collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Drummond
[Today at 10:02:51 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:55:15 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by ASHTONVILLA
[Today at 09:50:00 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 09:48:01 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Steve67
[Today at 09:35:45 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:32:09 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Tayls_7
[Today at 09:11:10 PM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 08:51:40 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126270 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #8340 on: August 19, 2021, 10:39:26 PM »
By us buying Ings they are in a better position to improve his contract.
I think he was the target but we have got Ings.

As an interesting question, would people have preferred JWP or Ings if we could only have bought one?

Ings for me. I’ve always rated him highly since he got over his long term injuries and we only had one centre forward of note at the start of the window whereas I think McGinn, Sanson, Luiz and Ramsey all range from slightly to very similar to JWP.

Ings without question. He guarantees goals. He has played 141 Premier League games and scored 56. A rate of 0.4 per game. 

Offline LeonW

« Reply #8341 on: August 19, 2021, 10:54:46 PM »

As an interesting question, would people have preferred JWP or Ings if we could only have bought one?

Ings for me. I’ve always rated him highly since he got over his long term injuries and we only had one centre forward of note at the start of the window whereas I think McGinn, Sanson, Luiz and Ramsey all range from slightly to very similar to JWP.

Ings without question. He guarantees goals. He has played 141 Premier League games and scored 56. A rate of 0.4 per game.

Considering our problem with strikers over the last few years (including viable other options) I'm in the Ings camp myself, particularly as in my opinion, JWP wouldn't have solved our midfield problems.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #8342 on: August 19, 2021, 10:59:59 PM »
It's a bit odd that the Doucoure chap had liked a load of posts from people wanting him to join villa too on social media. Maybe he's just a friendly chap.

Offline SirSteveUK

« Reply #8343 on: August 19, 2021, 11:56:11 PM »
I would be keen to see Villa buy Sanches and then mould him. There is a real player in there.
I hear he is a bit shitty

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #8344 on: August 20, 2021, 06:31:11 AM »

Considering our problem with strikers over the last few years (including viable other options) I'm in the Ings camp myself, particularly as in my opinion, JWP wouldn't have solved our midfield problems.
One possibility is that Joe wanted us to sign JWP, like he did Barkley, and so we were in for him. Once he'd gone, we already knew that they were more open to selling Ings so we went and got him instead.

Dunno if that's the case or not, but it's consistent with what Joe was saying prior to the transfer and explains why there was no sniff of us signing Ings.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #8345 on: August 20, 2021, 06:46:00 AM »

One possibility is that Joe wanted us to sign JWP, like he did Barkley, and so we were in for him. Once he'd gone, we already knew that they were more open to selling Ings so we went and got him instead.

Dunno if that's the case or not, but it's consistent with what Joe was saying prior to the transfer and explains why there was no sniff of us signing Ings.

One thing is for sure; the £25m the media quoted that we bid for JWP was never going to be accepted. If the reports were correct (big ‘if’), it struck me as very odd that the club thought (even as an opening bid) that it would be close to what Southampton would accept.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #8346 on: August 20, 2021, 06:51:04 AM »
Midfielders were clearly high on our list, with JWP and ESR, so why have we stopped now??

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #8347 on: August 20, 2021, 06:55:14 AM »
People slammed Grealish for lack of loyalty and now people on here are slamming Ward-Prowse and Smith-Rowe for showing their loyalty to their clubs.

Ok.

Offline wolfman999

« Reply #8348 on: August 20, 2021, 07:35:27 AM »
People slammed Grealish for lack of loyalty and now people on here are slamming Ward-Prowse and Smith-Rowe for showing their loyalty to their clubs.

Ok.

No problem with the loyalty shown by these two although I always thought we were being used by ESRs agent to get a better deal out of Arsenal. Then that's what he's paid for I guess.

Also, why is JG being called Joe? Am I missing something obvious here ?

Online andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #8349 on: August 20, 2021, 07:37:27 AM »

Ok.
I don’t think I’ve read a single comment on here where someone has ‘slammed’ either player for showing loyalty to their clubs.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #8350 on: August 20, 2021, 07:38:37 AM »
Midfielders were clearly high on our list, with JWP and ESR, so why have we stopped now??

In fairness, we may not have.

A bit of time left.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #8351 on: August 20, 2021, 07:40:48 AM »
I think it's great from JWP, but I think there's will be a release clause in there. ESR was only ever using the interest for a better deal.

In an ideal world we still need a proper left sided creative forward as well as a big strong holding mid. I'm not convinced Ward Prowse was the answer. If you could get Doucoure and and Cantwell for the same money, we'd have a much better balance in the squad.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #8352 on: August 20, 2021, 07:51:22 AM »
I still dream of Dennis Mortimer breaking up the play against Liverpool and surging forward  under floodlights towards the Holte end.
Maybe it was only a dream, as I can not remember if we scored.
But that is the type of player I want/we need
I am going to have a drink to celebrate my memory
Thanks for the Christmas present Ron

On through to Mortimers who's onside .
Could it be number two? Yes!
Morley beats Money too easily, Gary Shaw, Withe.
And Villa take the lead!
Happy new year Steamer, that’s my all time favourite commentary moment!

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #8353 on: August 20, 2021, 07:57:25 AM »

In fairness, we may not have.

A bit of time left.

I think we’ve bought players who will give us what ESR offers.

We’re in a position now where we have some depth to the squad which provides us with more options than we had last season. I’m sure that if the right player is available we will still look to strengthen but we should not get into buying players who aren’t an upgrade on what we have just because can afford them and then have them block the progress of our youngsters.

I don’t share the despondency of some on this site and I’m looking forward to watching us and seeing this new group develop.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #8354 on: August 20, 2021, 08:13:07 AM »
Agree with this, If a defensive midfielder becomes availeable and would be an upgrade then fine, but i would much rather try other squad players in that position than buy someone that doesn't improve us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal