collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126314 times)

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #8505 on: August 21, 2021, 10:10:57 AM »
Smith isn’t just communicating to villa fans.  Hopefully* he is trying to give the impression to other clubs that we are skint so prices quoted are reasonable.  Secondly, gives the current players a boost that they are part of the plans.

* we would be nuts if we do not buy a DCM.  It’s been a problem ever since we returned to the PL.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #8506 on: August 21, 2021, 10:14:07 AM »
Defensive midfielder AND attacking midfielder, please. Even if we sign one or the other we have still had a poor transfer window.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8507 on: August 21, 2021, 10:15:28 AM »
Defensive midfielder AND attacking midfielder, please. Even if we sign one or the other we have still had a poor transfer window.

Why would it have been a poor transfer window if we sign another midfielder?

Offline TonyD

« Reply #8508 on: August 21, 2021, 10:16:17 AM »
We have had about 4 transfer windows to sign a midfield chopper.  No excuses.   

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #8509 on: August 21, 2021, 10:18:00 AM »

Because we need both.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #8510 on: August 21, 2021, 10:25:32 AM »
We have a glaring need for a Defensive midfielder. One good defensive midfielder would give us the platform we need.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #8511 on: August 21, 2021, 10:31:16 AM »

Because we need both.

We do, but I think we need the defensive one more as at least that could release McGinn to play further forward.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #8512 on: August 21, 2021, 10:31:19 AM »
So I’ve been thinking about this last night - as Mrs Beard had an early night. 

The owners are running this properly - and clearly want to make us a force again.  I think we need to not mix up the performance of staff with ambitions of the owners.  There not like Doug - where everything goes through them.  They have set up a management structure and put people in place to perform tasks.

We saw with Jesus that they weren’t happy with his performance so he went.  But they have backed all there staff up to the point where they can’t ask for more.  I would imagine if Lange had more targets to bring in to match the criteria then they will back them.

If at the end of the season we haven’t met the targets the board set and they think it’s because of recruitment - then Lange will be fired.  If they think it’s down to coaching then Dean will go, and if it’s broader than that then purslow will go.

They clearly put faith in the people they employee - and only act if they are not performing as required rather.

So I don’t think the issue a lack of ambition or change in ambition   - it’s the judgement of the management team.  And ultimately it then who have there heads on the line

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #8513 on: August 21, 2021, 10:33:00 AM »

Because we need both.

We do, but I think we need the defensive one more as at least that could release McGinn to play further forward.

That might work I reckon.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #8514 on: August 21, 2021, 10:34:56 AM »
I've read some posters quoting Leicester as an example of how it should be done - but they were a completely anomaly.  An utterly one-off event in the modern game.  Trying to 'do a Leicester' isn't a plan when you have mega bucks owners who keep saying that our ambition is CL football. 

We need to spend.  Massively. More than the money we've spent already. 

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #8515 on: August 21, 2021, 10:35:18 AM »
Exactly.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8516 on: August 21, 2021, 10:41:16 AM »

Because we need both.

That might work I reckon.

I agree with Monty. Buy a proper DM, and then all of a sudden the likes of McGinn will look much better. When you have two players doing a job at 75% of their ability because it's not their natural game, then the whole team looks worse.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #8517 on: August 21, 2021, 10:42:34 AM »

Because we need both.

That’s my view too Monty.  With McGinn’s energy he can be both an 8 defensively and 10 when attacking.  Barkley never had the fitness/awareness/inclination to drop in when the opposition were on top so even last year we risked being over-run unless the wingers really dropped back.

Offline Dante Lavelli

« Reply #8518 on: August 21, 2021, 10:49:42 AM »
I've read some posters quoting Leicester as an example of how it should be done - but they were a completely anomaly.  An utterly one-off event in the modern game.  Trying to 'do a Leicester' isn't a plan when you have mega bucks owners who keep saying that our ambition is CL football. 

I don’t think people are using their league win as an example, more how they sign players often ahead of when they’re needed.  They’ve sold Maguire, Kante, Mahrez, Chillwell over the years and arguably still grown as a club.  They’re about to expand their stadium whilst still winning trophies too.  It’s impressive what they’ve done.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #8519 on: August 21, 2021, 11:03:38 AM »

I don’t think people are using their league win as an example, more how they sign players often ahead of when they’re needed.  They’ve sold Maguire, Kante, Mahrez, Chillwell over the years and arguably still grown as a club.  They’re about to expand their stadium whilst still winning trophies too.  It’s impressive what they’ve done.

It is impressive, no doubt - and they actually won the feckin league!  But to challenge, consistently year in year out, takes an outlay we all think is there to, errr, lay out.  WITH Grealish we needed to go nuts to get into 'the club'. Without him we need to spend even more than before.  So if we are going into this season without buying a top quality midfielder or two, I will reserve my judgement as to just how ambitious we actually are.  I know some on here will think that overly harsh, but it is the way I feel.

I sometimes think some fans are just a bit uncomfortable with the Villa breaking out of our current mould as an also ran. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal