collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.  (Read 1126319 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Summer Transfer Thread and Gustavo Cisneros Type Rumours.
« Reply #7500 on: August 11, 2021, 10:57:27 AM »
Thing is, Mings is the obvious choice.  He's been our vice captain when Jack was out and is a natural leader.  Picking anybody else seems to me to be an uneccessary kick in the bollocks to one of our most important players and I just don't see any reason to go down that route.  If there was somebody competeing for Mings place then there would be an argument to make it Konsa etc.  But Mings is 100% first choice this season at least, so is the natural choice.  More than that, I think he's the right choice and I'd be delighted for him and proud to have him captaining the club.

edit - I guess this should be on the captain thread, but seemed to be being discussed here.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 10:59:35 AM by chrisw1 »

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #7501 on: August 11, 2021, 11:03:28 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but Hampshire Live have reported an interview with Southamptn CEO stating there's no prospect of them selling JWP this wndo.  It's the sort of statement you can go back on.  I'd consider this one to be dead now.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-james-ward-5770149

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #7502 on: August 11, 2021, 11:16:26 AM »
On the defensive midfielder apparently Bayern are willing to let Corentin Tolisso go.

Would fit the part pretty well if we could convince him.

Had a bad injury I think. Wonder what they'd want for him? I guess wages would be high.

In 2018. Played in about 30/40% of the league games he's been available for since coming back. £10m asking price apparently

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #7503 on: August 11, 2021, 11:17:17 AM »
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but Hampshire Live have reported an interview with Southamptn CEO stating there's no prospect of them selling JWP this wndo.  It's the sort of statement you can go back on.  I'd consider this one to be dead now.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-transfer-james-ward-5770149

Yes I guess this would only change if he really wanted to leave 

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #7504 on: August 11, 2021, 11:20:25 AM »

Yes I guess this would only change if he really wanted to leave 

And if he pushed for a move after the CEO has said this (which I don't think he well tbh), how would we feel about him given he would effectively be doing the same as Jack did to us?  Time to move on to other targets.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #7505 on: August 11, 2021, 11:22:12 AM »
On the defensive midfielder apparently Bayern are willing to let Corentin Tolisso go.

Would fit the part pretty well if we could convince him.

Had a bad injury I think. Wonder what they'd want for him? I guess wages would be high.

In 2018. Played in about 30/40% of the league games he's been available for since coming back. £10m asking price apparently

Really? Wow. Gotta be worth looking at for that price.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7506 on: August 11, 2021, 11:23:43 AM »

And if he pushed for a move after the CEO has said this (which I don't think he well tbh), how would we feel about him given he would effectively be doing the same as Jack did to us?  Time to move on to other targets.

If we limit ourselves to only signing players who the selling club are happy to lose, I don't we're going to progress very quickly.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7507 on: August 11, 2021, 11:25:14 AM »
Yeah, the way we wazz on about him is like Blue Moon self-entitled Citeh fans assuming Grealish was joining them for the last few weeks/months.

For Saints' PR and in-house mood, it would be suicide to sell him. Let's move on.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #7508 on: August 11, 2021, 11:27:39 AM »

If we limit ourselves to only signing players who the selling club are happy to lose, I don't we're going to progress very quickly.

Exactly.  We are already doing what other clubs further up and down the food chain are doing.  Pretending we are any better is denial.  I must say though, that I've thought it unlikely we'd get another big player from Saints first 11 after Ings.

We still do need improvements if we are serious about Europe.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #7509 on: August 11, 2021, 11:48:08 AM »

I'm not saying that at all, but after this statement, if he agitated for a move to us when all the signs are he loves it there and is happy with a 5yr deal, he would be just as much of a snake to them as Jack is to us.  Not that I think he will.  I reckon we will sign him in January.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #7510 on: August 11, 2021, 12:07:50 PM »

There's a difference between being happy to lose a player and going on the record a few days before the start of the season telling fans he won't be sold under any circumstances.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #7511 on: August 11, 2021, 12:47:39 PM »
Dean has stated we are 18 months off challenging for a European place

So this season looks as though we are aiming for at least 8th with the real push for Europe being next season

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7512 on: August 11, 2021, 12:50:13 PM »
Dean has stated we are 18 months off challenging for a European place

So this season looks as though we are aiming for at least 8th with the real push for Europe being next season

18 months off being in Europe, not challenging for it necessarily.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #7513 on: August 11, 2021, 12:53:51 PM »
No point challenging if you're not gonna be in it. I would hope he is just dampening expectations there. While the threat of the Super League remains, we need to get our fingers out and qualify or the chance might be taken away from us.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7514 on: August 11, 2021, 12:55:38 PM »
Where has he said that? In the Pravda interview last week he said a couple of times that Europe was the target this season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal