collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1125312 times)

richtheholtender

Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #9855 on: September 03, 2021, 01:19:40 PM »
It's that last part of his tweet. The not understanding the football world. Well, explain away......

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #9856 on: September 03, 2021, 01:27:31 PM »
It's that last part of his tweet. The not understanding the football world. Well, explain away......

What it means is that when you say 'this is my club, my city, my home' and sign a new 5 year contract, what it really means in the football world is calling up your agent and getting a move to whoever will pay you the most money at the first opportunity you get.

Thats the real football world and we were all fools for thinking anything else.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #9857 on: September 03, 2021, 01:51:51 PM »
He's just not advised very well is he? In circumstances like this you just keep your mouth shut. It's easy. Don't do an interview because you won't come out of it well, and certainly don't reply to some Evening Mail journo

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #9858 on: September 03, 2021, 02:13:54 PM »
It's a shit article by a truly shit reporter.  Birmingham Mail / Live are an absolute joke rag.

The reality is Southgate wasn't picking Grealish.  The Phillips and Rice examples mean nothing - there isn't the same level of competition in those positions.

I recall saying at the time it would probably cost us our captain and it did.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #9859 on: September 03, 2021, 02:21:26 PM »
It's a shit article by a truly shit reporter.  Birmingham Mail / Live are an absolute joke rag.

The reality is Southgate wasn't picking Grealish.  The Phillips and Rice examples mean nothing - there isn't the same level of competition in those positions.

No its not, it's a good article that sums the situation, and Ratboy, up perfectly well.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #9860 on: September 03, 2021, 02:23:33 PM »
And is totally vindicated by Ratboys response. You don't understand real football bull.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #9861 on: September 03, 2021, 02:24:15 PM »
I think Preece has switched his professional journalism off there and has written that piece as a fan.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #9862 on: September 03, 2021, 02:24:28 PM »

No its not, it's a good article that sums the situation, and Ratboy, up perfectly well.
It's not and it doesn't.  It panders to a section of the support.  I wouldn't have had you pegged as one of them tbh.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #9863 on: September 03, 2021, 02:26:37 PM »
Oh god don't start with the moral high ground for a bloke that calculated how to leave us while giving it the big one of you routine. He's a shit bag, and not with defending.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #9864 on: September 03, 2021, 02:29:32 PM »
He's just not advised very well is he? In circumstances like this you just keep your mouth shut. It's easy. Don't do an interview because you won't come out of it well, and certainly don't reply to some Evening Mail journo

Do the interview but when you do it don't forget that the club you spent 19 years at was integral to you becoming a £100m player. I think that's the problem Preece and many others have with what he said asnd, more importantly, how it was said, it felt a lot like "If i wasn't a fan I'd have left you bunch of losers ages ago and now I have people around me worthy of my talent". I know I'm overplaying it but it comes across as pretty clear that he's thinking along those lines and can't see why anyone has a problem with it.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9865 on: September 03, 2021, 02:30:35 PM »

Agreed, he sums Greasy's interview up perfectly.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #9866 on: September 03, 2021, 02:31:10 PM »
Oh god don't start with the moral high ground for a bloke that calculated how to leave us while giving it the big one of you routine. He's a shit bag, and not with defending.
There is no way he could have played his exit that would have left you happy.

Not signinging a contract - the ungrateful bastard is running down his contract
Signing a contract but not saying anything - the ungrateful bastard is jis=ust signing the contract as his move fell through
Telling fans how much he loved Villa after he left - the lying weasel bastard, why did he leave then

etc, etc

It was impossible for him to leave without a meltdown one way or another.  Whatever he did or said would have been picked over with a fine toothed comb and thrown back at him.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #9867 on: September 03, 2021, 02:33:12 PM »
Southgate wasn't picking him for England, and now is, after three games for Man City and still no Champions League games. He may very well become a better player there but he isn't now any better than he was with us.

It stinks, we might as well all give up if everytime we get anyone decent with ambition they all feel they need to move to a ESL6 team to get to play for England.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #9868 on: September 03, 2021, 02:33:30 PM »
This is more about Smith than transfers.I can't think of a player who has regressed under Smith.Elmo,El Ghazi and Conor nailed down places in the Championship side and Whelan had a part to play when most of us thought he was finished.
Hause wasn't well regarded by the Wolves fans,Brentford fans thought that Konsa's signing was a bit premature.Eddie Howes couldn't find a place in a leaky defence for Mings.How Howes ? Shades of Cahill and Knight.
The last 3 you might file under Terry but Smith helped to make  that Citeh player worth £100m. .In the first season we were crippled by injuries to very important players,Heaton,McGinn and Wesley but with relegation looking likely ,Smith and more importantly the players didn't panic.
Most buys have been good value,how much are Watkins and Konsa worth ?
Even lesser lights like El Ghazi and Nakamba have kept their value.
Flops only a few and minor ones,Kalinic ,Engels and injury might have scuppered a true assessment of Wesley.
The manager deserves a lot of credit.

Totally agree with this as well.
The other thing that is always thrown at Smith is the G factor and how we’ve gone on long winless runs without him under Smith. On the face of it you can’t argue with it, the results and facts point to this. But I would argue firstly, any team losing a true world class player would suffer, unless your a Man City. But taking a Salah out of Liverpool, despite their other resources would impact them, Spurs in the past have never done that well without Kane, although this may change this season, Chelsea haven’t been the same side without Kante.

Secondly and nearly always missing from the smith is nothing without Grealish discussion, is how good was Grealish on a consistent level until Smith came along. Ok he had injuries as ever, but in those first couple of years in the championship, can anyone seriously remember Grealish putting in a run of consistently good games, cuz I was there and I can’t. Is it really a coincidence that Grealish became this player under smith. Or are the smith decriers really saying that the admittedly hugely talented Grealish just came good of his own accord around about the time smith took over and how lucky was that for smith.
There is no doubt having Grealish really helped smith and it will be a challenge for him going forwards, but there is also no doubt in my mind that the benefit was mutual and we and Grealish has much to be appreciative of smith, for his development of said ratboy.

It's hard to know how much was down to Smith, and how much was down to suddenly playing with a much better standard of player. He went from playing in the same team as the likes of Chester, Jedinak, Elphick and Adomah; to McGinn, Mings, Tuanzebe, El Ghazi and Abraham in the space of a season.

Maybe Risso, but his form palpably improved almost immediately after Smith came in, he wasn’t doing anything from August to October in that season surrounded by all those players you mention (other than Mings)I don’t think it’s a fair analysis to regularly say (not aiming this specifically at you btw) Smith can’t hack it without Grealish, without at least taking on board the idea that it was a mutually beneficial professional relationship and Ratboy wouldn’t of been the influence he was for us without Smith.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9869 on: September 03, 2021, 02:34:01 PM »

Do the interview but when you do it don't forget that the club you spent 19 years at was integral to you becoming a £100m player. I think that's the problem Preece and many others have with what he said asnd, more importantly, how it was said, it felt a lot like "If i wasn't a fan I'd have left you bunch of losers ages ago and now I have people around me worthy of my talent". I know I'm overplaying it but it comes across as pretty clear that he's thinking along those lines and can't see why anyone has a problem with it.

Exactly Paul. It's hugely disrespectful to his former club and team mates, and he needs telling, the horrible little chav. He's played four games for his new club, and lost two of them, the other two being absolute gimmes against the two worst clubs in the division at the time, but all of a sudden his play is suddenly elevated to a whole new level? Absolute fucking cobblers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal