collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Liverpool - 2 Aston Villa -1 Post Match Thread  (Read 16809 times)

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Re: Liverpool - 2 Aston Villa -1 Post Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: April 12, 2021, 01:03:01 AM »
Am I the only one that thinks Tammy is not the player we need?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #181 on: April 12, 2021, 01:17:15 AM »

I agree with you, I don’t dislike him as a player, I just don’t see where he fits.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #182 on: April 12, 2021, 02:59:34 AM »
Me three.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #183 on: April 12, 2021, 03:02:46 AM »

I agree with you, I don’t dislike him as a player, I just don’t see where he fits.

I think Tammy is an out and out striker and with Ollie behind him in a free role slightly deeper it might work as Ollie does like to drift and drop off whereas Tammy doesn't a lot of the time. Tammy prefers being the out and out target man. With a fit and firing midfield to supply and support them both the way each of them prefer I think they both would score a decent amount of goals.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2021, 03:08:17 AM by Damo70 »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #184 on: April 12, 2021, 08:56:12 AM »

He'd have to play in the out-and-out number 9 position, meaning you'd have to play Ollie the other side of the three to Jack. That would be an improvment on the current situation where we have one of three amigos wide, but as I said earlier, I'd prefer a player a bit more versatile so the top three could be a lot more interchangeable. Another Ollie would be nice, if we could clone him. On that general subject, it's another argument for giving Davis a chance, just so that we can see how Ollie does playing slightly wider. I don't think it will make any difference at all to his all round play, but it'd be good to try it out this season.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #185 on: April 12, 2021, 10:23:10 AM »
Earlier in the season I thought Ollie was pretty much the same type of player as Tammy, get the ball in the six yard box and he's on it. He's not, Ollie has so much more to his game than Tammy. As for pushing Ollie out wide, now he's had a taste of playing for England at centre forward, I doubt very much he'd be too happy playing in a wider position.

That said, maybe the two could be more interchangeable, I recall Tammy saying his preferred position was in a wider role rather than as a traditional centre forward. Who knows. What I do know is we desperately need a proper winger and there's little point having Ollie nevermind Tammy if we can't improve the service to the strikers.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #186 on: April 12, 2021, 11:36:58 AM »
I like Tammy, but in two minds about having him back, I don’t know whether any demand to have him back is in part driven by sentimentality because of what he did for us previously. He’s a good player and seems like a decent lad when you hear him in interviews. Is he exactly what we need to support Ollie or the best we can get for whatever money we have available, I honestly don’t know.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #187 on: April 12, 2021, 11:44:41 AM »
6 home defeats on the bounce and desperately need to turn it round?  Players going through a rough patch and not scored for aeons? Fear not, the ever obliging Aston Villa are your ideal next opponents, pants down, bent double, gaping hole, fully lubed, written invitation.

Liverpool looked pretty ordinary by their standards and we chucked that away.   Two points pissed away at Newcastle in injury time, and another one here. 

Smith has to take the blame, Davis should have come on ahead of either Barkley or AEG.  In fact he should have started.  Defence is their weak point, two inexperienced CBs,  Alexander Arnold struggling defensively, and Alison out of form.  Stupid not to go at them.

And if that Cash incident with Kane was a penalty then so was TAA going through Trez.  But then Villa don’t get those do they.
WTH is that about? We can do without neanderthal language I think.

He's gone.
Correct thing done.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #188 on: April 12, 2021, 11:57:44 AM »
Earlier in the season I thought Ollie was pretty much the same type of player as Tammy, get the ball in the six yard box and he's on it. He's not, Ollie has so much more to his game than Tammy. As for pushing Ollie out wide, now he's had a taste of playing for England at centre forward, I doubt very much he'd be too happy playing in a wider position.

That said, maybe the two could be more interchangeable, I recall Tammy saying his preferred position was in a wider role rather than as a traditional centre forward. Who knows. What I do know is we desperately need a proper winger and there's little point having Ollie nevermind Tammy if we can't improve the service to the strikers.

The more variety Ollie has, the greater his England chances will be I reckon. Kane is very obviously the number one choice as out-and-out striker, with Calvert-Lewin as his back up. If Ollie can play anywhere across the front three, I think it would give him more chance of going to the Euros and World Cup. We're not talk about him being an out and out winger in a 4-4-2, but a wide forward in a three, so the difference isn't as pronounced. We as Villa fans just think it is, because we've got used to mostly rubbish wingers playing there.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #189 on: April 12, 2021, 12:30:00 PM »

The more variety Ollie has, the greater his England chances will be I reckon. Kane is very obviously the number one choice as out-and-out striker, with Calvert-Lewin as his back up. If Ollie can play anywhere across the front three, I think it would give him more chance of going to the Euros and World Cup. We're not talk about him being an out and out winger in a 4-4-2, but a wide forward in a three, so the difference isn't as pronounced. We as Villa fans just think it is, because we've got used to mostly rubbish wingers playing there.

I agree.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #190 on: April 12, 2021, 12:57:28 PM »
Piss poor midfield again.
McGinn playing his preferred roll was as poor as ever imo.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #191 on: April 12, 2021, 02:25:02 PM »
I think people would just like another proven striker in the squad, that's all.

Signing John Carew years back helped push us up from 11th-16th to 6th after all so another experienced striker out there at 25-26 so fancies playing in premier league would fit the bill for me.

We ain't finishing 6th anytime soon with the back up striker options we have I'm afraid. One of the reasons we get so few points in games we're losing with 20 minutes left.

I think with our issues it makes sense to target a CF who can also play regularly out wide in the 3 as many of the top teams have. Think David Neres at Ajax is worth targeting as he can play either role, is 24 and been in Brazil squads with Doug and think he's got two years left on his deal so with Ajax signing Haller they'll probably want to cash in.

Will probably be some decent european clubs after him so think that would be type of ambitious move we need to start making in next two years.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #192 on: April 12, 2021, 03:09:09 PM »
I think people would just like another proven striker in the squad, that's all.

Signing John Carew years back helped push us up from 11th-16th to 6th after all so another experienced striker out there at 25-26 so fancies playing in premier league would fit the bill for me.

We ain't finishing 6th anytime soon with the back up striker options we have I'm afraid. One of the reasons we get so few points in games we're losing with 20 minutes left.

I think with our issues it makes sense to target a CF who can also play regularly out wide in the 3 as many of the top teams have. Think David Neres at Ajax is worth targeting as he can play either role, is 24 and been in Brazil squads with Doug and think he's got two years left on his deal so with Ajax signing Haller they'll probably want to cash in.

Will probably be some decent european clubs after him so think that would be type of ambitious move we need to start making in next two years.

Neres is a decent shout but my conern is that he's never really nailed down a place as a regular starter for them despite having a decent record.

Donyell Malen at PSV is the player I'd go for in the dutch league, I think he'd fit perfectly in a 3 with Watkins and Grealish. Would be big money though because I suspect a lot of teams are looking at him for this summer.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #193 on: April 12, 2021, 03:30:23 PM »
Donyell Malen at PSV is the player I'd go for in the dutch league, I think he'd fit perfectly in a 3 with Watkins and Grealish. Would be big money though because I suspect a lot of teams are looking at him for this summer.

Not only, his agent is Raiola who doesn't work on the cheap. Lovely player though and exactly the type we should be looking for.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #194 on: April 12, 2021, 11:25:30 PM »
Having spoken to a few Liverpool fans about the game, the general consensus from them was that it was a close game, they all felt like they were going to lose and what a goal to win it.

I said there were a number of fans that thought we were shit and they'd have none of it.

I think we're potentially doing ourselves down here and it's probably on the back of a mess successful period than earlier in the season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal