for WC/Euros, it’s culturally important

I work in some forensic wards where they certainly aren’t going anywhere, but the fact I can chat about who we’ve got on Saturday and going to the game does register with some. I (of course) genuinely enjoy talking about seeing Villa lose at Highbury but win the league, beat Bayern, and get kicked by Barca. I’ve had a few Buddhists comment on the fact I’m one of a few who ‘get paid to be be a Buddhist’, but I guess how often I engage using footy, I’m really paid to be a villa fan too😅

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1179 on: June 04, 2022, 01:39:37 AM »
European Cup stars should be awarded and strictly regulated. One star, no matter how many you have won, above the badge. Then ban any clubs that attempt a Man City/Huddersfield/Rangers cvnt move of sticking stars on your badge to represent league titles/FA cups/number of disabled toilets at the ground.

We should be proud of having won the European Cup, but not so proud that we incorporate it into our very identity.

I think we need a new badge, and I'm open to lots of different ideas, but we need to bin the current one, which looks like it's been put together by a first-year design student on Canva. My conditions are simple: we need a (decently proportioned) lion, and our full name (no fucking initials).

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #1180 on: June 04, 2022, 06:02:00 AM »
I can't do all the fancy graphics.

How about a complete revolution.

Great big white T-shirt thing, badge on the back, massive black on white letters on the front like Frankie says Relax but instead reading

SHIT ON
THE CITY

Think that would look excellent with Phil wearing it and a great big smile.

Perhaps 2nd and 3rd strips insulting the Tesco's and Dingles. It would all be a nice alternative to everything being so bland

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1181 on: June 04, 2022, 10:06:47 AM »
The lion should he claret, not piss yellow. I don't mind the star but put it above the badge, don't make it look like the lion has just burped it.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #1182 on: June 04, 2022, 10:10:14 AM »
They can redo the mosaic while they're at it.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1183 on: June 04, 2022, 10:37:25 AM »
The badge really does need changing, it’s not bad the stripey one but it’s piss poor.

Offline Smirker

« Reply #1184 on: June 04, 2022, 11:05:52 AM »
The badge really does need changing, it’s not bad the stripey one but it’s piss poor.

Tony Xia said he was going to change it. Not sure where NSWE stand on it.

Once we get it changed and get a proper kit manufacturer in (Umbro, Puma, Nike or Adidas), we will compete at the top again. Right now we look lower league with Castore and the Lerner badge.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal