collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Clampy
[Today at 06:17:55 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Re: Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:25:50 PM]

Re: Official Website by Chris Harte
[Today at 06:22:03 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 06:21:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126026 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #7710 on: August 14, 2021, 10:51:52 AM »
Smith said that the money from Ratboy allowed us to sign Bailey and Ings. If we end up not spending another penny this summer, IMO our ambition doesn't appear quite what is being exclaimed, unless FPP has caught up with us.

If we don't spend anymore money, it might not have anything to do with ambition but maybe the players we want not being available. We've spent nearly £90m so far this window. That's hardly a lack of ambition.

It certainly will be, based upon receiving 100 mil. I would hope we get a really good central midfielder in, which would be vital if we are to trouble the top 5-8 positions. If Bissouma is available, he would be ideal.

I'm not suggesting we don't need anyone else, because we do but like Chris said, there's no point in just buying anybody for the sake of it. If you think after spending nearly £90m this window we lack ambition, then you are slowly turning into an Arsenal Tarquin.

? We’ve just spent 90 mil from a player sale, why does that make me a Tarquin. Strange comment, spending within our means is sensible, but not a sign of ambition. So yes if we did just reinvest the Grealish monies most would be disappointed.

Because you are accusing the club of lacking ambition if we don't do what you want and sign another player. It's straying into Tarquin territory.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #7711 on: August 14, 2021, 10:54:51 AM »
In fairness, you can't say that spending £90 million shows ambition when we have received £100 million. However, I'd say the previous seasons put their ambition beyond doubt. I still reckon we will sign at least one player by the end of the transfer window and, if we don't, we have money to strengthen in January if need be.

If the manager/Board have decided there is no value this year because clubs like Southampton and Norwich want ridiculous money for their players and we would rather wait than get ripped off, that isn't the end of the world, either.

Still, personally I'd rather spend big. While the threat of the Super League remains, every year we go without qualifying for the Champions League increases the chance that we might never play in it.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 10:56:24 AM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline DC1874

« Reply #7712 on: August 14, 2021, 10:58:13 AM »
I think we are at a very precarious point in the NSWE journey. The teams we want to catch and overtake are now saying "Fuck FFP". Put simply we have to do the same or the penny will drop in certain players minds i.e. Martinez, Mings, Watkins that next summer is the time for them to "do a Grealish". We drew a line and Shitty crossed it - once over the Rubicon what's to stop the other legions of the Scab 6 to do the same?

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #7713 on: August 14, 2021, 11:17:09 AM »
We still have a few likely to leave. Guilbert, Hourihane, Wesley and maybe even Nakamba (if the long awaited DCM comes in) and AEG possibly. Smith has said a few likely to leave on loan which I presume are the first three but we could look to cash in on the last two possibly.

Lots of personnel change in the squad this summer.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7714 on: August 14, 2021, 11:19:39 AM »
Not to be picky, but according to the Villa website, Smith didn't say no.  He said: 'we're quite satisfied with where we are with the squad at the moment'.  I'm satisfied too, for today, but come Monday, I want us to be heavily involved with a couple more players incoming please!

Well he says it in the actual real life interview, very clearly.

He does often start the answer to most questions with either, "yeah, no..." or "no, yeah".

This wasn't the case there though, he was asked a specific question, and very clearly answered "no, we're satisfied with where we are."

Online frank black

« Reply #7715 on: August 14, 2021, 11:22:05 AM »
Smith said that the money from Ratboy allowed us to sign Bailey and Ings. If we end up not spending another penny this summer, IMO our ambition doesn't appear quite what is being exclaimed, unless FPP has caught up with us.

If we don't spend anymore money, it might not have anything to do with ambition but maybe the players we want not being available. We've spent nearly £90m so far this window. That's hardly a lack of ambition.

It certainly will be, based upon receiving 100 mil. I would hope we get a really good central midfielder in, which would be vital if we are to trouble the top 5-8 positions. If Bissouma is available, he would be ideal.

I'm not suggesting we don't need anyone else, because we do but like Chris said, there's no point in just buying anybody for the sake of it. If you think after spending nearly £90m this window we lack ambition, then you are slowly turning into an Arsenal Tarquin.

? We’ve just spent 90 mil from a player sale, why does that make me a Tarquin. Strange comment, spending within our means is sensible, but not a sign of ambition. So yes if we did just reinvest the Grealish monies most would be disappointed.

Because you are accusing the club of lacking ambition if we don't do what you want and sign another player. It's straying into Tarquin territory.

I’m not accusing them of lacking ambition, I’m simply stating that spending what you have coming in is not a sign of ambition, whereas you stated in your first point that spending 90mil this summer is a sign of ambition.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7716 on: August 14, 2021, 11:26:05 AM »
'Not a sign of ambition' sounds pretty much like saying  'lacking ambition' to me. There's not a great deal of difference.

£90m is a lot of money regardless of where its come from. A few years ago we couldnt even pay the tax man.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7717 on: August 14, 2021, 11:37:41 AM »
I think I’d look at the players themselves rather than the figures.

Buendia - wanted by a direct competitor, with a relatively recent record of success. Picked Villa - good sign.

Bailey - serious talent who has been linked with lots of top clubs.

Ings - clearly wanted to step up a level and sees Villa as matching his ambitions.

These players wouldn’t be going to a club that hadn’t sold them and ambitious vision.

Now in my view, as others have said, we still need a quality addition in centre mid and a back up keeper. But I think we’ll deliver that.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #7718 on: August 14, 2021, 11:43:02 AM »
With a couple of weeks left in the transfer market the best way of attracting top players is to win our first matches convincingly, starting today
Show we mean business so we are ambitious from the start

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7719 on: August 14, 2021, 11:50:25 AM »
We know full well that the club, Dean included, straight up lie with bare faces and clean consciences where ongoing transfers are concerned. Nothing they say in the media regarding moves should be listened to really.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #7720 on: August 14, 2021, 11:53:13 AM »
I think we are at a very precarious point in the NSWE journey. The teams we want to catch and overtake are now saying "Fuck FFP". Put simply we have to do the same or the penny will drop in certain players minds i.e. Martinez, Mings, Watkins that next summer is the time for them to "do a Grealish". We drew a line and Shitty crossed it - once over the Rubicon what's to stop the other legions of the Scab 6 to do the same?

If we have players under contract then if a top player gets poached,the other club will have to pay an exorbitant fee which will only be afforded by Citeh,Man U,Chelsea and possibly Liverpool.
Leicester lost  stars like Mahrez,Kante ,Maguire ,Chilwell and er.. Drinkwater to those clubs but they have prospered.
Developing young players and signing players who can improve with the club like Watkins,Luiz,Cash,Targett,Konsa and Bailey means the club will continue to progress.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #7721 on: August 14, 2021, 12:14:24 PM »
Seems to be some talk of us signing Chukwuemeka snr from Northampton.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

« Reply #7722 on: August 14, 2021, 12:23:29 PM »
Not too worried about another GK. The ones we've been linked with so far are all a lot worse than Steer, so presumably 3rd choice. If we don't get one, Sinisalo can cover.

Would like someone to compete on the left wing and definitely a CM

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #7723 on: August 14, 2021, 12:24:06 PM »
Seems to be some talk of us signing Chukwuemeka snr from Northampton.

Highly coveted though his current first team record doesn't look great. Still, would probably be cheap and if it works, great. If not, you haven't lost much. I think this would also help persuade Carney, who looks destined for the top, that his future lies at Villa so would be a sensible acquisition all round.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #7724 on: August 14, 2021, 12:31:17 PM »

If we have players under contract then if a top player gets poached,the other club will have to pay an exorbitant fee which will only be afforded by Citeh,Man U,Chelsea and possibly Liverpool.
Leicester lost  stars like Mahrez,Kante ,Maguire ,Chilwell and er.. Drinkwater to those clubs but they have prospered.
Developing young players and signing players who can improve with the club like Watkins,Luiz,Cash,Targett,Konsa and Bailey means the club will continue to progress.
You're always gonna lose top players. Even if we make top4, clubs like City aren't going to say "well we better leave them alone now". Would take us 10 years or more of winning stuff and qualifying for the CL to get to that point where very few clubs will look on us as a smaller fish. Trick at this stage is buying players who will be 1st teamers so we don't stand still and being ruthless with the existing players. That was the problem with MON, not that we lost players but that he stopped improving the rest of the 1st team and just bought loads of squad players instead. I would hope Dean is looking for an upgrade for half of the current 1st team over the next couple of seasons if they don't improve.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal