collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Liverpool - 2 Aston Villa -1 Post Match Thread  (Read 16808 times)

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
Re: Liverpool - 2 Aston Villa -1 Post Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: April 11, 2021, 07:16:23 AM »
I like it! Smith's Subs would be a good, solid middle of the road username for a new poster on here.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #136 on: April 11, 2021, 07:56:57 AM »
MOTD manage to debate TAA's contribution to the game without questioning whether he should have had a penalty awarded against him.   I can't wait till we are back truly as a "top" club and get the benefit of doubt from referees and pundits

Offline NorthYvillan

« Reply #137 on: April 11, 2021, 08:02:51 AM »
I well remember similar phrases being used about Martin O'Neill  - taken us as far as he can; need a change of manager if we're going to take the next step......... i too had my issues with his tactics and choices of players. However, he beat us to it and resigned and the next few years weren't exactly great. Be careful what you wish for regarding Dean Smith?

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #138 on: April 11, 2021, 08:06:16 AM »
I heard a start recently that we had conceded the most shots in the Prem since the start of 2021.

That feels like a stat from the 2019-2020 season but is indicative of, for me at least, the way we are set up makes us too easy to play against. The back 5, occasional Mings error notwithstanding, has been fantastic and Watkins works his socks off.

I can only put this down to the insistence on playing 2 wingers who have been largely peripheral in every game of late. Whether it is El Ghazi, Trez or Traore if we have 2 players in the team who are marginal to the flow of the game week after week then this is going to place the defence under huge pressure.

Solution? Rethink the system or the personnel or both. I just feel that we have regressed since the start of the year and it would do no harm to have a rethink.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2021, 08:16:44 AM »
For me the Trez incident was a definite pen.
Their full back definitely caught Trez and injured him.
If Kane can get one in a similar situation against Cash, when Cash didn't even touch him (it was Kane that connected with Cash), then yesterday's should also have been given. Of course that depends on referees actually doing their job and not being seen to favour sky 6 clubs and it also depends on var being of some actual use in picking up what I can only describe as refereeing bias. I have no confidence in referees or var not awarding that to red scouse if that had been Cash connecting with Jota or Targett connecting with Salah.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2021, 09:08:16 AM »
I well remember similar phrases being used about Martin O'Neill  - taken us as far as he can; need a change of manager if we're going to take the next step......... i too had my issues with his tactics and choices of players. However, he beat us to it and resigned and the next few years weren't exactly great. Be careful what you wish for regarding Dean Smith?
it was true about ONeil, it might be about Smith.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2021, 09:12:16 AM »

I like Smith and want him to stay on, but we'd have gone backwards under O'Neill too. Maybe not as far as quickly, mind.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2021, 09:24:19 AM »
I think there's a difference though. Mon just seemed to think spending more money was the idea. We seem to have a plan this time. We've aleady looked to next season by bringing Sanson in and we added Shakespeare to the coaching team, the youth coach Mark Harrison and were tying our better players down on long term contracts.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2021, 09:30:24 AM »
The difference is that the whole foundations of the club under O’Neill were built on sand, there’s proper bricks and mortar and reinforced concrete this time.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2021, 09:30:47 AM »
The set up yesterday
Flat back 4 sitting fairly deep then

Nakamba
              SJM.                                                                            Luiz

Traore.                                                                                               Trez

Watkins

Then he went

SJM.                                                                     Luiz

Traore. Ramsey                           Barkley.                                        Trez AEG

Watkins

The distance between our wide players and midfield was huge, we were unable to use the press because we were too far away from each other and the the situation was exacerbated by our wingers giving the ball away ( particularly Trare) The 3 midfield players were all over the place.
It looked like a shambles.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 09:32:58 AM by ChicagoLion »

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2021, 09:31:19 AM »
I think we’ve done well this season and Dean deserves more time. But what I would say is if these long sequences of poor form (not specifically losing to Liverpool in isolation) continue to be symptomatic of Dean’s management at some point the owners won’t tolerate it. I hope Dean works out a way to address this.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2021, 09:33:57 AM »
Liverpool’s ability to play through the lines at times yesterday from front to back was frightening. Yes they’ve got bloody good players but our openness was naive in the extreme.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2021, 09:35:07 AM »
The set up yesterday
Flat back 4 sitting fairly deep then

Nakamba
              SJM.                                                                                 Luiz

Traore.                                                                                                         Trez

Watkins

Then he went

SJM.                                                                     Luiz

Traore. Ramsey                           Barkley.                                        Trez AEG

Watkins

The distance between our wide players and midfield was huge, we were unable to use the press because we were too far away from each other and the the situation was exacerbated by our wingers giving the ball away ( particularly Trare) The 3 midfield players were all over the place.
It looked like a shambles.

You can argue that two players going off injured pretty quickly didn't help and Barkley came on just a few minutes before, which might not have been a sub he would have made had he left that one 10 minutes or so.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2021, 09:36:01 AM »
Liverpool’s ability to play through the lines at times yesterday from front to back was frightening. Yes they’ve got bloody good players but our openness was naive in the extreme.
I was trying to show above, it was just straight line passes from defence to attack.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2021, 09:39:39 AM »
Evertonian playing Liverpool. Difference being, if you brought me on for Everton playing against the Noses at Mordor, I'd take scalps.

It's hard to think of a more disappointing player. He's nowhere near the worst player we've ever had, but for talent  wasted he must be up there with Curcic, who at least had an excuse that he was crackers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal