collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Clampy
[Today at 06:17:55 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Re: Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:25:50 PM]

Re: Official Website by Chris Harte
[Today at 06:22:03 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 06:21:29 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Clampy
[Today at 06:21:29 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1125977 times)

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #9165 on: August 29, 2021, 11:39:22 AM »
If a DM doesn't arrive I think it will be Smith's decision undoubtably and he thinks we can carry on playing the same way without ratboy, missing the point that it didn't work without him. He took a hell of a lot of pressure off the likes McGinn & Co defensively because the opposition targeted him. Now they don't. Likewise the whole tempo of our games relied on the fouls committed on him. Whatever the attributes of his replacement(s) they don't add that to the defensive side of our team.

I think it will be more a case of the right player not being available rather than anyone’s decision. We need a player who will make us better, those that fit that criteria and might be on the market will likely have other options and not just in this country who can offer European football now.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #9166 on: August 29, 2021, 11:43:40 AM »
I do wonder if there is a directive at the club for young players to be involved more with the first team and whether this is dictating transfer policy.  It's definitely something I want to see, but think there must be caution taken so that we are not relying on too many of them at a time. 

Offline exigo

« Reply #9167 on: August 29, 2021, 11:44:16 AM »
Buendia's a proper street fight footballer. There was a point yesterday where he shrugged off three or four defenders and pushed through the lines. Last season, Grealish would have taken the foul and the defence would have reset. In a few weeks time, with Bailey, Ings and Watkins piling forward in front of Buendia, we will have the power, guile and finishers to terrify defenders.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #9168 on: August 29, 2021, 11:53:37 AM »
If a DM doesn't arrive I think it will be Smith's decision undoubtably and he thinks we can carry on playing the same way without ratboy, missing the point that it didn't work without him. He took a hell of a lot of pressure off the likes McGinn & Co defensively because the opposition targeted him. Now they don't. Likewise the whole tempo of our games relied on the fouls committed on him. Whatever the attributes of his replacement(s) they don't add that to the defensive side of our team.

I think it will be more a case of the right player not being available rather than anyone’s decision. We need a player who will make us better, those that fit that criteria and might be on the market will likely have other options and not just in this country who can offer European football now.

Maybe, but I do wonder if we're being a bit picky if that is the  case. You don't need to spend 30m+ for a good defensive midfielder to improve our side because the bar is set so low with Nakamba. Loads of options have been mentioned on here and if the likes of Carvalho are available for 18m then you have to wonder why we're not in for them.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #9169 on: August 29, 2021, 12:11:17 PM »
The problem with this 'waiting for the right player' idea is that, if you've designed a risky new system that depends on getting in this new man in that position, then you've staked everything on something you're not sure is going to happen, indeed that your instinct is to resist until it's perfect. If the club really had no plan for DM beyond somehow spending 25m on James Ward Prowse, given how crucial that position is to the new strategy, and how understocked we are there even at the best of times, then that really isn't great.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #9170 on: August 29, 2021, 12:16:44 PM »
Would a defensive midfielder have made any difference yesterday
We didn’t create enough even Dean Smith said that

We bought one of the premiership’s best strikers and gave him nothing
Bailey and Watkins will obviously make a difference
But they are attacking options not defensive midfielders

I’m certainly not against buying that type of player but I think our problems go deeper

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #9171 on: August 29, 2021, 12:21:47 PM »
Second half I didn't feel we kept the ball well enough. Hard to build an attack when you're out of possession.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #9172 on: August 29, 2021, 12:23:22 PM »
Hard to build an attack when the referee awards the opposition a free kick every time you get near the ball.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #9173 on: August 29, 2021, 12:25:37 PM »
I don’t think yesterday’s game provides much of an insight into how we could or should play.
Well I certainly hope it doesn’t.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #9174 on: August 29, 2021, 12:27:10 PM »
Buendia's a proper street fight footballer. There was a point yesterday where he shrugged off three or four defenders and pushed through the lines. Last season, Grealish would have taken the foul and the defence would have reset. In a few weeks time, with Bailey, Ings and Watkins piling forward in front of Buendia, we will have the power, guile and finishers to terrify defenders.

I really like Buendia but I don't think he has anything like the close control like the City player has on the ball. Buendia lost the ball a few times in the second half yesterday that at his best Grealish simply doesnt. Grealish has a yard of pace to get away from players too that Buendia doesn't. Buendia takes risks on the ball and that is something we need. Comparing them is harsh, I prefer to compare Buendia to Barkley (has he retired?).

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #9175 on: August 29, 2021, 12:28:11 PM »
Hard to build an attack when the referee awards the opposition a free kick every time you get near the ball.

It was an effective game plan, masterminded by Johansson. Just fall over whenever we attack, ref stops game.

Job done.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #9176 on: August 29, 2021, 12:28:56 PM »
£15m Curtis Jones ?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #9177 on: August 29, 2021, 12:33:59 PM »
I agree. Cantwell is much closer to a Grealish replacement, one that should Norwich drop I can see us going for next summer.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #9178 on: August 29, 2021, 12:34:44 PM »
£15m Curtis Jones ?

Yes and play him 10. He's creative and knows where the goal is. Would think Liverpool would want at least twice that though.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #9179 on: August 29, 2021, 01:12:36 PM »
Would a defensive midfielder have made any difference yesterday
We didn’t create enough even Dean Smith said that

We bought one of the premiership’s best strikers and gave him nothing
Bailey and Watkins will obviously make a difference
But they are attacking options not defensive midfielders

I’m certainly not against buying that type of player but I think our problems go deeper

With everybody fit though John, we've got loads of options in the attacking part of the pitch. Watkins, Ings, Bailey, Traore, Buendia, El Ghazi and the likes of Philogene-Bidace, Chukwuemeka nd Archer as promising kids. With everybody fit, our defensive central midfielder options are:

Which isn't very good.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal