collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Liverpool - 2 Aston Villa -1 Post Match Thread  (Read 16803 times)

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Liverpool - 2 Aston Villa -1 Post Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: April 11, 2021, 12:57:57 PM »
The set up yesterday
Flat back 4 sitting fairly deep then

Nakamba
              SJM.                                                                            Luiz

Traore.                                                                                               Trez

Watkins

Then he went

SJM.                                                                     Luiz

Traore. Ramsey                           Barkley.                                        Trez AEG

Watkins

The distance between our wide players and midfield was huge, we were unable to use the press because we were too far away from each other and the the situation was exacerbated by our wingers giving the ball away ( particularly Trare) The 3 midfield players were all over the place.
It looked like a shambles.

A shambles and yet Liverpool didn’t have a meaningful attack between equalising and getting the last minute winner and despite not being fluent we were completely comfortable. Not suggesting we played well or you don’t make good points about about the set up, but a shamble suggests we were completely overrun. A draw would of been a fair result and I think not seeing that is overly negative.
I saw a shambles , if you saw something different great.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #166 on: April 11, 2021, 01:11:12 PM »
I wouldn't call losing 2-1 in stoppage time from a 20 yard strike a shambles. Why do people have to be so over the top?

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #167 on: April 11, 2021, 01:49:34 PM »
The set up yesterday
Flat back 4 sitting fairly deep then

Nakamba
              SJM.                                                                            Luiz

Traore.                                                                                               Trez

Watkins

Then he went

SJM.                                                                     Luiz

Traore. Ramsey                           Barkley.                                        Trez AEG

Watkins

The distance between our wide players and midfield was huge, we were unable to use the press because we were too far away from each other and the the situation was exacerbated by our wingers giving the ball away ( particularly Trare) The 3 midfield players were all over the place.
It looked like a shambles.

A shambles and yet Liverpool didn’t have a meaningful attack between equalising and getting the last minute winner and despite not being fluent we were completely comfortable. Not suggesting we played well or you don’t make good points about about the set up, but a shamble suggests we were completely overrun. A draw would of been a fair result and I think not seeing that is overly negative.
I saw a shambles , if you saw something different great.

I honestly can’t see how being completely comfortable for the last 35 minutes away to Liverpool and creating the best chance in that period when Trez hit the post, can be considered a shambles. We lost simply to an excellent finish from their second attack and shot of the half. I get passions run high with disappointments like yesterday, but shambles seems emotive language intended to cast further doubt on the manager.
But like you say different strokes and all that.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2021, 02:06:31 PM »
I made two observations after yesterday's game.
(i) we really do not take enough care of the ball as a team. Time and again we could have been comfortable but gave the damn thing away.
(ii) Barkley's indecision when set up by Watkins directly led to the winning goal: if Barkley had taken the shot as soon as he'd received the ball, he would either have scored or the ball would have gone out for a goalkick or corner. Instead he dallied, the ball was taken from him and the ensuing move produced the goal.

A final point: I would not have brought either Barkley or AEG on, preferring to bring in Sanson and Ramsey, to de cure the wide areas.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2021, 02:13:40 PM »
Sanson was injured.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2021, 02:18:20 PM »
6 home defeats on the bounce and desperately need to turn it round?  Players going through a rough patch and not scored for aeons? Fear not, the ever obliging Aston Villa are your ideal next opponents, pants down, bent double, gaping hole, fully lubed, written invitation.

Liverpool looked pretty ordinary by their standards and we chucked that away.   Two points pissed away at Newcastle in injury time, and another one here. 

Smith has to take the blame, Davis should have come on ahead of either Barkley or AEG.  In fact he should have started.  Defence is their weak point, two inexperienced CBs,  Alexander Arnold struggling defensively, and Alison out of form.  Stupid not to go at them.

And if that Cash incident with Kane was a penalty then so was TAA going through Trez.  But then Villa don’t get those do they.
WTH is that about? We can do without neanderthal language I think.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2021, 02:18:52 PM »
Sanson was injured.
So where was Barry?

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2021, 02:24:05 PM »
Sanson was injured.
Aaaahhhh - the flaw in my argument!
Thanks for pointing that out.

Online Skerra

« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2021, 02:34:06 PM »
I think we should put it to Chelsea that as DS is now describing Barkley as a game changer, we are prepared to let him go back to Chelsea, no questions asked, and let us have Tammy in exchange. As long as Chelsea give us a few quid as well to take Tammy off their hands as, they obviously regard him as surplus to requirements. Seriously though, I would love to see Tammy leading the line with Ollie playing off him. Would expect a good 35+ goals between them. Mouthwatering scenario.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #174 on: April 11, 2021, 02:35:39 PM »
Smith knows one way of playing. Watkins will never play off anyone, bar the very odd substitution. It will always be with 2 wide forwards.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #175 on: April 11, 2021, 02:41:25 PM »
Didn’t think we deserved to win but we were good value for a point and looked the team most likely as the second half progressed. As others have said we must look after the ball better to stop inviting unnecessary pressure like the move that led to the winner (same with the equalizer at Newcastle too). It’s become especially apparent without Jack in the side as he’s always a dependable outlet to run with it or keep possession in seemingly impossible situations.

I think we were always going to be investing again this summer but this bumpy run we’ve had has probably highlighted a few additional areas for upgrades that otherwise might not have been on the radar.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #176 on: April 11, 2021, 08:28:54 PM »
Ah, you can't.

I believe at this point in these situations these days one is usually directed to, "do your own research".

True. The thing is, I have. And nobody apart from right-wing commentators uses the term.
Just saying

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #177 on: April 11, 2021, 08:36:05 PM »
Yes, you're right. I should've added 'and right-wing politicians'!

Edit: I was also referring specifically to the UK. Honest.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 08:38:34 PM by Sexual Ealing »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #178 on: April 11, 2021, 08:54:28 PM »
We played way way worse at Brighton (with Grealish). Barely had an attack down there whereas yesterday Konsa had a free header, the goal and Trez very unlucky not to score. And I thought generally we were good second half so agree with DS summary on the game.

Yesterday wouldn't come close to top 5 worst performances of the season.

It was just another disappointing result in the disappointing run we're on.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #179 on: April 11, 2021, 09:31:53 PM »
6 home defeats on the bounce and desperately need to turn it round?  Players going through a rough patch and not scored for aeons? Fear not, the ever obliging Aston Villa are your ideal next opponents, pants down, bent double, gaping hole, fully lubed, written invitation.

Liverpool looked pretty ordinary by their standards and we chucked that away.   Two points pissed away at Newcastle in injury time, and another one here. 

Smith has to take the blame, Davis should have come on ahead of either Barkley or AEG.  In fact he should have started.  Defence is their weak point, two inexperienced CBs,  Alexander Arnold struggling defensively, and Alison out of form.  Stupid not to go at them.

And if that Cash incident with Kane was a penalty then so was TAA going through Trez.  But then Villa don’t get those do they.
WTH is that about? We can do without neanderthal language I think.

He's gone.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal