collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:43:32 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:43:32 PM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:41:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Re: Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126053 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #8355 on: August 20, 2021, 08:20:05 AM »
We should be moving heaven and earth to sign top players while bigger clubs are skint. 

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #8356 on: August 20, 2021, 08:20:51 AM »
I think we’ve bought players who will give us what ESR offers.
We’re in a position now where we have some depth to the squad which provides us with more options than we had last season. I’m sure that if the right player is available we will still look to strengthen but we should not get into buying players who aren’t an upgrade on what we have just because can afford them and then have them block the progress of our youngsters.
I don’t share the despondency of some on this site and I’m looking forward to watching us and seeing this new group develop.
I agree, Chris. The challenge is how we blend the players we have - the set-up of the team and the way Smith wants it to play are the big issues; about which we'll know more after tomorrow, perhaps.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #8357 on: August 20, 2021, 08:21:58 AM »
Midfielders were clearly high on our list, with JWP and ESR, so why have we stopped now??

In fairness, we may not have.

A bit of time left.

I think we’ve bought players who will give us what ESR offers.

We’re in a position now where we have some depth to the squad which provides us with more options than we had last season. I’m sure that if the right player is available we will still look to strengthen but we should not get into buying players who aren’t an upgrade on what we have just because can afford them and then have them block the progress of our youngsters.

I don’t share the despondency of some on this site and I’m looking forward to watching us and seeing this new group develop.

100% agree with this.
Think we would all like to see a defensive midfielder recruited but it absolutely has to be one who is better than the players we have currently who play that role. 

Online frank black

« Reply #8358 on: August 20, 2021, 08:27:41 AM »
Deadline day drama for Villa!

I suspect that we have made enquiries about players, but we are being held to ransom. Perhaps we may get some call backs when they realise we aren’t budging on price.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #8359 on: August 20, 2021, 08:31:31 AM »
Dissapointing about JWP, even though I wasn't sure he was exactly what we needed and certainly £50m was too much.

We've had our fun with Arsenal, but they've retained ESR, spent their money and secured who the ones they wanted (White & Odegaard).

I like the players we've bought but if our business is done I don't think this can be considered a great window.  I'm not sure on the thinking re a DM, but Smith and the recruitment team seem to be the only peole thinking we don't need one.  I guess it's Luiz, who I do rate but he needs to be more consistent and cut out the silly errors.

We've replaced a left winger with two right wingers and a (very good) striker.  All good players, delighted to have them but if we don't fill the glaring gaps then I think we're going to stuggle.  If we have to change system to shoe horn them all in then again I think we may struggle.  I really wanted another stiker, but for squad depth, not to play 2 up front when we don't seem to have the midfield to carry it off.  We still don't have a natural '10'

I hope we've still got a rabbit in the hat to pull out before deadline day. 

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #8360 on: August 20, 2021, 08:44:53 AM »
I just hope we're looking abroad as i don't think there is much money there. Maybe 30m tops. ESR bid for me was spot on for what he was (kid with a few games). JWP was hopelessly under the money so no idea what was going on there although we bid pre-ratboy departure which added 10m on his price. I'm sure Smith was well aware of the targets this summer and what he viewed as a priority so seeing we haven't actually bid for DM as far as I can tell, he's either happy with Nakamba or doesn't think its an urgent priority or  thinks a normal CM can do that job. My money is on the last one.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8361 on: August 20, 2021, 08:46:36 AM »
I just hope we're looking abroad as i don't think there is much money there. Maybe 30m tops. ESR bid for me was spot on for what he was (kid with a few games). JWP was hopelessly under the money so no idea what was going on there although we bid pre-ratboy departure which added 10m on his price. I'm sure Smith was well aware of the targets this summer and what he viewed as a priority so seeing we haven't actually bid for DM as far as I can tell, he's either happy with Nakamba or doesn't think its an urgent priority or  thinks a normal CM can do that job. My money is on the last one.

You could be right. I just hope that it doesn't lead to Dean Smith getting the sack this side of Christmas.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #8362 on: August 20, 2021, 08:48:40 AM »
Agree with this, If a defensive midfielder becomes availeable and would be an upgrade then fine, but i would much rather try other squad players in that position than buy someone that doesn't improve us.

This is a horrendous idea. How many matches do we lose in the meantime playing random central midfielders every week?

Just identify a brilliant central midfielder. Go and sign him. We are fucking rich, we have about twenty scouts, how hard can it be?

Offline djbone

• GM : 16.03.2025
« Reply #8363 on: August 20, 2021, 09:00:10 AM »

Also, why is JG being called Joe? Am I missing something obvious here ?

I seem to have missed this memo too?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #8364 on: August 20, 2021, 09:02:47 AM »

It's because grown adults can't bring themselves to call our former best player Jack Grealish.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8365 on: August 20, 2021, 09:06:14 AM »

Greasy Ratboy traitorous bastard.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #8366 on: August 20, 2021, 09:06:35 AM »
We've replaced a left winger with two right wingers and a (very good) striker. 
Well, we've replaced a left-sided ball-player who could play anywhere with 2 excellent players who can play off both feet, so I think your assertion above is misleading.
Not that I disagree with your main points, which are that we still do need more MF backbone and that we should not be shoehorning players into slots which do not do them or the team justice.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #8367 on: August 20, 2021, 09:07:04 AM »

You could be right. I just hope that it doesn't lead to Dean Smith getting the sack this side of Christmas.

Well that's my fear really. If we've bought the ratboy replacement (whoever that is) then is he going to carry on playing as we did before, because we can't play that way without ratboy. You need a DM or a stronger CM than we got away with when Grealish was there or preferably change it. The formation suited Grealish and was built around his strengths as a one-off. I was hopeful when Ings arrived he was going to bin it but i'm not sure he is

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #8368 on: August 20, 2021, 09:07:10 AM »

It's because grown adults can't bring themselves to call our former best player Jack Grealish.
well its kinder than some names. I think Jo is a bit wank though.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #8369 on: August 20, 2021, 09:11:50 AM »
Time will tell I guess. I think the last 3/4 weeks have been pretty shambolic compared to the way the club had operated since NSWE took over, and if we don't add any further signings the next 3-4 months are going to be pretty rocky.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal