collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Clampy
[Today at 06:17:55 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Re: Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:25:50 PM]

Re: Official Website by Chris Harte
[Today at 06:22:03 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 06:21:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126016 times)

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #8535 on: August 21, 2021, 11:50:41 AM »
It's true that too much influx can cause disjointedness and undermine team cohesion, even if everyone is a pro and nobody is a bellend. However, I think I'd rather have one more player take their time to get up to speed but actually get there, rather than stick with someone we know to be not up to it like Nakamba.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #8536 on: August 21, 2021, 11:50:53 AM »
I've read some posters quoting Leicester as an example of how it should be done - but they were a completely anomaly.  An utterly one-off event in the modern game.  Trying to 'do a Leicester' isn't a plan when you have mega bucks owners who keep saying that our ambition is CL football. 

We need to spend.  Massively. More than the money we've spent already. 

I don’t think people are using their league win as an example, more how they sign players often ahead of when they’re needed.  They’ve sold Maguire, Kante, Mahrez, Chillwell over the years and arguably still grown as a club.  They’re about to expand their stadium whilst still winning trophies too.  It’s impressive what they’ve done.

They’ve bought phenomenally well, which is another thing people underestimate the difficulty of. Otherwise there’d be many more clubs following that ‘model’ and getting into Europe.

Of course it’s a bit chicken and egg in terms of them buying well because they have European football to attract players with.

Not saying we can’t emulate it - it is the ideal, sustainable model. Just bloody difficult to pull off.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #8537 on: August 21, 2021, 11:53:45 AM »
Don't get me wrong I'd like a DM. Even a CM, but both is just not gonna happen imo. I just can't see us spending another 60+m on players this summer. 25-30m tops, possibly a DM on loan to buy is how I see it, IF Smith thinks its a major problem. I don't think he does.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #8538 on: August 21, 2021, 11:55:48 AM »
Can only see 1 player coming in, maybe. Think you're kidding yourselves thinking two will come in. Doesn't really matter about the whole FFP thing, you either run a club as a viable concern or you go the whole ManCity hog and maybe it blows up in your face like Lerner. I've not seen any indication NSWE are going to run us like  that.  The vast majority of the spend was getting us in the PL and keeping us there.

How much did we spend to get promoted?

Doesn't matter. Overall we're about 200m down including this summer I think. If someone has the grand total i'd be interested but it's not small change by any measure.

Well, you specified that we spent the vast majority getting us to the PL and keeping us there. I couldn’t remember us spending a lot to get there as you said but cool then, it doesn’t matter.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 12:07:04 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #8539 on: August 21, 2021, 11:59:46 AM »
I'm not really sure what it is, money or lack of ideas on who to buy, or a genuine feeling from the manager that we're fine. Either way, i doubt it'll happen as well. It doesn't necesssarily need a fortune throwing at it, just a plan on how to build a good team although we know money is usually the best way these days. At the moment we're not there and it looks unlikely we will be on 1/9.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #8540 on: August 21, 2021, 12:01:51 PM »
Can only see 1 player coming in, maybe. Think you're kidding yourselves thinking two will come in. Doesn't really matter about the whole FFP thing, you either run a club as a viable concern or you go the whole ManCity hog and maybe it blows up in your face like Lerner. I've not seen any indication NSWE are going to run us like  that.  The vast majority of the spend was getting us in the PL and keeping us there.

Doesn't matter. Overall we're about 200m down including this summer I think. If someone has the grand total i'd be interested but it's not small change by any measure.

Well, you specified that we spent the vast majority getting us to the PL ans keeping us there. I couldn’t remember us spending a lot to get there as you said but cool then, it doesn’t matter.

Wasn't that due to financial circumstances rather than them not wanting to spend? When we got up with a load of loans, old men and deadwood they put their hand in their pocket to give a chance of staying up, which is all you can ask really. There's not a promoted team who've ever had that backing since City.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #8541 on: August 21, 2021, 12:04:42 PM »
There is an argument to say that the extra money from the PL and the extra value added to the club will have compensated some of that but yes, a lot of owners don't bother. Think of the poor old Albion :-)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #8542 on: August 21, 2021, 12:11:02 PM »

Well, you specified that we spent the vast majority getting us to the PL ans keeping us there. I couldn’t remember us spending a lot to get there as you said but cool then, it doesn’t matter.

Wasn't that due to financial circumstances rather than them not wanting to spend? When we got up with a load of loans, old men and deadwood they put their hand in their pocket to give a chance of staying up, which is all you can ask really. There's not a promoted team who've ever had that backing since City.

Whatever the circumstances, we seem to have established that the vast majority of spend wasn’t on getting us to the PL. Keeping us there, about half. And nothing spent yet on improving us from 11th.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #8543 on: August 21, 2021, 12:18:19 PM »

Whatever the circumstances, we seem to have established that the vast majority of spend wasn’t on getting us to the PL. Keeping us there, about half. And nothing spent yet on improving us from 11th.

Whatever way you look at it it's about 65m net per season since they arrived by my admittedly rough calculations. Seeing they haven't got CL revenue, have sold basically 1 player worth anything since they arrived, and don't look likely to spend 300m or be able to attract the players that could overtake Chelsea, City, Liverpool, ManU, what do you want them to do that makes them ambitious enough for you. Another 60m this summer?

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #8544 on: August 21, 2021, 12:46:54 PM »
NsWE know what they are doing.  They willl know that they can’t promise the world and not deliver - but likewise this is a marathon and not a sprint. 
We don’t know how ready the likes of JBP and Chuck are - that could be like two new signings. 
If they don’t bring anyone more in it’s because on weighing up the pros and cons they decided it best not too.  It that proves to be wrong - then it will be addressed

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #8545 on: August 21, 2021, 12:53:39 PM »
People are quite happy to give City and Chelsea and their like infinite grief for signing all the talent, having bloated squads where palyers of talent won't get enough game time and throwing loads of money at a problem rather than trying to develop their own talent.  When it comes to Villa though their answer is to spaff another £100mill on two players who may not be the right fit and will definetly encumber the development of young british players from the academy.  It seems as if you CAN have youyr cake and eat it, but only if you don't mind being a two faced lard ass.

edited for frustrated spelling
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 01:02:02 PM by DrGonzo »

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #8546 on: August 21, 2021, 01:00:11 PM »
Cake and lard...gross...

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #8547 on: August 21, 2021, 01:05:57 PM »
Someone else said this but one thing we don't want to be doing is adding 5-6 players every transfer window either.

I've been saying that for ages and it's why I'm not bothered about adding an attacking midfielder as some think we need. I think we have plenty of options in the front 3/4 that need game time to settle in and adding another will just make that harder.

DM is different, we haven't got anyone trying to settle in to the squad there (maybe Chuk but we seem to bring him on as more of a 10 when he plays) but instead we have lots of players who are established in the squad and a gap that pretty clearly needs filling.

More worrying for me has been the mix of links we've seen, JWP and Winks suggest a very different direction than Sarr, Anguissa or Doucoure. The latter fill the gap in the squad for a physical aggressive DM who replace Nakamba but the other 2, regardless of what we think of them as players, suggest we're more interested in 2/3 8s rather than a specific DM. I don't like that the thinking seems to be muddled in what we're going for.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #8548 on: August 21, 2021, 01:06:13 PM »

Whatever way you look at it it's about 65m net per season since they arrived by my admittedly rough calculations. Seeing they haven't got CL revenue, have sold basically 1 player worth anything since they arrived, and don't look likely to spend 300m or be able to attract the players that could overtake Chelsea, City, Liverpool, ManU, what do you want them to do that makes them ambitious enough for you. Another 60m this summer?

They said Champions League. I want them to do what it takes. Having a couple of top midfielders would help massively. How much they’d cost I don’t know but yeah, I should think they could improve on the present first team era for £50/60m.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #8549 on: August 21, 2021, 01:07:07 PM »
What’s in it for the manager to publicly declare our transfer plans? He’s hardly going to tell us we need certain players or types of players. And as cold as football business can be has to go back and deal with the human side of existing players who have been bought and want to play. There is also squad size issues, so if we sell a player a spot comes available. And finally it’s not the end of the window yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal